PhD student position in in the history of architectural theory: The scientific revolution and the relationship between architectural theory and architectural technology for applicants with master’s level preferably a professional relevant background in architecture is available at the Department of Architecture and Technology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway- March 2022.
Scroll Down for Content
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Architecture
Deadline to Apply: Expired
Joining Date: ASAP
Contract Period: 4 Years
Salary: According to standard norms
Department of Architecture and Technology
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway
Scroll Down for Content
- You must have a professionally relevant background in architecture.
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree programme, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty's doctoral program
- Master’s degree in architecture (120 cu) completed with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic foundation. If you are unable to meet these criteria you may be considered only if you can document that you are particularly suited for education leading to a PhD degree.
- Competence and interests in relevant architectural theory, preferably documented through previous work or publications.
- Excellent written and oral skill in English and Scandinavian language (Norwegian, Danish, or Swedish).
- Knowledge of other languages to the extent necessary for the work on the research project. The formulation of the project should include a statement about other languages which are necessary to complete the project and a statement about the candidate’s skills in those languages.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
- Good communication skills and interest and skills in teaching.
- Interest in scholarly work and historical research in architecture and technology.
- Flexible and reliable.
We have a vacancy for a PhD position in the history of architectural theory: The scientific revolution and the relationship between architectural theory and architectural technology
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
The position pertains to the relationship between post-Renaissance architectural and aesthetical theories, and theories and methods regarding functional, structural, and tectonic aspects of architecture. We are looking for project proposals that address the impact of the scientific revolution of the seventeenth and eighteenth century on the complex nexus between architectural theory and developments in architecture-related science and technology. The theories we wish to see historically investigated are those that explicitly engage architecture's technological and functional matters, and we encourage proposals that pertain to unexplored topics and include theorists besides the most researched ones.
The position is a strategic effort by the Department to strengthen academic competence and discourse on architectural issues concerning technology seen in a historic light. The Department of Architecture and Technology considers this PhD position to be of vital importance for securing a continued deepening of theoretical knowledge of the way new possibilities and pragmatic issues related to structures, building materials and construction influence architectural thinking and architectural ideals.
You will report to Head of Department.
Duties of the Position
The PhD appointee will pursue the following objectives:
- Conduct independent research and complete the PhD dissertation.
- Publish results in scholarly journals and participate in conferences.
- Cooperate with colleagues at department and faculty in research and teaching.
The position is normally for three years. A fourth year can be considered, depending on the competence and experience of the candidate and the need of the department. If so, the additional year (usually 25% over four years) will be teaching, research and administration within the department. The teaching options includes theory lectures as well as teaching in design studios, mainly for students at Master program of architecture, but also for students of architecture together with students of engineering.
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: -
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include (Departments to choose from the following):
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master's thesis. If you recently have submitted your master's thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master's degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- Project-proposal of maximum 3 pages A4 (including references). The project-proposal should specify objectives and background and suggest methodical approach and expected outcomes of the PhD-project.
- Cover letter of maximum 2 pages A4, where you describe your personal motivation and how you intend to fill the position.
- Please in the cover letter include a paragraph suggesting your contribution to teaching (to be done in the optional 25%/1-year teaching and research duties of the position, see also “duties of the position”).
- Academic and/or artistic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 3 works).
- A separate portfolio of maximum 10 pages, presenting project from education or architectural design practice, is preferred but is not a condition.
- Names and email addresses of three referees.
Language of the application:
- The project proposal must be in English.
- The cover letter must in Scandinavian language (Norwegian, Danish og Swedish).
- Other supporting documentation can be in English or in Scandinavian Language.
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
About the Department/Section/Group
Salary and Conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 491 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 or 4 years, depending on qualifications of the candidate and the needs of the department.Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in architecture within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
Scroll Down for Content
If you have any questions about the position, please contact contact
- Professors Branko Mitrovic, phone +47 75 59 50 35,
- Bendik Manum, phone +47 73 95 50 57 or
- Bjørn Normann Sandaker, [email protected]
If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact
- HR advisor Natalia Swahn, [email protected]
Other Vacancies from this field Science and Technology
Scroll Down for Content