- Faculty/Services: Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
- Educational level: PhD
- Function type: Academic Staff
- Closing date: 10 September 2023
- Vacancy number: 11917
Are you passionate about research and teaching? Do you specialize in the field of Political Communication & Journalism? Effective immediately, we are seeking an Assistant Professor for this specialization. The Department of Communication Science invites applications for an Assistant Professor position in Political Communication & Journalism, starting no later than February 1, 2024. Within the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, Communication Science offers a Bachelor’s and several Master’s degree programmes, while its research is carried out at the Amsterdam School of Communication Research/ASCoR. Teaching in our Communication Science programmes is interdisciplinary and internationally oriented, offering tracks taught in both English and Dutch. As an Assistant Professor, you will be part of the program group of Political Communication & Journalism.
The programme group Political Communication & Journalism investigates the dynamics of communication about and within the political world. We study and teach how, and under which conditions, news and other communication with informational purposes is produced, the contents of this information, how audiences use and process it, and what effects it has. A central question is how citizens, organizations, and institutions use media and communication to become informed about public affairs and to participate in them. It is a starting point that citizens have become ‘critical consumers’ also in the realm of politics and this affects their information seeking behaviour as well as the use and effects of new information. Research and teaching in this program often has an internationally comparative orientation. Our theories address the core of democracy so a major task of the program is to develop and test theories that help improve democratic processes.
We are interested in candidates specialized in all (sub) fields of Political Communication.
What are you going to do
As Assistant Professor Political Communication & Journalism you:
- teach regular courses in the programmes of the Bachelor and Master communication science in Dutch and/or English, including substantive theoretical coursework and statistical/methodological coursework; supervise and evaluates Bachelor theses, Master theses and internships;
- organize teaching in the field of Political Communication & Journalism on different themes within the program, from first year’s bachelor courses to courses in the master track Political Communication & Journalism as well as the joint degree Mundus Journalism Master specializing in Politics & Communication;
- conduct research on Political Communication & Journalism within the ASCoR research program focusing on the production, content, usage and consequences of political communication;
- take part in outreach and impact activities;
- contribute to and lead applications for external funding;
- participate in committees, groups and projects in the program group Political Communication & Journalism.
What do we require of you
The job profile is UD (universitair docent), based on the university job ranking system.
You act with attention to quality, integrity and creativity, and:
– have a PhD in Communication Science or a related discipline in the Social Sciences;
– have demonstrable experience in academic teaching at BA and MA levels;
– have the ability to take care of teaching components independently;
– experience and willingness to teach methods courses is a plus, preferably experience with and knowledge of (a variety of) quantitative and qualitative research methods and statistics commonly employed in communication science;
– experience with computational communication scientific methods or quantitave or qualitative digital methods is a plus;
– have a university teaching qualification (BKO) or are willing to obtain one within two years;
– have the ability to carry out your own research independently and successfully;
– have developed an empirical-analytical line of research that fits well with the profile of the program group as evidenced in publications in prominent communication science journals or journals from related disciplines;
– have the qualities and plans to apply for competitive grants – demonstrated grant-writing experience is a plus;
– adhere to the principles of Open Science;
– are capable to provide a stimulating teaching and research environment and are a good team worker;
– are able to identify opportunities for improvement in research and teaching and take responsibility for allocated units of study or teaching;
– are willing to carry out service and coordination tasks for the benefit of the program group and Department of Communication;
– have the qualities and plans to contribute to relevant social or scientific impact activities;
– are an active member of the Communication Science community or related communities;
– have proficiency in English and Dutch or a firm commitment to learn Dutch within two years.
We offer a temporary full-time or part-time contract for the period of 1,5 year.
For internal candidates the contract will be for the period of 1 year.
Preferred starting date is January 1, 2024 but no later than February 1. Contingent upon positive evaluation and satisfactory performance, you will be offered a permanent contract.
The gross monthly salary based on full-time employment (38 hours per week) ranges from € 4332 up to a maximum of €5929 gross per month (scale 11-12). (This salary includes increasing from 1 August of the collective bargaining agreement NU 2023). This is exclusive 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus. The starting salary will be based on qualifications, expertise and relevant experience. The profile assistant professor is applicable in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities.
The UvA offers excellent possibilities for further professional development and education.
What else do we offer
A position in which initiative and input are highly valued.
An enthusiastic and warm department that is open to new colleagues.
A stimulating research environment, in one of the leading departments in media and communication worldwide.
Teaching in diverse, multicultural, and engaged cohorts of students.
An inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
Access to some research funds to conduct studies and attend international conferences.
To work at the University of Amsterdam is to work in a discerning, independent, creative, innovative and international climate characterized by an open atmosphere and a genuine engagement with the city of Amsterdam and society. Here you can read more about working at the University of Amsterdam.
A challenging work environment with a variety of duties and ample scope for individual initiative and development within an inspiring organisation. The social and behavioural sciences play a leading role in addressing the major societal challenges faced by the world, the Netherlands and Amsterdam, now and in the future.
Would you like to learn more about working at the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG)? Visit our website.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- dr. Linda Bos, program group director Political Communication & Journalism email@example.com
Do you recognize yourself in the job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your application by September 10, 2023. You may apply online by using the link below.
Applications in .pdf should include:
- a curriculum vitae;
- a letter of motivation.
We will invite potential candidates for interviews within 2 weeks after the closing date. Interviews take place in week 40. Preferred starting date of the position is January 1 2024.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritise diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
No agencies please
If an ‘Error GBB451’ occurs, please click here for more information and help.