The Bioprocess Laboratory (Prof. Panke), an international (currently 11 different nationalities) and interdisciplinary (microfluidics, enzyme engineering, synthetic biology, bioprocesses, biocatalysis, green chemistry) group located at the Basel campus of ETH Zurich and part of the Department of Biosystems Science and Engineering (D‐BSSE) (www.bsse.ethz.ch/bpl, www.twitter.com/BPL_ethz). We are in direct vicinity to – and constant exchange with – the life-science and the chemical industry and academic research groups of the greater Basel area.
We are committed to the development of synthesis routes catalyzed by microbes or enzymes for production of substances for chemical, nutritional or pharmaceutical applications.
Part of you time, you will
- work on the scale up (kg-scale) of a biotech process for manufacturing of an innovative product for a Swiss industry partner.
However, your scope of duties also involves
- conceptual and editorial work,
- literature studies,
- organization of workshops, and
- joint development of project proposals
for exploitation of novel or orphaned opportunities for biological manufacturing. The primary focus of these theoretical studies is on the identification of new routes for production of defossilized organic feedstock for the chemical and pharmaceutical industry.
- You have a background in either biological or chemical engineering or microbiology.
- Your interest is broad and in addition to wet-lab experimental work, you are excited about commercial and regulatory aspects in the field of chemistry and industrial biotechnology.
- Solid knowledge in IT and proficiency with life cycle analyses are a big plus. Superb writing and presentation skills in English are mandatory.
ETH Zurich is a family-friendly employer with excellent working conditions. You can look forward to an exciting working environment, cultural diversity and attractive offers and benefits.
We value diversity
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Short (max. 1/2 page) motivation letter
- CV with publication list
- Reference letters / Contact information of two potential references
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about the D-BSSE and the Bioprocess Laboratory can be found on our website. Questions regarding the position should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications).