School of Industrial Engineering and Management at KTH
The advertised post-doctoral position is within an ambitious Digital Futures ISPP Project titled “Smart Predictive Maintenance for Pharmaceutical Industry (SMART)”, led by KTH and AstraZeneca.
In this industrial post-doctoral project, you will develop, evaluate, and implement novel methods to gather manufacturing data in a production environment. You will use your expertise in machine-sensor technologies, IoT, and operation condition monitoring to carry out your research.
In the SMART project, you will work on-site in the AstraZeneca manufacturing facilities in Södertälje ~50% of the time with a goal to start in October 2023. This will afford you the unique opportunity to gain firsthand experience in an industry setting while also contributing to research of others in your cohort. Ultimately this should culminate in multiple prospects for co-authorships and patent applications, while delivering a minimum viable product (MVP) that increases the overall equipment efficiency (OEE) of the lines. Please see openings for the other SMART-project positions here and here
About AstraZeneca Södertälje
AstraZeneca’s largest manufacturing site supplies over 30 medicines to more than 100 markets and exported 103 billion Swedish crowns (SEK) in 2021 (>6% of the nation’s exports). Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn, Facebook, or Instagram.
What we offer
- A position at a leading technical university that generates knowledge and skills for a sustainable future
- Engaged and ambitious colleagues along with a creative, international and dynamic working environment
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH
- An appointment in one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical manufacturing units
- A chance to drive a research project in a high-tech and LEAN environment using agile and scrum methodologies
- Placement in a highly interdisciplinary environment
Read more about what it is like to work at KTH
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree. This eligibility requirement must be met no later than the time the employment decision is made. The focus area should be in production engineering, electrical engineering or a closely-related field
- Experience with machine-sensor or industrial equipment-sensor technologies
- Experience with simulating production environments, or developing remaining useful life (RUL) models
- The ability to express yourself very well in English, as this will be required in day-to-day work
- Excellent collaboration skills including the ability to:
- Independently lead one’s own research project
- Actively contribute to others’ research projects
- Work with multiple stakeholders that span academy and industry
- A doctoral degree or an equivalent foreign degree, obtained within the last three years prior to the application deadline
- Ability to read and write SQL queries and python programs for data handling
- Experience working in manufacturing
- Good knowledge of verbal and written Swedish, as this will be required in day-to-day work
- Awareness of diversity and equal opportunity issues, with specific focus on gender equality
- Teaching abilities (limited opportunities to participate in teaching)
Great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Trade union representatives
On KTH’s webpage.
Log into KTH’s recruitment system in order to apply for this position. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad.
The application must include:
- CV including relevant professional experience and knowledge. The CV shall include a list of recent relevant publications
- Copy of diplomas and grades from your previous university studies. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents have not been issued in any of these languages
- At least two references that we can contact
Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than the last day of application, midnight CET/CEST (Central European Time/Central European Summer Time).
About the employment
The position offered is for, at the most, two years.
A position as a postdoctoral fellow is a time-limited qualified appointment focusing mainly on research, intended as a first career step after a dissertation.
Striving towards gender equality, diversity and equal conditions is both a question of quality for KTH and a given part of our values.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy. Read more here
- Type of employment- Temporary position
- Contract type- Full time
- First day of employment- 1 october 2023
- Salary- Monthly salary
- Number of positions- 1
- Full-time equivalent- 100%
- City- Stockholm
- County- Stockholms län
- Country- Sweden
- Reference number- M-2023-1051
- Lihui Wang, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last application date- 14.Aug.2023 11:59 PM CEST