The University of Gothenburg invites applications for a Senior Lecturer related to planning, execution, follow-up, and development of teaching in food and nutrition, mainly with a focus on nutrition and food science, at the Department of Food and Nutrition and Sport Science, Sweden – Apr 2022
Scroll Down for Content
Position: Senior Lecturer
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Food Science, Nutrition Studies
Deadline to Apply: Expired
Joining Date: Aug 15, 2022
Contract Period: Subject to Norms
Salary: According to standard norms
Scroll Down for Content
Eligibility for employment as a senior lecturer is stated in Chapter 4, Sections 3 - 4 of the Higher Education Ordinance and the University of Gothenburg's own employment ordinance.
Eligible to be employed as a senior lecturer in food and nutrition is the one who has:
- completed a doctoral degree in a relevant postgraduate subject or has equivalent scientific competence or any other professional skill that is important with respect to the subject content of the employment and the work description of the employment.
- demonstrated pedagogical skills.
For eligibility it is also required that the applicant at the time of commencing the employment is capable of teaching in both Swedish and English.
The assessment of merit and skills will only be done among applicants who are eligible. In assessing the applicant's merits, the greatest importance will be attached to scientific and pedagogical expertise, with equal weight. When assessing merits, the same care will be given to the examination of the pedagogical expertise as to the examination of the scientific expertise. Thus, the application should place as much emphasis on presenting merits from educational as well as research experience. In assessing the applicant's merits, emphasis will also be placed on expertise in academic leadership and administration, expertise in collaboration with the surrounding community and personal aptness for university employment.
For the assessment of scientific expertise, the degree of expertise in the following aspects will be taken into account:
- Quality and originality in research in nutrition and / or food science relative to the international scientific community
- Productivity in scientific publishing
- Ability to develop, lead and carry out research, individually and in collaboration with others • Ability to supervise and review in postgraduate education
- Establishment in the scientific community through, for example, expert roles, scientific commissions and participation in networks
The assessment of scientific expertise is primarily done in relation to nutrition and food science specifically, secondly in relation to the whole of food and nutrition and thirdly in relation to other scientific activities.
For the assessment of pedagogical expertise, the degree of expertise in the following aspects will be taken into account:
- Pedagogical qualifications for higher education (education and courses)
- Breadth and depth in pedagogical experience within the subject area of the employment
- Teaching expertise
- Progression and development as a teacher
- Pedagogical development, writing of course literature and production of pedagogical material
- Pedagogical leadership and contribution to collegial knowledge development
- Educational rationality for the applicant's teaching and other educational work and their basis in research and best practice. Assessment of pedagogical expertise takes place primarily in relation to nutrition and food science, secondly in relation to the whole of food and nutrition and thirdly in relation to other pedagogical experience.
Pedagogical qualification for higher education in accordance with requirements at the University of Gothenburg (courses PIL101, PIL102 and PIL103) is expected. If no, such qualification should be validated or the relevant courses completed within one year from the beginning of the employment (See https://pil.gu.se/resurser/merits).
For the assessment of expertise in academic leadership and administration, the following aspects will be taken into account:
- Successful execution of leadership positions, as well as being member of decision and review concerning education, research, and other aspects of academic activities
- Formal and informal leadership in knowledge-developing mileus (e.g. research and educational milieus)
- Holding and carrying out positions of trust in academic activities nationally and internationally, independently or on behalf of the university, regarding both research and education, including collaboration
- Commissioned work with investigations and reviews of specific issues
For the assessment of expertise in collaboration with the surrounding society, the following aspects will be taken into account:
- Information about education, research and development work in various forms
- Initiatives for public education and popular science
- Initiation and implementation of collaborative projects with external actors
- Relevant experience from and insights into the activities of important collaboration actors
- Significant contributions in commissioned education and contract research
For the assessment of personal aptness, good judgment in professional matters, ability to fulfill the tasks included in the employment and ability to cooperate and contribute to the development of the department are taken into account.
When deciding on who to hire on a position as senior lecturer, the applicant must be selected who, after an overall assessment of expertise and potential for development, is judged to have the best capability in carrying out the assignments included in the work description. It is important that the person employed should be able to contribute both with respect to both research and teaching and have the personal qualities required to be able to collaborate internally and externally to contribute to the department's and the subject's academic development. In addition to the assessment criteria that are taken into account in the external review (primarily scientific and pedagogical expertise, and also expertise in academic leadership and administration as well as expertise in collaboration with the surrounding society), the overall assessment will take into account an assessment of personal aptness.
The position is a tenured full time position at the Department of Nutrition and Sports Science. Expected starting date: 2022-08-15
Applications received are first assessed by one or more external experts who propose a top group of applicants. The expert primarily assesses scientific and pedagogical expertise, as well as expertise in academic leadership and administration as well as expertise in collaboration with the surrounding society. In the recruitment process, it may then be relevant with test lectures / seminars, interviews and reference taking. In the interview, the applicant is given the opportunity to describe and develop their own view of the subject and of their possible, future role at the department. The overall assessment will also take into account an assessment of personal aptness, together with the assessment criteria that are taken into account in the expert review.
