Researcher (fulltime) Explainable Artificial Intelligence for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles at Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC), University of Twente, Netherlands 2022
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Computer Science, Geographic Information System (GIS), Photogrammetry
Joining Date: ASAP
Contract Period: Subject to Norms
Salary: 4670 EUR / MONTH
Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
University of Twente, Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Netherlands
- A PhD in Photogrammetry, GIS, deep learning, computer science, or similar;
- An excellent track of record in one or more of these domains;
- Demonstrated programming skills in deep learning with open toolboxes;
- An ability to collaborate in a multidisciplinary environment;
- Excellent communication skills;
- An excellent command of English;
- An affinity with a multi-cultural education environment, excellent work ethics, and commitment to the job;
- Experience in writing research project proposals an teaching experience in MSc courses or equivalent are a pre.
In this era of big data and artificial intelligence (AI), spatial information collected through remote sensing or earth observation is essential for promoting sustainable development. Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), also known as RPAS or drones, can collect very detailed imagery and photogrammetric point clouds. Machine learning and deep learning methods (e.g. CNNs, FCNs) can then automatically process this data into spatial information. Indeed this combination of spatial detail provide by UAVs with automated data processing shows great promise to support sustainable development in Lower-Middle Income Countries (LMICs), particularly in applications such as automated building detection, slum mapping, and disaster risk management.
However, there is also an increasing societal concern regarding Ethical AI or AI for good. There are concerns on how to explain and interpret the “black-box” results so they can be trusted and better utilized for decision-making. UNESCO is drafting Recommendations on the Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and the European Commission is drafting a binding Regulation for Artificial Intelligence. These guidelines emphasize the importance of embedding explainability and interpretability into algorithms. And yet, despite research in the fields of FATML and XAI, there is little knowledge on best practices for explaining the results of algorithms in the geospatial domain.
To address this gap there is a vacant full-time position for a researcher in explainable AI. The successful applicant will integrate explainability techniques into deep learning workflows for classifying UAV imagery. The precise tasks under this theme will be discussed with the applicant and can be flexible to the applicant’s expertise and interest.
This position requires a background in deep learning, XAI, photogrammetry, geographical information science (GIS), earth observation and/or computer vision and must be confirmed by an excellent track record and proven programming skills.
You will collaborate closely with humanitarian and development organizations. The research output will be integrated with the ITC UAV Centre. This Centre centralizes UAV activities at ITC and focusses on the development of educational material, capacity building projects, and consultancy services related to drones and UAVs. It is the intention that your research delivers open source code packages to be reutilized in these projects and can be integrated into the educational material produced by the Centre.
- integrate explainability techniques into deep learning workflows for classifying UAV imagery.
- establish a research line on how to integrate explainable AI (XAI) into deep learning workflows for Earth Observation and UAV data in particular;
- implement reliable and robust deep learning workflows;
- develop and share open codes for reproducible research;
- publish your results in scientific journals;
- present results at appropriate meetings and conferences;
- be involved in educational activities and designing educational material (optional);
- contribute to national and international project development (optional).
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: -
You are also invited to visit our homepage.
Please submit your application before 16 October 2022 (choose “apply now” below). Your application should include:
- A cover letter (maximum 2 pages), emphasizing your specific interest in the position and outlining your relevant skills and experience
- A full Curriculum Vitae
Online job interviews will be scheduled for October 31st.
The University of Twente wants to be an organisation that optimally deploys diversity, talents and capabilities in the labour market for now and the future. In the framework of our diversity and inclusiveness policy, we strongly stimulate people with a (work) disability to apply for this position.
About the Employer: University of Twente (UT), the Netherlands
Note or Other details
We offer a fulltime position in an inspiring and challenging multidisciplinary and international environment for two years. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement (CAO-NU) of the Dutch Universities.
- Gross monthly salary between € 3.413,-- and € 4.670,-- depending on experience and qualifications (job profile Researcher 4);
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- Full status as an employee at the UT, including pension and health care benefits;
- A total of 41 holiday days in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs;
- Costs for moving to Enschede may be reimbursed.
For more information about this position, you can contact Dr. Caroline Gevaert ([email protected]).
Advertisement Details: RESEARCHER (FULLTIME) EXPLAINABLE ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE FOR UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLES