Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.
Lund University School of Economics and Management is one of eight faculties within Lund University. More than 4 000 students and 450 researchers, teachers and other staff are engaged here in training and research in economic history, business administration, business law, informatics, economics, statistics and research policy.Lund University School of Economics and Management is accredited by the three largest and most influential accreditation institutes for business schools: EQUIS, AMBA and AACSB. Only just over 100 business schools in the world have achieved this prestigious Triple Crown accreditation.
The Department of Statistics employs about 20 researchers, teachers, doctoral students and other staff. We conduct research in several areas: analysis of high-dimensional data, Bayesian methods, spatial-temporal models, non-Gaussian modeling, applied research in social science, as well as stochastic models and computational statistics.
More information can be found on the department’s website: https://stat.lu.se/en/research.
Lund University announces a permanent position of a Senior Lecturer in statistics. The position is full time, with placement at the Department of Economics, Lund University School of Economics and Management.
The position involves both teaching (70 %) and research/competence development/administration combined (30 %). During the first year, the distribution will be 50 % teaching, and 50 % research/competence development/administration.
The department needs teaching and supervision in several areas and at different levels. The exact distribution of teaching in this position will therefore depend on the profile and interests of the new employee.
The department strives for its teachers to teach at different levels. In addition, we anticipate an increased need for supervision due to expansion of course offering in the field of modern data science.
In a longer perspective, the holder of the position is expected to actively seek and obtain external research funding.
Those qualified for appointment as a senior lecturer are a person who has demonstrated teaching expertise and been awarded a PhD or has the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise that is of value in view of the subject matter of the post and the duties that it will involve. (Higher Education Ordinance, Chapter 4, Section 4)
Assessment criteria and qualifications
The School of Economics and Management strives for a balance between research and education in all employments. In the assessment of the applicants, equal importance will therefore be given to scientific and pedagogical skills.
For appointments to senior lecturer, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- A good national and international standing as a researcher. The requirement for international experience shall be assessed with consideration to the character and traditions of the subject.
- Good teaching ability, including a good ability to conduct, develop and lead educational activities on different levels and using a variety of teaching methods.
- An ability to supervise doctoral students to achieve a PhD.
- An ability to engage with wider society and communicate his or her activities.
- A good general ability to lead and develop activities.(Lund University Appointment Rules 4.3.4)
In the context of the announced position at the Department of Statistics, at the Senior Lecturer level:
- Strong teaching and research profiles are necessary.
- The successful candidate must have proven competence and experience in statistics, data science, or the areas of probability theory with a strong influence on the two fields and in line with the Department’s research profile, like, for instance, random graphs.
- A solid teaching experience is a requirement for this employment. In the assessment of pedagogical skills, both teaching experience and pedagogical qualifications will be taken into account. Training in teaching and learning in higher education of at least five weeks is required. The position presupposes interest in and willingness to actively participate in the development of the department’s courses in modern data science, and experience of such development work is an advantage.
- In the overall assessment of scientific proficiency, special emphasis will be placed on publications in highly ranked international journals with peer-review systems. The applicant is expected to conduct or assist with her/his competence development of the departmental research in data science.
- Personal qualities that are in demand are openness, creativity, perseverance, and initiative. The person must also be able to collaborate with others inside and outside the academy.
- The employment involves teaching in both Swedish and English, which is why the applicant is expected to be able to communicate efficiently in both languages. Since the Department has a lot of teaching in Swedish, the applicant should be able to teach in Swedish from the very beginning of the employment.
Terms of employment
Permanent employment, full time.
Employment as a senior lecturer is regulated in the Higher Education Ordinance, Chapter 4, and in Lund University Appointment Rules.
You apply for the position online by clicking on the ”Apply for position” button in the vacancy notice.
The application should be written in English.
The School of Economics and Management uses a special academic qualifications portfolio system to document and present merits. Please, create your application in three separate PDF-files in accordance to “Instructions to applicants for employment as professor or senior lecturer at Lund University School of Economics and Management” at the webpage: https://www.lusem.lu.se/about/work-at-lusem/apply-for-an-academic-position.
For a fair assessment, it is important that the applicant follows the application instructions.
The university applies individual salary setting. Feel free to state salary claims in your application.
The workplace is located in our offices at Holger Crafoord Ekonomicentrum in Lund. There are good connections by bus from Malmö and Lund Central station. You can walk from Lund Central station in 25 minutes.
Lund University is a government agency, which means that you receive special benefits, generous vacation and a favourable occupational pension. Wellness reimbursement and a paid wellness hour are a given.
Read more on the University’s website about being employed at Lund University: Work at Lund University.
We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
- Jakob Bergman, director of studies, +4646-2228905,email@example.com
- OFR/ST:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, +4646-2229362
- SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds universitet, firstname.lastname@example.org
- SEKO: Seko Civil, +4646-2229366