The Department of Government at Uppsala University provides a vibrant and internationally successful research environment. With approximately 60 faculty members and 40 PhD-students, we are recognized as one of the leading political science departments in the Nordic region.
One of the PhD positions is open, while the other is linked to the projects Courts as guarantors for an individualized and need based eldercare? and Local self-government, professionalism and court defiance in Swedish eldercare. The aim of the projects is to increase knowledge about the role of courts in the governance of welfare services, and about how the right to appeal official decisions affects the conditions for democratic and professional decision making. The project area is further described here and here.
The projects are financed by Forte – the Swedish Research Council for Health, Working Life and Welfare. Excellent knowledge of Swedish is a requirement for this doctoral position. Please, indicate in your cover letter if you are interested in this project-related position.
Employed doctoral students must primarily devote their time to their own degree work and dissertation research. Other departmental duties may also be included in the position, such as teaching or administrative tasks (no more than 20%). The duration of employment will be extended for a period corresponding to the time spent on departmental work.
For general eligibility, applicants must hold an advanced level graduate degree (Master’s degree equivalent or higher), have fulfilled course requirements of at least 240 ECTS points, of which at least 60 ECTS points must have been completed at an advanced level, or otherwise acquired equivalent knowledge in Sweden or abroad.
For special eligibility for admission to the doctoral studies program in political science, the applicant is required to have satisfactory results in courses equivalent to 90 ECTS points in political science or otherwise equivalent knowledge acquired in Sweden or abroad.
The qualification requirements must be met by August 1, 2023. If the applicant does not meet the qualification requirements at the time of application, any potential notification of admittance will be preliminary until eligibility can be proven. No merits apart from general and special eligibility can be submitted after the deadline. The decision about admission will be based on the documentation that is attached to the application and submitted before the deadline.
We require very good oral and written proficiency in English and/or Swedish. Applicants who have not attended an MA- program where the language of instruction has been English or Swedish have to verify English language proficiency by submitting a certificate of results from internationally recognized language tests, such as TOEFL or IELTS.
A requirement for employment as a doctoral student is that the applicant must have been or will be admitted to the department’s doctoral studies program, where the aptitude to successfully complete the PhD program is crucial. Employment of doctoral students and admittance to the doctoral studies program are regulated by the Higher Education Ordinance, and by the regulations issued by Uppsala University.
The application must contain the following:
- Curriculum Vitae.
- A brief cover letter (max 500 words) indicating your motives for applying.
- A research text, preferably an MA-thesis, authored by the applicant. The writing sample can be in English or Swedish. If the text is co-authored, it must be accompanied by a co-author statement and complemented by a single-authored secondary research sample.
- A self-reflection statement where the strengths and weaknesses of the research text uploaded under section 4 is discussed (max. 1000 words).
- Transcripts of academic records to demonstrate qualification for admission.
- Contact information for two academic references (address, email address, and telephone number). No recommendation letter should be included.
The application may need to contain the following:
- A secondary research text authored by the applicant. It is mandatory to submit a secondary research text when the applicant’s primary research text is co-authored. In other cases, a secondary research sample is voluntary. The secondary writing sample can be in English or Swedish. If the text is co-authored, it must be accompanied by a co-author statement.
- A co-author statement that should describe the independent research contributions of the applicant and each co-author. The statement should be signed by the co-author(s).
- Certificate of English language written and oral proficiency from internationally recognized test such as TOEFL or IELTS. Applicants that have attended an MA-program where the language of instruction has been English or Swedish do not need to submit test scores.
More detailed information requirements are provided via this link: phd-programme in political science
About the employment
The employment is a temporary position according to the Higher Education Ordinance chapter 5, section 7. Scope of employment 100 %. Starting date 1 September or as agreed. Placement: Uppsala.
A new employment as a PhD student applies for a maximum of one year. The appointment may be prolonged for up to two years at a time. The total employment period may not be longer than the equivalent of four years of full-time doctoral studies.
Salaries for doctoral students are regulated in a local agreement at Uppsala University.
For further information about the position, please contact: Director of the PhD-programme, Elin Bjarnegård, email@example.com
You are welcome to submit your application no later than 23:59 (Swedish time) February 3, 2022, UFV-PA 2022/4159.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? Find out more about what it´s like to work and live in Sweden.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University’s recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Government
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 2
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Union representative: ST/TCO firstname.lastname@example.orgSeko Universitetsklubben email@example.comSaco-rådet firstname.lastname@example.org
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2022/4159
Last application date: 2023-02-03