For further information see https://www.gu.se/om-universitetet/jobba-hos-oss/hjalp-for-sokande
Food and nutrition
Subject area description
Food and nutrition is a third-cycle subject focusing on people’s encounters with food studied from a multidisciplinary perspective. The importance of diet for health promotion and to prevent illness is central, but aspects such as the environment and performance are also dealt with. Food and nutrition includes studies of, among other things, day-to-day behaviour, choices made and habits of individuals and those responsible for diet. This may involve both meals and diets as a whole. Learning, work with change and the thoughts, attitudes and perceptions of individuals concerning diet also represent important starting points for research.
The tasks as senior lecturer relate to planning, execution, follow-up and development of teaching in food and nutrition, mainly with a focus on nutrition and food science in all of the department's educations related to food and nutrition (teacher education in home and consumer knowledge, health promotion, and food, nutrition and leadership). Supervision in education at undergraduate, advanced and postgraduate level may also be part of the employment. Teaching is held both in Swedish and English.
The employment includes responsibility as course leader, syllabus writing and course administration such as communication with students via the university's learning platform Canvas and reporting grades in the Ladok student registry.
The senior lecturer is also expected to conduct research in the subject area of the employment and to apply for external research funding.
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: PAR 2022/280
You apply for the job via the University of Gothenburg's recruitment portal by clicking on the "Apply" button. The application should contain information and documentation of relevance to assess relative to the Criteria for assessment.
In your application the following should be attached:
- Personal letter with motivation for why you are applying for the job
- CV / curriculum vitae, including list of publications
- Report on scientific profile, previous scientific activities and planned research within the employment
- List of a maximum of 10 scientific publications for assessment of scientific expertise that will be included in the application. For co-authored works that are invoked, the applicant's contribution should be specified in this list.
- Report on pedagogical qualifications, including a list of a maximum of 3 written publications for assessment of pedagogical expertise that will be included in the application
- Statement of merits related to academic leadership and administration as well as collaboration with the surrounding society, including a list of a maximum of 3 written reports / publications or of relevance for the assessment of collaboration and/or leadership that will be included in the application
- Relevant diplomas, grades, certificates etc.
A maximum of 10 scientific publications should be attached to the application. A maximum of 3 teaching materials / pedagogical publications and a maximum of 3 publications / reports of relevance for assessment of expertise in collaboration with the surrounding society and academic leadership and administration should be attached to the application.
In addition to what is directly indicated by the headings above, the application is expected to contain, for example, a clear quantitative summary of previous teaching in the subject, with an overview of teaching hours over time and in different courses, as well as qualitative documents (eg description of development work and course material) that illustrate and exemplify the applicant's pedagogical skills. The list of publications should be structured so that peer-reviewed scientific articles, peer-reviewed book chapters and peer-reviewed books are reported under separate headings. Diplomas, grades and certificates must be attached as a single pdf file. As an applicant, you are responsible for ensuring that the application is complete in accordance with the advertisement and the application form and that it is received by the university no later than the last day for application. The publications (and reports etc) that cannot be attached to the application digitally must, in two duplicates, be sent to: Marie Mattsson, Box 300, 405 30 Gothenburg, Sweden. Do not forget to enter reference / record number PAR 2022/280 on the shipment.
About the Department
The vision of the Department of Food and Nutrition and Sport Science is to be a strong, socially engaged department contributing to healthy and sustainable lifestyle, performance and learning by combining food and nutrition science and sport science in eminent education and research. Central themes within Food and Nutrition include eating habits, meals, the significance of food in relation to public health, as well as leadership and organisation in restaurants and institutional households.
Note or Other details
Information for International Applicants
Choosing a career in a foreign country is a big step. Thus, to give you a general idea of what we and Gothenburg have to offer in terms of benefits and life in general for you and your family/spouse/partner please visit:
The University works actively to achieve a working environment with equal conditions, and values the qualities that diversity brings to its operations.Salaries are set individually at the University.In accordance with the National Archives of Sweden’s regulations, the University must archive application documents for two years after the appointment is filled. If you request that your documents are returned, they will be returned to you once the two years have passed. Otherwise, they will be destroyed.In connection to this recruitment, we have already decided which recruitment channels we should use. We therefore decline further contact with vendors, recruitment and staffing companies.
Scroll Down for Content
For questions regarding the position please contact:
Union representatives at the University of Gothenburg can be found here: https://www.gu.se/om-universitetet/jobba-hos-oss/hjalp-for-sokande
Other Vacancies from this field Science and Technology
Scroll Down for Content