Postdoctoral Fellow in Emerging Learning Technologies is available for doctoral degree candidates in Computer Science at Department of Computer Science, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway 2022
Scroll Down for Content
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Computer Science, Machine learning
Deadline to Apply: Expired
Joining Date: ASAP
Contract Period: 2 years
Salary: NOK 553 500 per annum before tax
Department of Computer Science
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway
Scroll Down for Content
The position requires strong English oral and writing skills as the candidate will be interacting with a team of international researcher. The job will include providing several progress reports in English.
If the applicant's degree is not from an English-speaking country, the following tests can be used as documentation: TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A.
In extraordinary circumstances, formal documentation of language skills can be relinquished. In such cases the candidate’s language skills will be assessed in a personal interview.
- You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree in learning technologies/learning analytics with an emphasis in project/game-based learning or equivalent is required, or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD.
- You must have a professionally relevant background in learning technologies, interaction design and learning/play.
- Strong publication record in the area of learning technology and child-computer interaction.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
• Experience with participation in research projects (e.g., EU, national).• Experience with learning technologies and student’s learning.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as in teams.
- Strong motivation to contribute to good working and social environment.
The Department of Computer Science (IDI) have a vacancy for a 100% Postdoc in emerging learning technologies.
The postdoctoral fellowship position is a temporary position where the main goal is to qualify for work in senior academic positions.
The successful candidate is expected to be a member of the Learner-Computer Interaction (LCI) lab. LCI provides an interdisciplinary playground for researchers and professionals across all areas of learning technologies, psychology, learning sciences, and interaction design.
The position is expected to contribute on the design and development of Emerging Digital Technologies, aiming to use Artificial Intelligence (AI); Augmented Reality (AR); 3D printing; and Virtual Robotics technologies, in order to enhance the pedagogical value, sustainable digitization and potential for wide deployment of Design Thinking (DT) projects in schools to foster 21st century skills. It also aims to contribute to teachers’ professional development by providing courses and guidelines for them to become allies in designing, implementing, and evaluating DT projects in their classroom. Those objectives will be achieved collaboratively with international partners participating in a H2020, European project expected to start in September or October 2022 (subject to grant agreement).
You will report to Head of Department.
Duties of the position
The candidate will be a member of the Information Systems and Software Engineering Unit and the LCI lab, and work with the H2020 project expected to start in September/October 2022 (subject to grant agreement).
The successful candidate will work with the following tasks:
- Conduct a review with a focus on the development of a holistic framework, that identifies the key components, perspectives, and competencies for supporting design thinking learning with emerging technologies; and then develop of a set of guidelines for supporting the massive and inclusive deployment of the approaches described in the framework.
- Support with the design and development of the Emerging Digital Technologies relevant to the project (in relation to: Augmented Reality, 3D printing Virtual Robotics, programming tools applications and other similar platforms, use of Learning Analytics components for analysis and dashboard visualization).
- Contribute to the relevant objectives and deliverables of the project.
- Participate and contribute to the relevant communication and dissemination activities of the project.
- Author relevant to the project publications and reports.
- Assist in the administrative tasks of the EU, H2020 project.
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: 2022/17995
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- Academic CV, certificates and diplomas.
- Transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's-, master's- and PhD degrees.
- The PhD thesis and other publications (Max 5) relevant to the research scope and any other work which the applicant wishes to be taken into account should clearly indicate the applicant's contribution.
- 1 page cover letter that includes a description of how your research interests and background would fit the position.
- 1-2 pages (up to 1000 words) essay that provides your view of the main research challenges in emerging learning technologies and the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI); Augmented Reality (AR); 3D printing; and Virtual Robotics technologies, for wide deployment of Design Thinking (DT) projects for students in “learning by doing”concepts.
- Name and address of three referees.
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
About the Department/Section/Group
Department of Computer Science
We are the leading academic IT environment in Norway, and offer a wide range of theoretical and applied IT programmes of study at all levels. Our subject areas include hardware, algorithms, visual computing, AI, databases, software engineering, information systems, learning technology, HCI, CSCW, IT operations and applied data processing. The Department has groups in both Trondheim and Gjøvik. The Department of Computer Science is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Note or Other details
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 553 500 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 2 years.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
Working at NTNU A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number 2022/17995 when applying.
Scroll Down for Content
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Sofia Papavlasopoulou, email [email protected] or Head of department, Heri Ramampiaro, e-mail [email protected]. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR, e-mail: [email protected].
Other Vacancies from this field
Scroll Down for Content