- HOURS- 40 hr.
- SALARY INDICATION- Salary gross/monthlybased on full-time€ 3,557 – € 4,670
- DEADLINE- 14 Jun 2023
In steel production lines, non-destructive and online electromagnetic sensor measurements are used to infer a material’s magnetic properties from sensor signals and relate them to its mechanical properties. To achieve this, it is necessary to systematically understand how magneto-mechanical coupling in the material’s evolving microstructure contributes to its polycrystalline magnetic response.
This project aims to build upon ongoing research at UT by developing physics-based models for electromagnetic measurements of steel sheets across a range of grades in a steel production line. The key tasks involve modeling the polycrystalline microstructure of the steel, enriched with the inclusion of magnetic domains using the phase-field method. By coupling magnetic fields with crystal plasticity, we aim to upscale the influence of dislocation density, phase distribution, and residual stresses on the material’s transient and nonlinear magnetic response with hysteresis. This approach will enable us to optimize sensor systems based on sensor geometry and location, allowing an accurate prediction of mechanical properties and potentially leading to improved steel production processes.
In this project, you will report your research during bi-weekly meetings of our research group and frequent meetings with the industrial partner. You are encouraged to present your results at international scientific conferences and publish them in academic journals. Furthermore, as a researcher, you will be encouraged to tutor MSc students who do their final assignment on parts of the current research project.
- a Ph.D. degree in Computational Mechanics, Mechanical Engineering, Applied Physics, or a related field;
- a background in electromagnetics, computational methods, materials science;
- strong programming skills;
- a high degree of responsibility and independence;
- strong communication skills for effective academic and industrial collaboration;
- proficiency in English, both verbal and written.
- a dynamic and international environment, combining the benefits of academic research with a topic of high industrial relevance;
- excellent working conditions in an exciting scientific environment and a green and lively campus;
- a two years and eight months full-time postdoc position;
- excellent mentorship and facilities;
- gross salary between € 3.557,- – € 4.670,- per month depending on experience and qualifications according to the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Universities (CAO);
- excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, a year-end bonus of 8.3%, and a solid pension scheme;
- minimum of 29 holidays per year in case of full-time employment;
- full status as an employee at the UT, including pension and health care benefits.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Please submit your application before June 15th, 2023, using the “Apply now” button, and include the following:
- curriculum vitae
- letter of motivation
- a link to the Ph.D. thesis
- contact information of 2 references
- list of publications
The intended starting date is between August and October 2023.
For more information, you can contact Dr. habil. Celal Soyarslan by phone: +31 5 3489 7499, or by email: email@example.com.
The first (online) interviews will be held on June 21st, 2023.
ABOUT THE ORGANISATION
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) engages in education and research of Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. We enable society and industry to innovate and create value using efficient, solid and sustainable technology. We are part of a ‘people-first’ university of technology, taking our place as an internationally leading center for smart production, processes and devices in five domains: Health Technology, Maintenance, Smart Regions, Smart Industry and Sustainable Resources. Our faculty is home to about 2,900 Bachelor’s and Master’s students, 550 employees and 150 PhD candidates. Our educational and research programmes are closely connected with UT research institutes Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Center and Digital Society Institute.
WANT TO KNOW MORE
SOYARSLAN, C. (CELAL)ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Then you can contact Celal for all substantive questions about this position and the application procedure. For general questions about working for the UT, please refer to the chatbot.