School of Architecture and Built Environment at KTH
Applied Urban Design with specialization in Spatial Analysis.
Urban design research develops knowledge and understanding of built structures and artifacts and how they affect people’s everyday life and the development of society. Through research, applied urban design develops theories, methods, approaches, and tools that support the creation of well-designed living environments characterized by equal living conditions and a sustainable society equipped for climate change. The orientation includes further development of methods in urban morphology, urban space analysis, modelling, and space syntax where digitization is an important component.
Work duties include research and development as well as supervision and teaching at all levels. In addition to practical teaching, this entails examiner and course responsibility as well as pedagogical development.
The assistant professor is expected to contribute to the development of the research environment as well as the theories and methods used in research, development and design within the subject area.
The assistant professor is expected to actively seek research grants for the group and further develop collaboration with various actors and networking arenas nationally and internationally.
The assistant professor will be given opportunity to develop their independence as researcher and gain accreditation that may allow them to take other teaching positions with higher eligibility requirements (see Chapter 4, Section 12 a of the Higher Education Ordinance). Following application, the assistant professor can apply for promotion to associate professor in accordance with Chapter 4, Section 12 c of the Higher Education Ordinance.
An individual who has obtained a PhD or equivalent research expertise is qualified for appointment as an assistant professor. Candidates who met those qualifications within five years prior to the expiration of the application period should be prioritized. Other candidates may also be considered if there are extraordinary grounds for doing so. Extraordinary grounds refer to illness, parental leave or similar circumstances.
Grounds of assessments
The assessment criteria for appointment as an assistant professor at KTH are stated in KTH’s appointments procedure section 1.3, and apply in relation to the employment profile laid down.
Of highest importance is that the applicant has
- research expertise demonstrated through research publications, conference attendance, research cooperations, and also other undertakings in the scientific community such as for example, assignments as a reviewer or expert, and participation in research applications.
- an interest in and understanding of pedagogical development within the subject field in question, including the ability to relate to contemporary challenges in architecture, urban design and planning practice, as well as to theoretical and methodological issues.
- potential to qualify for a higher teaching post. This includes the potential for independent development as a researcher and teacher within the subject field in question and also the ability to establish, review and develop the research area in question.
Of second highest importance is that the applicant has
- postdoc visits to a research environment other than the university at which the applicant defended their doctoral thesis. In application-oriented areas, experience from research and development work within the industry or other organizations is considered to correspond to a traditional postdoc visit to another university.
It is also important that the applicant has
- an interest in, and understanding of leadership in an academic environment, third-stream activities, and awareness of diversity and equal treatment issues with a particular focus on gender equality.
- administrative expertise.
- interpersonal skills.
Special grounds of assessment for promotion to associate professor
When assessing applications for promotion to associate professor, the applicant’s ability to independently initiate and carry out research of high academic quality, published in international publications, and the applicant’s ability to obtain financing for research operations will be assessed. Of highest importance is the applicant’s ability to independently establish new collaborations and research specializations. It is also of highest importance that the applicant has displayed teaching and supervising expertise. Ability to teach in Swedish is a merit that is given great importance in the application for promotion.
Trade union representatives
Contact information to trade union representatives can be found at KTH’s web page.
Your application should follow KTH’s CV template for employment of teachers. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete according to the requirements in the ad and CV template.
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
Log into KTH recruitment system in order to apply to this position.
Time limitation: The appointment is for an indefinite term, but no more than six years, and may be extended if, due to the teacher’s absence due to sick leave, parental leave or other special grounds, more time is required to reach the objectives of the appointment. However, the total appointment period may not exceed eight years. The appointment is part of the Tenure Track system at KTH and the assistant professor may apply for promotion to tenured associate professor.
For more information regarding KTH’s assessment, see Appointments procedure at KTH
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
KTH Relocation offers help to relocate and settle in Sweden and at KTH, please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy. Read more here
- Type of employment- Temporary position
- Contract type- Full time
- First day of employment- As soon as possible
- Salary- Monthly pay
- Number of positions- 1
- Full-time equivalent- 100 %
- City- Stockholm
- County- Stockholms län
- Country- Sweden
- Reference number- VL-2022-0138
- Katja Grillner, Professor, +4687908549,firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ann Legeby, Professor, email@example.com
- Margaux Calissendorff, HR, ABElarartillsattningar@abe.kth.se
- Published- 22.May.2023
- Last application date- 17.Aug.2023 11:59 PM CEST