Postdoctoral Fellow in shipping intelligence is available at the Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway Mar 2022
Scroll Down for Content
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Cybernetics
Deadline to Apply: Expired
Joining Date: ASAP
Contract Period: 2 Years
Salary: According to standard norms
Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway
Scroll Down for Content
You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD degree.
- a PhD in subject areas that are close to maritime cybernetics, ie either PhD in cybernetics, preferably with maritime applications, or PhD in maritime subjects, but with a solid background in cybernetics or systems subjects
- good knowledge of control, optimization and data driven methods, with at least 6 high quality publications on the ship control related topic
- experience with ship simulators
- research experience with co-simulation technology
- written and oral fluency in English. The following tests can be used as such documentation: TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are: •TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test) •IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted) •CAE/CPE: grade B or A
Applicants who are about to complete their PhD, ie less than 3 months. to the planned date for the public defense, will be considered as satisfying the requirement for a PhD, but joining the position will be postponed until the public defense has been completed.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- highly desirable with relevant experience from similar projects, especially on ship motion control
- highly desirable with knowledge of data exchange interface with ship simulator
- highly desirable with knowledge of co-simulation in ship intelligence
- highly desirable with knowledge of both data-driven and model-based methods
- with supervise experience for master thesis
- a high level of personal responsibility, initiative, and ability to work in a project team and independently
- excellent communication skills with both technical and administrative staff
- devoted and internally motivated person to work within research and academ
When assessing the best qualified, we place emphasis on education and formal competence, experience and prior learning, personal suitability, as well as your motivation for the position.
We have a vacancy for a postdoctoral fellowship position at Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering.
The postdoctoral fellowship position is a temporary position where the main goal is to qualify for work in senior academic positions.
Today marine systems are operating in highly dynamic environments, which requires the ship model to be able to estimate the current status of the process, and their behaviors in interaction with the environment in the real world. Traditional physics-based models define how the marine system changes over time by means of complex ordinary differential equations derived theoretically, which are rational but not compatible with noise and disturbances. In the absence of a high-fidelity numerical model of the target ship, data-driven techniques are preferred to learn and reflect the system. However, large quantities of process data are required before they are useful. By enabling the incorporation of prior domain knowledge into the black-box model, the hybrid modeling approach is proposed recently in the Intelligent Systems Lab at our department, and convinced to be effective in improving forecast accuracy.
The Postdoctoral candidate will be guided and supported to develop optimization tools and integrate them into the framework of the SFI MOVE and KPN Twinship project.
You will report to Head of the department.
Duties of the position
The Postdoc candidate will utilize hybrid modeling for ship hydraulic modelling, ship trajectory generation under different situations to support advanced maneuver in maritime operations. Research duties include:
- hybrid modelling research in ship motion prediction;
- support research activity in NTNU Gunnrus project;
- coordinator remote control centre for ship intelligence.
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: IV-73/22
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- letter of motivation
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's-, master's- and PhD degrees
- academic works - at least 6 high quality publications on the ship control related topic
- name and address of three referees
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
Note or Other details
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 545 300 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment two years.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
Working at NTNU A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Ålesund, with its population of 50 000, will provide you with plenty of opportunities to explore a region of Norway that is famous for its beautiful scenery with high mountains and blue fjords. Ålesund itself, with its Art Nouveau architecture, is by many considered to be the most beautiful city in Norway! The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-73/22 when applying.
Scroll Down for Content
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Professor Houxiang Zhang, email [email protected]. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR Consultant Nelly Ann Longva, e-mail: [email protected].
Scroll Down for Content