The Department of Plant Breeding, at SLU in Alnarp, works with research, education and innovation work. The focus is on activities that are of strategic importance for crops with a sustainable and profitable production of plant-based food, feed and industrial products in a changing climate. The Department constitutes a multidisciplinary, innovative, and creative environment that works with current and future challenges. Read more about the department here:
The subject of the employment is biology with emphasis on plant biotechnology, cellular totipotency and tissue culture. Research should include, but is not limited to, the ability of tissues and cells from plants, primarily agricultural plants, to generate structures, organs, and complete plants. Furthermore, the interaction between these cells and tissues and different biotechnological applications in composite systems are also included in the subject area. The employment will be linked to the plant biotechnology division. The research can deal with both basic and applied research questions of relevance to the subject area. The employment will be linked to the plant biotechnology division.
The associate senior lecturer shall develop his or her own research profile within the subject area of the employment and be given development opportunities to be able to qualify as an associate professor and senior lecturer within the subject.
Within the subject area of the employment the holder of the employment is additionally expected to:
- carry out research and seek external funding in competition as well as publish scientific articles
- initiate the building of their own research group
- participate in research education as a co-supervisor
- teach at undergraduate, advanced level and in research education
- build and further develop networks with the scientific community, industry and other stakeholders, nationally and internationally
- collaborate closely with researchers within the division, department and other parts of SLU, as well as through national and international collaboration
The department has a parallel-language work environment. The associate senior lecturer will be able to perform most of his or her tasks in English. However, as the university is Swedish-speaking, the holder is expected to be able to work and teach in Swedish within four years of taking up employment. The department will support the holder to achieve this.
To be eligible to be employed as an associate senior lecturer you should hold a doctoral degree. You should have obtained your doctoral degree no more than five years before the end of the application period to be considered. Even those who have completed a doctoral degree or have achieved equivalent competence before may, however, be considered if there are special reasons. For special reasons, leave due to illness, parental leave or other similar circumstances is considered.
The successful candidate shall have:
- a doctoral degree in the subject biology, molecular biology or in a corresponding discipline relevant to the subject area of the employment
- demonstrated scientific and pedagogical skills within the subject area of the employment
- demonstrated a theoretical depth of relevance to the subject area of the employment and an ability to publish his or her research internationally
- experience of different research and laboratory environments as well as application methods relevant to the subject area of the employment
- good ability to communicate in English in speech and writing
The assessment criteria for employment shall primarily apply to the degree of such skills that are a requirement for eligibility for employment.
In the examination for employment as an associate senior lecturer, special emphasis is placed on quantitative indications of the applicant’s scientific skills, such as scientific publications, prizes, research funds and other measurable results.
Ability to collaborate, experience in administration, and teaching are merits.
In addition to the qualification requirements, emphasis will be placed on the applicant’s personal characteristics and abilities.
Place of work:
Form of Employment:
The employment is limited to four years in accordance with the Higher Education Act. A position as associate senior lecturer is aqualifying employment that constitutes the first step in an academic career at SLU. An associate senior lecturer has the right during his orher employment to apply for promotion to senior lecturer on the basis of criteria established when the position as associate senior lecturerwas announced.
It is desirable that the application is written in English, because the applications will be evaluated by expert advisers both inSweden and abroad.
“Appointment procedures for SLU” and “General assessment criteria for the appointment of teachers” can be found here.
The scientific and pedagogic documentation submitted in support of the application shall be indicated in the application. At most 5scientific publications and at most 5 pedagogic publications, including popularized versions, should be submitted in support of theapplication. In addition a complete list of publications shall be supplied; the publications submitted with the application must beindicated.
Please apply by clicking on the apply-button below.
Academic union representatives:
Head of Department