Doctoral student in sustainable and circular urban agriculture at School of Architecture and Built Environment, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden 2022
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Sustainable Development
Joining Date: ASAP
Contract Period: Subject to Norms
Salary: Subject to norms
School of Architecture and Built Environment
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Brinellvägen, Stockholm, Sweden
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master's degree), or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- feel comfortable with interdisciplinary research efforts,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
We are seeking candidates with experience or a degree advanced level (MSc or equivalent) in industrial ecology, global change ecology, sustainable development, horticulture, agricultural sciences. Specific research background closely related to subjects mentioned in the project description is considered an advantage. We are particularly interested in candidates with experience conducting life cycle assessments and experience with industrial symbiosis or controlled environment agriculture. Good command of English orally and in writing is required to communicate, publish results in scientific journals, and present at international conferences.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Third-cycle subject: Planning and Decision Analysis with a specialization in Strategies for sustainable development.
The aim of this project is to explore, develop, and analyze more circular-based production methods for urban-vertical farms. More specifically, the project has the objectives to 1) identify the potential for improving resource efficiency and new product development through more circular use of materials and energy for urban food systems, 2) understand and analyze the implications of circular based production models to improve the sustainability of processing and products, and 3) improve and facilitate knowledge and the development of new synergies for more circular urban food production systems. The PhD student will work within the project to address the aims and objectives while collaborating with different vertical farming companies in Sweden to promote and develop more circular solutions for the industry. The project, titled ‘Improving the resource-efficiency and environmental performance of urban-vertical farms through circular-based production methods,’ is funded by FORMAS.
Supervision: The Doctoral student is proposed to be supervised by Doc. Rebecka Milestad, Adj. Prof. Michael Martin, and Assoc. Prof. Francesco Orsini (University of Bologna). Decisions are made on admission.
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: A-2022-2058
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.Copies of originals must be certified.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
About the Employer: KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
Note or Other details
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Possibilities of collaboration and exchange with the University of Bologna.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Advertisement Details: Doctoral student in sustainable and circular urban agriculture