The Department of Food Science, Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen invites applications for a position as Tenure-Track Assistant Professor in the area of “Dairy Chemistry” from 1 August 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The research areas of the department have a shared mission to contribute with new solutions for society and industry to support sustainable food production, food security and safety as well as production of high quality food promoting human health and wellbeing. The Department of Food Science is recognized for excellence in food research, education, and industrial collaboration. The Department is an international workplace with English as primary working language. The tenure-track assistant professor will be a part of the Section for Ingredients and Dairy Technology, which conducts basic and applied inter-disciplinary research in close collaboration with industry and actively contributes to teaching at the BSc in Food Science and the MSc in Food Science and Technology.
We seek a candidate within the area of dairy chemistry to perform excellent research and teaching within this area and to develop synergies between researchers within Department of Food Science as well as between other departments. The successful candidate should be able to develop an independent research profile and an international research record. The candidate should have visions for teaching and pedagogical development. It is essential that the candidate will be able to foster a strong collaboration with the food industry and attract funding.
The candidate must have a general and broad knowledge of dairy science and technology and be able to carry out research and teaching linking molecular understanding of individual food components and ingredients to the production, final quality, and properties of dairy and related food products. The research should cover several of the following sub areas:
- Chemistry and biochemistry of dairy components and ingredients
- Molecular interactions and properties of milk components, and structure function relationships.
- Chemistry of dairy proteins
- Functional properties of dairy components, especially proteins
- Chemistry of minerals in dairy products
- Analysis of milk components, including chromatographic techniques
The tenure track assistant professor’s duties will primarily include research, including obligations with regard to publication/scientific communication and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations within dairy chemistry. To a limited extent the position may also include other duties. The tenure track assistant professor must have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact.
Assessment of applicants
will primarily consider their level of documented, internationally competitive research. The ability to attract external funding will be considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
Six overall criteria apply for assistant professor appointments at the University of Copenhagen. The six criteria (research, teaching, societal impact, organisational contribution, external funding and leadership) are considered a framework for the overall assessment of candidates. Furthermore, each candidate must be assessed according to the specific requirements stated in the job advertisement. Please read more at https://jobportal.ku.dk/videnskabelige-stillinger/kriterier-for-videnskabelige-stillinger/dokumenter-til-meritering/5a_Criteria_for_recognising_merit_-Assistant_professors.pdf.
Further information on the Department is linked at https://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/. Inquiries about the position can be made to to head of department, Anna Haldrup (+45 9356 5698, email@example.com) or head of section, professor Mogens L. Andersen (+45 3533 3262, firstname.lastname@example.org).
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Taxation and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications in high-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A significant track record of successful external research funding [Formuleringen tilrettes efter forskningsområdets muligheder for at tiltrække ekstern finansiering]
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed https://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/ and established a teaching portfolio via participation in teaching, including preparation and development of departmental courses
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae including:
- Please describe and document international network and relations
- Please describe and document internationally based activities
- Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
- Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan – description of current and future research plans
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is 26 February 2023, 23:59 GMT+1.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 9 June 2023.
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case: 211-0157/22-2N.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.
Mogens Larsen Andersen
- Application deadline: 26-02-2023
- Employment start: 01-08-2023
- Working hours: Full time
- Department/Location: Department of Food Science