The Institute of Primary Health Care of the University of Bern (BIHAM) is dedicated to train and foster the next generation of primary care physicians and to carry out research in primary health care, epidemiology, and public health. The BIHAM offers a lively, interdisciplinary environment with excellent methodological support and access to a large network of researchers.
The Ageing Research Group is looking for a highly motivated scientist to conduct research on metabolomic markers of dairy intake and mild cognitive impartment or dementia, including early novel biomarkers of neurodegeneration and brain atrophy patterns, using data from the Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (https://adni.loni.usc.edu/).
This research is part of a 3-year project funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) about dairy intake and cognition (P.I. Dr. Patricia Chocano-Bedoya).
The student will work under the guidance of Dr. Patricia Chocano-Bedoya MD PhD (Head of Ageing Research, BIHAM) and Prof. Nicolas Rodondi MD MAS (Professor of Primary Care and Internal Medicine, Head of Ambulatory Care, Clinic of General Internal Medicine, Inselspital and Director of the BIHAM, Switzerland). There will be close collaboration with Prof Arnaud Chiolero, MD PhD, from the Population Health Laboratory, University of Fribourg, and other partners from Switzerland, the United States and others.
- Analyze complex datasets including metabolomic, imaging and clinical data.
- Write research protocols and manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals.
- Participation and contribution to the Institute’s teaching and research activities (seminars, journal clubs, etc.)
- PhD in a relevant discipline (epidemiology, bioinformatics, neuroscience)
- Good knowledge of statistical software (SAS and/or R)
- Previous experience analyzing large datasets
- Highly motivated with a strong interest for epidemiology and nutrition
- High level of English proficiency (German or French is a plus).
- Ability to work efficiently, independently and with interdisciplinary teams, in an organized manner.
The post is available from March 2023 for a total duration of 1 year, with negotiable starting date. The salary is according to SNSF standards (current scale: www.snf.ch/SiteCollectionDocuments/allg_doktorierende_e.pdf).
The BIHAM offers an international and interdisciplinary environment, closely related to the Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine (ISPM; www.ispm.unibe.ch), the Clinical Trial Unit (www.ctu.unibe.ch) in Bern and the Population Health Laboratory (#PopHealthLab, https://projects.unifr.ch/pophealthlab/) at the University ofFribourg.
We encourage independence and flexible working models. For further information on the position, contact Dr. Patricia Chocano-Bedoya, email@example.com.
Please send your application including a letter of motivation and curriculum vitae in one PDF file to Human Resources administration: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are considered until December 9th, 2022 or until position is filled.