Postdoctoral Researcher in Circadian control of mitochondrial metabolism in type 2 diabetes at the Strategic Research Programme for Diabetes (SRP Diabetes) at Karolinska Institute – Sweden, Oct 2021
Fellowship/Scholarship: Karolinska Institutet Scholarships
No. of Positions: 1
Eligibility (Gender): Common
Eligibile Nationals: All Nationals
Research Field: Biomedical Sciences (Engineering), Medical Science
Deadline to Apply: October 20, 2021 (GMT +2)
Joining Date: -
Contract Period: Not Mentioned
Salary: According to Standard Norms
Qualified to be employed as a postdoctor is one who has obtained a doctorate or has equivalent scientific competence. Applicants who have not completed a doctorate at the end of the application period may also apply, provided that all requirements for a completed degree are met before the (intended) date of employment. This must be substantiated by the applicant's main supervisor, director or equivalent.
- PhD in a medical/biological subject (to be completed in 2021)
- Knowledge of mitochondrial respiration, mammalian metabolism and circadian biology
- Documented experience with animal handling
- Demonstrated experience with mammalian tissue culture techniques and biochemical assays
- Work independently and interactively in a team setting, and be enthusiastic, motivated and proactive
- Excellent planning, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
Each Fellowship and research Project is for up to two years (with possibility to apply for a 1-year extension). We will prioritize applicants who have the opportunity to complete the project and be employed for two years. Preference should be given to those who were awarded a PhD or attained equivalent research competence no more than three years prior to the expiry of the application period for the position as postdoc.
- Plan, manage and conduct an agreed academic research project and associated activities.
- Test hypotheses and analyse scientific data from a variety of sources, reviewing and refining working hypotheses as appropriate.
- Develop research questions, analyse detailed and complex qualitative and/or quantitative data from a variety of sources, and contribute original ideas for new research projects.
- Coordinate multiple aspects of work to deliver novel research data in accordance with established timelines set between you and the Principal Investigator.
- Adapt existing and develop new scientific techniques and experimental protocols to support research.
- Regularly write research articles at an international level for peer-reviewed journals, book chapters, and reviews.
- Formally present your research and represent the research group at internal, national and international conferences and meetings, either with other members of the team or alone.
- Informally present your research to the group at established meetings.
- Act as a source of information and advice to other members of the group on scientific protocols and experimental techniques.
How to Apply?
Online Application through "Apply Now" Button from this page or from advertisement webpage (URL below)Reference Number: -STÖD 2-4276/2021
(If any, use it in the necessary place)
About the Karolinska Institutet Scholarships
If you consider that you meet the selection criteria, click on the Login and apply button on this page and follow the on-screen instructions to register as a user. You will then be required to provide information in a number of screens with your application details, relating to your skills and experience. When prompted, please provide details of three references. You will also be required to upload a CV and Personal Letter which explains how you meet the selection criteria for the post. The Personal Letter (maximum two pages) should explain your relevant experience which may have been gained in employment, education, or you may have taken time away from these activities as illness, military service, work for labour unions or student organisations, parental leave or similar circumstances. Your application will be judged in part on the basis of how you demonstrate that you meet the selection criteria outlined above and we are happy to consider evidence of transferable skills or experience which you may have gained outside the context of paid employment or education. Please save all uploaded documents to show your name and the document type.
About the Project
Mitochondria are a central node for the integration of nutrient and energy homeostasis and are highly dynamic organelles that cope with oscillations in energy demand imposed by energetic stressors throughout the day. Preliminary results from our group indicate that mitochondrial rhythmicity of respiration is lost in skeletal muscle from type 2 diabetic patients. The mechanisms underlying disrupted circadian rhythmicity of the intrinsic molecular clock in type 2 diabetes are currently unknown. The main objective of this project is to determine whether there is bidirectional signaling between the core clock and pathways coordinating mitochondrial metabolism, and the extent to which the circadian transcriptional machinery is disrupted in type 2 diabetes. These questions are clinically relevant given the dynamic diurnal changes in a plethora of hormones, metabolites and substrates. The postdoctoral fellow will adopt multi-disciplinary approaches, integrating animal models and cell-based systems with clinical material from type 2 diabetic patients to identify and functionally validate candidate transcription factors and transcriptional pathways for intervention to restore circadian rhythmicity in type 2 diabetes. This project will also include usage of RNA-seq, ChIP-seq and interaction proteomics as well as respirometry and microscopy. The successful candidate will receive necessary basic training within these technologies.
About the Department
The Strategic Research Programme for Diabetes (SRP Diabetes) at Karolinska Institutet is funding a prestigious fellowship programme for postdoctoral research fellows. The Programme is focused on research in diabetes and its comorbidities. With this postdoctoral programme SRP Diabetes aims to support the next generation of exceptional young scientists within the diabetes area, including both experimental and clinical research. To promote cross-fertilization between research environments, we encourage scientists wishing to pursue postdoctoral training in a different university from where they carried out doctoral studies. As part of this programme,we are looking to recruit 5 outstanding postdoctoral research fellows. Full details on each project and contact information to the PIs can be found at: http://ki.se/en/srp-diabetes/postdoctoral-fellowshipsBased at Karolinska Institutet, fellows will undertake a cutting-edge research project, mentored by world-leading researchers in the field of diabetes. To increase coherence around the Fellowship programme, several events will be held throughout the year such as high-profile lectures, symposia, etc. which the fellows will attend.The fellowships are fully funded, and salary is provided for a 2-year period. If contingent funding is secured by the SRP Diabetes Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme, Principal Investigators together with the Fellows will be able to apply for a one-year extension of the Fellowship. It is our intention that the positions will start in the autumn of 2021, though some flexibility with the start date might be possible
About the Employer: Karolinska Institute (KI)
- Juleen Zierath, Professor, email@example.com
Advertisement Details: Postdoctoral Researcher/The Strategic Research Programme for Diabetes
Support us by Sharing!