PhD researcher position available on the topic “Contesting national sovereignty? Transnational civil society activism and EU external action against deforestation” for the Political or Social Sciences degree (master’s level or equivalent). It is a 3-year-long doctoral fellowship is offered as part of a specific collective project within a multiannual international research effort on Globalisation, Europe, and Multilateralism (GEM).
Scroll Down for Content
Scroll Down for Content
The thought of doing PhD research makes you really enthusiastic and you do not shy away from the challenge of working with supervisors and a mentor in different (non-)academic institutions. You have experience with desk research and first ideas on how to combine it with empirical work and are ready to turn your findings in a consistent piece of academic writing. You understand that achieving such a project within three years asks for dedication and efficient self-management and you are good at that. At the same time, you are open in your communication with your supervisors so that the project gets all the support available.
In addition, you:
- Have a Political or Social Sciences degree, master’s level or equivalent; a research master will be an advantage – for ECTS requirements see the call;
- Have knowledge of European integration and EU policy-making processes, as well as of EU External policies
- Are familiar with and interested in research transnational environmental governance
- are proficient in English (attested either through a previous English language diploma, or an internationally recognised proficiency test (i.e., IELTS, IBT, TOEFL or Cambridge);
- preferably are in the first four years of your research career
- have not yet been accepted for a PhD programme
- fulfil the mobility requirements (no residence or activities in the Netherlands for more than 12 months cumulatively in the 3 years prior to October 2022.
Do you enjoy:
- Being part of a vibrant research community and of an international research project
- Participating in academic exchanges
Then the job of PhD researcher for the project GEM DIAMOND at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is perfect for you as a Master of Political or Social Sciences or research master.
What are you going to do
This 3-year-long doctoral fellowship is offered as part of a specific collective project within a multiannual international research effort on Globalisation, Europe, and Multilateralism (GEM). This project, coordinated by the Institut d’études européennes (IEE) at the Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB), will assess the EU’s capacity to act given the challenges facing Democratic Institutions, the rise of Alternative MOdels and mounting Normative Dissensus (DIAMOND).
GEM-DIAMOND is a Marie Skłodowska Curie Action - Doctoral Network (MSCA-DN) involving 7 European and 4 international degree-awarding Higher Education Institutes (HEIs) alongside 6 well-established non-academic institutions. The project will hire and train 16 doctoral fellows to help address knowledge gaps associated with the growing normative tensions undermining multilateral and democratic practice. Four of the 16 doctoral fellows will be based at the University of Amsterdam, three of whom at the Social and Behavioral Sciences Faculty.
The goal of the research project (ESR9 within working package 3, Internal contestation and its impact on the EU) is to develop a detailed analysis of a given case study elucidating the processes by which contestation regarding liberal democracy shapes the EU’s capacity to act. Your specific project will be entitled Contesting national sovereignty? Transnational civil society activism and EU external action against deforestation and is in the fields of international relations and European Studies.
Within the three years allocated to the project you will execute your PhD research in close collaboration with the other Amsterdam project team members at the Faculty of Social Sciences and during two extended research stays at the LUISS and at Center for European Policy Studies (CEPS). Your research project will be supervised by Professor Jonathan Zeitlin (UvA) and Professor Thomas Christiansen (LUISS) and mentored by Dr Vasileios Rizos (CEPS). It will lead to completion and publication of a PhD dissertation and a joint doctorate from the Universities of Amsterdam and LUISS. You will participate in all collective research and training activities and submit to the program’s regular joint evaluations. For further information on the research project and the tasks associated with it, see www.gem-diamond.eu
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: 9422
Do you recognize yourself in the job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your application by 3 July 2022. You may apply online by using the link below.
If you feel the profile fits you, and you are interested in the job, we look forward to receiving your application. Candidates must apply though the GEM-DIAMOND online application system, which will request the following information:
- A personal profile form (incl. CV overview)
- A scientific profile form (incl. ESR’s expression of interest, statement of motivation and a personal research project fitting with the description of the individual PhD project above)
- A full academic CV
- An academic record with scan of the degree qualifications
- A proof of language proficiency
- Two academic recommendation letters consisting of the documents listed below.
About Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
A challenging work environment with a variety of duties and ample scope for individual initiative and development within an inspiring organization. The social and behavioral sciences play a leading role in addressing the major societal challenges faced by the world, the Netherlands and Amsterdam, now and in the future.
Want to know more about our organisation? Read more about working at the University of Amsterdam.
At University of Amsterdam, your research will be carried out within the Social and Behavioral Science Department of UvA, under the guidance of Professor Jonathan Zeitlin (co-supervisor) and with Professor T. Christiansen (LUISS, co-supervisor).
The faculty unites a diverse group of researchers and has a strong track-record of excellent research and sustains a dynamic research culture through a series of events and initiatives. Additionally, you will benefit from the collaboration in the international GEM DIAMOND network, including stays at the LUISS and the CEPS.
You will have the opportunity to participate in the Amsterdam Social and Behavioral Science PhD training programme and be part of its PhD community.
We offer an employment contract for one year with a probationary period of two months, preferably starting on 1 October 2022. The appointment will be extended for another two years upon favourable evaluation, i.e. until 31 September 2025. The employment contract is for 38 hours a week.
Your salary in the first year will be €2.443 gross per month on the basis of a full working week of 38 hours. This sum does not include the 8% holiday allowance and the 8.3% year-end allowance. The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU) is applicable.
What else do we offer
- a position in which initiative and input are highly valued
- an enthusiastic and warm team that is open to new colleagues
- an inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
Scroll Down for Content
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Professor Jonathan Zeitlin, [email protected]
Other Vacancies from this field
Scroll Down for Content