Shaping European Research Leaders for Marine Sustainability (SEAS) is a postdoctoral Fellowships programme for 37 fellows within the field marine sustainability at University of Bergen, Norway
Features of the SEAS Fellowships
- Fixed-term 3-year contract as a postdoctoral research fellow at UiB. The UiB-contract may, under certain conditions, be extended by up to one year if a fellow acquires sufficient funding from other sources than SEAS.
- Competetive salary (see the jobbnorge announcement – may vary according to different faculty policies).
- Welfare benefits* and social benefits including pension-saving, occupational injury insurance, full salary during sick leave for 52 weeks, and paid parental leave**.
- Extension of the position term (work contract) due to sick leave and parental leave.
- Norwegian language courses free of charge.
- High standards for working hours, holidays, place of work, health, and safety.
- Access to specific training activities exclusively provided within the framework of the SEAS programme.
- An individual research budget of minimum € 300 per month for 3 years is guaranteed, and an additional € 300 per month can be applied for, for activities such as secondment, travels, joint events, etc.
- Outgoing fellows will receive full coverage of travel costs for attending the mandatory gatherings (in compliance with UiB-routines for travel procurement and reimbursement).
*) Subject to membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. For non-EU outgoing fellows, individual benefit agreement must be considered.
**) Right to paid parental leave requires 6 months paid work before first day of leave. See full requirements.
SEAS will facilitate international mobility of experienced researchers, and provide exposure to world-class international working environments, networks, supervision, and training. The postdoctoral research fellows will be part of a support and training scheme that will allow them to build highly valued competencies in the competitive international academic and non-academic job markets.
All SEAS fellows will be employed in 3-year fixed-term full-time postdoctoral research fellow positions at UiB. Individual contracts may, under certain conditions, be extended by up to one year if funded from other sources than the SEAS programme.
Eligibility for the SEAS Fellowship
To be considered eligible for academic review, applicants must adhere to the following programme requirements:
- Applications must be submitted through the Jobbnorge portal and include all mandatory elements (see below – How to apply).
- Applicants must hold a PhD degree (or an equivalent degree) in a relevant field prior to the application deadline (if you have not yet received your PhD diploma, you must document that you have defended your thesis successfully)*.
- Applicants cannot previously have been employed as a postdoctoral fellow at UiB.
- The research proposal must be relevant to marine sustainability.
- Applicants must have a high degree of proficiency in English (self-assessed in the CV and demonstrated in the application).
- SEAS mobility rules (if the successful candidate is an outgoing fellow, there is a mandatory return period of 12-18 months at UiB).
- The application and relevant documents must be in English.
(*) For applicants for the Law faculty position only: Applicants must hold a PhD degree within Law prior to the application deadline. Alternatively, you must document that the thesis has been defended successfully, or that the dissertation is currently being evaluated by the PhD evaluation body of your academic institution
All eligible applicants will be evaluated on transparent evaluation criteria by international experts. No restrictions by nationality, age, gender, ethnicity, disability/special needs, or social status will apply.
Documents Required for Application
Check out the Vacancies list to find your suitable position
- Read the advert carefully and familiarise yourself with the application process and requirements
- MSCA mobility rules are strict – please check carefully and contact us early on if there are any questions
- Get in touch with the proposed supervisor or contact person for your position of interest and create a dialogue regarding your project proposal – one of the required elements of the application is a confirmation of a match between you and the UiB host (– and external host for outgoing fellows) – so this contact is essential.
- Download and complete all the SEAS application templates – including your name in all attachment file names. Read the evaluation criteria carefully and use them as a guide for points and aspects to cover in your application.
- Complete the application (with templates attached) in the Jobbnorge portal and submit before the deadline date. Applications received after this date will not be considered.*
- The Evaluation procedure is expected to take approximately 4 months from call deadline (31 October 2021).
*) It is essential that all required attachments are uploaded via our electronic recruiting system Jobbnorge. Before uploading any documents in the portal (to minimise repetition of information):
- In the ‘Jobbnorge-application field’: Only write your name.
- In the ‘Jobbnorge-CV form’: Only fill in your 1) personal details, 2) information about your PhD-degree (in the field ‘Academic qualifications’) and 3) recent relevant work experience.
You do not need to fill in any other sections in the Jobbnorge form, as all the information we need will be provided by you in the attachments.
Selection Process of SEAS Fellowships
|Application Call||– Aug – Oct 21|
– Aug – Oct 22
– Individual evaluations
– Quality control
About the SEAS Fellowships
SEAS is a career and mobility fellowship programme for 37 postdoctoral research fellows within marine sustainability. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 101034309.
Marine and coastal areas face multifaceted challenges, threatening biodiversity and humanity on a global scale. To have an impact on marine sustainability, there is an urgent need to integrate perspectives and insights from a diverse range of fields and sectors.
The University of Bergen’s SEAS programme brings together a variety of aspects of marine sustainability, involving all 7 UiB faculties, and many academic and non-academic partners.
For more details about the Fellowship
About University of Bergen
Vacancies – SEAS Fellowships
- MSCA SEAS postdoctoral research fellow on sustainability within marine geology/geophysics (Expired)
- MSCA SEAS postdoctoral research fellow in early human adaptation to shifting coastlines in southern Africa (Expired)
- MSCA SEAS postdoctoral research fellow in safety and working conditions for maritime workers (Expired)
- MSCA SEAS postdoctoral research fellow in bioinformatics for marine sustainability (Expired)
- MSCA SEAS postdoctoral research fellow in climate and marine biogeochemical cycling (Expired)
- MSCA SEAS postdoctoral research fellow in ocean observation technology (Expired)