The Eindhoven University of Technology invites applications for a Postdoctoral position in “Efficient learning in hardware for next-generation neuromorphic computing and smart sensors” at the Departments of Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering, the Netherlands – Nov 2022
Departments of Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering
Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, Netherlands
We are looking for a candidate with a demonstrated expertise and background in electrical engineering or circuits, artificial intelligence, microsystems engineering or other relevant discipline. Given the multidisciplinary character of the proposed research the ideal candidate has experience in device physics, circuits, sensors and artificial intelligence and machine learning. Furthermore, the candidate has a hands-on attitude, experimental experience and can work independently as well as collaborate with others.
The postdoc will be supervised by prof. Yoeri van de Burgt, associate professor in Neuromorphic Engineering and prof. Marco Fattori assistant professor in Integrated Circuits, both part of the Eindhoven Hendrik Casimir Institute.
Neuromorphic computing could address the inherent limitations of conventional silicon technology in dedicated machine learning applications. Recent work on large crossbar-arrays of two-terminal memristive devices has led to the development of promising neuromorphic systems. However, delivering a parallel computation technology, capable of embedding artificial neural networks in hardware, remains a significant challenge. Organic electronic materials offer an attractive alternative and can provide neuromorphic devices with low-energy switching and excellent tunability. Here we propose a novel implementation of backpropagation in hardware enabling – for the first time – tuning of multilayer hardware neural network, an essential step for energy-efficient and edge computing systems such as smart sensors.
Key objectives and scientific challenges
- Realisation of a neuromorphic array of optimised organic neuromorphic devices
- Demonstration of novel implementation of weight tuning in hardware
- Development of a modular neuromorphic chip with error backpropagation in hardware
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: V35.6027
We invite you to submit a complete application using the apply-button. The application should include a:
- a personal motivation letter,
- a Curriculum Vitae including the names and contact details of at least two references,
- and an overview of current research activities and interests (1-2 pages).
Only complete applications will be considered. Consideration of the candidates will begin immediately, until the position is filled.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary, please combine files.We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
About the Employer: Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), the Netherlands
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university, in an interdisciplinary setting and within an international network. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for 2years.
- Salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, scale 10.
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- High-quality training programs on general skills, didactics and topics related to research and valorization.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children's day care and sports facilities.
- Partially paid parental leave and an allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A TU/e Postdoc Association that helps you to build a stronger and broader academic and personal network, and offers tailored support, training and workshops.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and a compensation for moving expenses.
Please contact prof. Yoeri van de Burgt, phone +31 40 247 4419, y.b.v.d.burgt[at]tue.nl orprof. Marco Fattori, +31 40 247 7370, M.Fattori[at]tue.nl
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
Advertisement Details: Postdoc Efficient learning in hardware for neuromorphic computing