We are looking for an early-career academic who is interested to start a tenure-track that focuses on education and who can strengthen our teaching and research in the field of Autonomous Systems. The position will develop a new Engineering Doctorate (EngD) program on Autonomous Systems and supervise Engineering Doctorate students that work closely with high-tech industries and conduct teaching and research in the aforementioned fields. The Autonomous Systems EngD programme is a strategic programme of the university as part of education innovation and a bridge between fundamental research activities at the University of Groningen and industrial R&D programs at high-tech companies in Netherlands.
As Assistant Professor with an education profile you will:
- teach in the Engineering doctorate programme in Autonomous Systems
- take a leading role in innovating teaching and education (both at the course and the programme level) for the Engineering Doctorate programme in Autonomous Systems, with a particular focus on mechanical engineering domain
- develop your own research line and/or contribute to research lines in the research group Dynamics and Vibration
- contribute to the supervision of PhD students in the research group
- contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education.
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for teaching and education development, 30% for research and 10% for organizational tasks. After five years you will be assessed for tenure and promotion to the level of Associate Professor (see Conditions of employment).
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has been our top priority for over four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) is the largest faculty within the University. We offer first-rate education and research in a wide range of science and engineering disciplines, from classical disciplines such as mathematics, astronomy and mechanical engineering, to interdisciplinary fields such as artificial intelligence, pharmacy and nanoscience [change fields if desirable]. Our community has an open and informal character with students and staff from around the world.
The position we offer will be embedded in Engineering and Technology institute Groningen (ENTEG). ENTEG research is highly multidisciplinary in nature and focuses on fundamental and engineering research on the development of new and innovative processes and products. The aim is to conduct excellent research and education in engineering sciences and technologies that contribute to a sustainable and smart society.
We offer you the opportunity to start a career path that focuses on education and to become an educational leader in time. We encourage you to apply if you have:
- a passion for teaching and education development
- demonstrably excellent teaching qualities
- a relevant PhD degree in engineering or a related field
- a good track record in research, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
- at least 2 years of relevant work experience after your PhD (at the time of appointment)
- demonstrable organizational competences
- good command of spoken and written English.
And you are:
- willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and a Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) within five years
- able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
- a team player with good communication skills who is able to inspire students and colleagues
- able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years (B1 level).
Conditions of employment
We offer you a full-time tenure-track position as Assistant Professor and:
- a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3,974 up to a maximum of € 5,439 gross per month (scale 11 CAO Dutch Universities, depending on your career stage) for a full-time position
- a starting package of k€ 40 to travel, organize workshops, etc., as well as access to additional resources for education development projects
- holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary
- a pension scheme
- maternity and parental leave
- the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
- a personal development trajectory and a mentor program
- dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/(…)with-us/that-is-why/
In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as Associate Professor with an education profile. Please consider the following link for more details on the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/(…)tion-profile-def.pdf
Note that we are currently updating our career system and that it is likely that the new version applies by the time the candidate for this position is appointed. One of the most important changes is that, in the new version, staff members are initially appointed for 6 years and the decision about tenure is made at a much earlier stage during this period. The new version will include the possibility of applying for promotion to the position of Full Professor with an education profile. The penultimate draft can be found here:www.rug.nl/webvernieuwing/world/fse/careerpathsinscienceandengineering/
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
- a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
- a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience, a list of your publications and a list with names of references
- a statement of your vision on teaching, in particular pertaining to developments in your field, and what you would like to accomplish in our degree programmes
- a description of your scientific interest and plans.
You may apply for this position until 7 June 11:59pm / before 8 June 2023 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on “Apply” below on the advertisement on the university website).
In principle, the selection interviews will take place in week 27.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/(…)rsity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode and European Commission’s European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers:
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Prof. Bayu Jayawardhana, +31 50 3637156, email@example.com
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.