PhD Stipend in Integrated Design for Reliability of Motor Drives in High-Power High-Speed Machines at Faculty of Engineering and Science, Department of Energy, Aalborg University, Denmark 2022
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Computer Science, Electrical engineering, Energy Systems Engineering (Energy Engineering)
Joining Date: ASAP
Contract Period: Subject to Norms
Salary: Subject to norms
Faculty of Engineering and Science, Department of Energy
Aalborg University Copenhagen, A. C. Meyers Vænge, Copenhagen Municipality, Denmark
Applicants must satisfy the following eligibility conditions for MSCA Early-Stage Researchers:
- they must have obtained their master’s degree in the past 4 years and must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies) in Denmark for more than 12 months in the past 3 years. Applications of candidates not fulfilling these eligibility conditions will not be considered.
- be eligible to enroll or be enrolled in the University PhD program (https://www.phd.engineering.aau.dk/)
Applicants are required to have an excellent academic background with a master’s degree or equivalent in Energy Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or any other related discipline, with skills in Power Electronics. Applicants who are in the final phase of their master’s degree are also encouraged to apply but have to complete the master before starting the fellowship.
- Motivation and potential for research activities. Ability to work independently and in a team. Be innovative and creative. Keep an open mind.
- Expertise with the following topics: Condition and Health Monitoring of Power Electronics, Power Electronics Reliability, design for reliability, Weibull Analysis, wear-out modeling.
- Expertise with the following engineering tools and programming languages: Optimization, MATLAB, DSP programming.
- Prior experience on any of these topics will be valued: Machine learning/deep learning, Data analytics.
- Excellent English language skills (both oral and written).Publications in international journals/conferences will be valued.
At the Faculty of Engineering and Science, Department of Energy, a PhD stipend is available within the general study program Energy Technology. The PhD stipend is open for appointment from 1st January 2023 or soon after. The position is for 3 years.
Aalborg University contributes to the knowledge building of the global society as well as the development of prosperity, welfare and culture of Danish society. This is accomplished through research, research-based education, public sector services and knowledge collaboration. AAU educates students for the future and activities are based on a dynamic and transformative collaboration with the surrounding community.
The candidate will get strong guidance from supervisors from universities and one guiding expert from industry, to get the best understanding on latest industrial aspects.
You also will be in a very good position to join R+D departments of Energy Companies and to apply for a postdoc position in any of the top EU academic institutions. You will have a balance knowledge of Technology and Business Models, and a set of relevant scientific publications, a PhD Degree and, potentially, international patents.The main objective of this PhD project is to develop a new systematic approach for Integrated Design for Reliability of Motor Drives in High-Power High-Speed Machines. Integrated design of drivetrain in high-power high-speed machines (HPHSM) is an effective technical approach to enhance the overall system efficiency, safety and power-to-weight ratio. Power converters are one of the main parts of these systems that control the machine speed and torque by driving an electrical machine. In order to obtain a high efficiency, and high power-to-weight ratio, the power converter should be appropriately designed.Various factors affect the converter performance including operating conditions, electric machine specifications, cooling system characteristics, converter topology and power modules technologies. Therefore, an integrated design approach is required to combine different disciplines of control and operation, cooling and thermal modeling, mission profile analysis, electric machinery, mechatronics and mechanical vibration. This will guarantee desired performance, i.e., reliability and efficiency of the power converter with respect to its weight.
As a trained researcher you will have many opportunities to develop an industrial career in any part of the world, but especially in the EU. You will be trained in electric, power electronic and ITC technologies and in business models, and have a secondment in a complimentary training environment as part of your assignments. You will have a balance knowledge of Technology and Business Models, and a set of relevant scientific publications, a PhD Degree and, potentially, international patents.
The expected outcomes from this project are as follows:
- Integrated design for reliability approach in highly integrated power electronics
- Analytical reliability modeling considering multi-physics failure mechanisms in power electronics in motor drives
- Optimized power converter design considering critical failure mechanisms to obtain high power density based on developed multi-physics reliability model
- Set of validated test results and designing a reliable power electronic hardware prototype.
The research topic will be contextualized in WP-5 sustainability of high-speed drives, being supervised by Prof. Frede Blaabjerg at AAU Energy, and with a complementary secondment Danfoss Drives (Denmark).
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: 14-22093
For consideration, interested applicants should submit the following documents:
- Letter of motivation
- Diplomas confirming academic degrees (Master degree), and the academic transcripts.
- Curriculum vitae
- Publications (if applicable)Project description (4-5 pages), which describes the applicant’s initial thoughts and ideas related to the specific project applied for. This includes a brief state-of-the-art (including short list of references), a time schedule and how the applicant intends to shed light on the project objectives. All documentation should be in English and merged in a single PDF document. Please, note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
About the Department/Section/Group
AAU Energy is a dynamic engineering research department in continuous growth and inspiring surroundings. AAU Energy has a very international environment and covers all areas of clean and sustainable energy systems of the future within electrical, thermal and mechatronic energy technology. AAU Energy has campuses in both Aalborg and Esbjerg, this position is located in Aalborg.
The mission is to be world leading in both research and research-based education of the energy engineers of the future. AAU Energy has approx. 300 employees of many nationalities, of which 25 are administrative staff. In addition, AAU Energy constantly has approx. 50-70 guest researchers from around the world.
Research and teaching are in the absolute world elite in the field of energy, and we have extensive and leading workshop and laboratory facilities, where research and innovation are carried out in direct collaboration with industry to a great extent. The position is offered in relation to the research program Power Electronic Control, Reliability and System Optimization and the PhD Student will be positioned to the section for Applied Power-Electronic Systems.
The position is part of an integrated HIgh-speed POwer systems for industry and mobile applications (HIPO), which is a Doctoral Network in Marie Skłodowska-Curie (MSCA) Innovative Training Networks (ITN) program running from 2022 to 2026 in Europe with 6 academic institutions: LUT, KIT, CHALMERS, DTU, Aalborg and UNIPI. HIPO project is aimed to train 10 innovative and highly skilled doctoral candidates (DCs) in the field industry and mobile applications. This position is one of the 10 doctoral student positions in the MSCA HIPO doctoral network.
About the Employer: Aalborg University (AAU), Denmark
Note or Other details
You may obtain further professional information from Frede Blaabjerg, AAU Energy, phone: +45 21292454, email: [email protected].
PhD stipends are allocated to individuals who hold a Master's degree. PhD stipends are normally for a period of 3 years. It is a prerequisite for allocation of the stipend that the candidate will be enrolled as a PhD student at the Doctoral School of Engineering and Science in accordance with the regulations of Ministerial Order No. 1039 of August 27, 2013 on the PhD Programme at the Universities and Certain Higher Artistic Educational Institutions. According to the Ministerial Order, the progress of the PhD student shall be assessed at regular points in time.
Shortlisting will be applied. This means that subsequent to the deadline for applications the head of department supported by the chair of the assessment committee will select candidates for assessment. All applicants will be informed whether they will be assessed or not.
For more information of The Doctoral School of Engineering and Science: www.phd.engineering.aau.dk
The application is only to be submitted online by using the "Apply online" button below.
AAU wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background or belief.
Appointment and salary as a PhD fellow are according to the Ministry of Finance Circular of 28 June 2019 on the Collective Agreement for Academics in Denmark, Appendix 5, regarding PhD fellows, and with the current Circular of 11 December 2019 on the employment structure at Danish universities.
For further information about stipends and salary as well as practical issues concerning the application procedure contact Ms. Lisbeth Diinhoff, The Doctoral School at The Faculty of Engineering and Science, email: [email protected] , phone: +45 9940 9589.