About KTH Royal Institute of Technology
KTH Royal Institute of Technology is a public research university in Stockholm, Sweden (Swedish: Kungliga Tekniska högskolan). The largest technical university in Sweden, KTH carries out engineering and technology-related research as well as teaching. Click the link to find KTH world university rankings and subject rankings.
Doctoral studies (PhD) at KTH
To get a doctorate at KTH, you have to work on a research project with the help of a more experienced researcher. You will make your own study plan, take a course as part of a doctoral program, and write a thesis. Doctoral students at KTH usually work and get paid every month.
For a doctoral student to do well, they need to be goal-oriented, driven, and willing to take responsibility for their own work. Your growth is tied to how your research project and coursework are going. Doctoral studies in Sweden are free of tuition.
To apply for a PhD position at KTH, you must have a Master’s degree or equivalent in a related field. You will also need to submit a research proposal, academic transcripts, and letters of recommendation.
General entry requirements for PhD studies
The general entry requirements are met by those who
- have been awarded a second-cycle qualification, or
- have satisfied the requirements for courses comprising at least 240 credits of which at least 60 credits were awarded in the second-cycle or
- otherwise acquired largely equivalent knowledge.
English language proficiency equivalent to (the Swedish upper secondary school) English course B/6 is required.
Visit “Entry requirements for doctoral studies” for complete details.
Doctoral programs and subjects
Here is a list of the doctoral programs at KTH, along with the subjects they cover and the school that is in charge of them.
- Architecture and the Built Environment (ABE)
- Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health (CBH)
- Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS)
- Industrial engineering and management (ITM)
- Engineering sciences (SCI)
Salary for PhD student at KTH Royal Institute of Technology
The doctoral student agreement are locally agreed monthly salaries for employees as doctoral students at KTH.
- Basic salary (step 1): 30,800 SEK
- 30 % (step 2): 31,600 SEK
- 50 % (step 3): 33,800 SEK
- 80 % (step 4): 35,100 SEK
Monthly salary at full-time before tax. According to the doctoral student agreement 2022-10-01.
For all KTH job openings, check out our dedicated page “KTH Royal Institute of Technology Job Vacancies“
Apply today to advance your academic career.