The University of Groningen invites applications for a position as Head of English section/English lecturer at the Language Centre, the Netherlands – May 2022
Scroll Down for Content
Position: Head of English section/English lecturer
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Language Studies
Deadline to Apply: Expired
Joining Date: ASAP
Contract Period: Subject to Norms
Salary: 3,821 EURO/Month
Scroll Down for Content
- experienced and qualified teacher of English at an academic level (Master’s degree or equivalent qualification), in possession of a UTQ (University Teaching Qualification) or equivalent, a PhD is preferred
- native or near-native speaker of English
- a minimum of five years’ experience as a teacher in higher education
- at least three years of managerial experience
- vision and insight into the business side of education (financial management, monitoring of teaching hours), with a strong analytical perspective
- knowledge of and experience with online teaching
- organizational sensitivity and unifying leadership
- in view of the international character of the Language Centre, sufficient knowledge of Dutch (oral and written) is needed to preferable at least CEFR B2 level.
Tasks and responsibilities as Head of Section:
- translating, developing, and monitoring the policy, vision, and strategy of the section on the basis of the section’s own plan
- managing, coaching, and guiding a team of 17 teachers
- stimulating professional development, monitoring the performance of staff members, conducting result and development interviews
- conducting job interviews with potential employees
- initiating new courses, developing and renewing existing courses, and monitoring the quality of courses
- acquiring assignments, maintaining client contacts and networks, conducting acquisition interviews with potential clients, and drawing up quotations
- providing information for and monitoring the financial reports and forecasts in consultation with the Head of Operations and the Financial Controller
- ensuring and monitoring the efficient deployment of teachers and the annual schedule of the course range; providing information for the preparation of timetables.
The Head of Section is also an English lecturer themselves and, like the other coordinators and heads, also teaches in addition to performing management tasks. In this way, the Head of Section keeps in touch with practice.
Tasks and responsibilities as lecturer:
- providing English language training for various target groups, at different levels and in different contexts, both as part of regular degree programmes and in courses developed by the Language Centre itself
- carrying out needs analyses and setting up/developing courses based on customer demand
- carrying out various teaching tasks at an academic level
- maintaining knowledge of recent developments in the field as well as gaining insight into the implications of online teaching on didactics, course participants and lecturers.
Position in the organizationThe Head of Section:
- is part of the management team (MT) of the Language Centre, comprising the Director, the Head of Operations, and the heads of the Dutch, English, Modern Foreign Languages, and Intercultural Communication sections
- is accountable to the Director of the Language Centre and coordinates with the Faculty’s Financial Controller and Management Controller
- is directly supported by a dedicated staff member (section support staff) of the Support Office.
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: -
Please send your application to us, by submitting the following documents:
- letter of application
- curriculum vitae.
You may apply for this position until 5 May 11:59pm / before 6 May 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Job interviews will be held on 18 May 2022.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/(...)rsity-and-inclusion/Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
About the Department/Section/Group
‘Express yourself — understand the world’ is the motto of the Language Centre of the University of Groningen. We believe that we can make the world a better place by supporting our clients in developing their language and intercultural skills so that they can perform optimally in their work and studies. We are inspired, innovative, and focused.
The Language Centre, an independent business unit located in the Faculty of Arts, offers intercultural and language training (at individual and group level) in various languages, at various levels, for general and specific purposes, for all staff and students of the University of Groningen, and for clients outside the University (companies, government institutions, individuals). In addition to our open range, many of the courses we provide are tailor-made, designed to meet the client's needs. The Language Centre comprises the English, Dutch, Modern Foreign Languages, and Intercultural Communication sections and the Translation and Correction Service. The Support Office, comprising section support staff and a marketing and sales team, supports the sections and the business operations as a whole.We have an international team of about 100 staff members. As a business unit within the University, the Language Centre is responsible for covering all costs itself.
English sectionThe English section provides classes for students of various faculties as part of their curriculum. The section also provides a large number of customized courses for students and staff at the UG and for external clients, and it also offers a variety of English courses through its open range.
Conditions of employment
We offer a salary in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- depending on education and experience, of € 3,821 to € 5,230 gross per month (salary scale 11) in the case of full-time appointment. This position is in conformity with the University Job Ranking (UFO) profiles of Department Head 3 and Skills Teacher 1
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income and an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
- a temporary appointment of twelve months; upon satisfactory performance, an appointment for an indefinite period.
Starting date: as soon as possible
Scroll Down for Content
For information you can contact:
- Drs. A.M. (Anje) Dijk, +31 50 3635803, [email protected]
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.
Other Vacancies from this field Social Science and Humanities
Scroll Down for Content