Doctoral student in high-speed datacenter networking at School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden 2022
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Computer Science
Joining Date: ASAP
Contract Period: Subject to Norms
Salary: Subject to norms
School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Brinellvägen, Stockholm, Sweden
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master's degree), or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work,
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach,
- analyse and work with complex issues and
- being excited about the idea to work with real systems and not just simulations.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Today’s cloud and edge datacenters struggle to keep the pace of multi-100Gbps network interface card. A CPU transmitting 40Gbps of traffic consumes as much as 70% of its cycles, which cannot be used to run any applications. The recent rise of programmable high-speed hardware devices including P4 switches and SmartNICs have opened the doors to massive potential performance gains by offloading networking stacks from CPUs to hardware. Yet, reaping the benefits of such devices is today a largely unsolved problems. For example, multi-terabit per second network devices drop packets depending on specific time patterns.
In this project, we plan to build radically new frameworks for controlling network and their performance in a programmatic manner. This research aims to publish work at the top venues in network systems (i.e., SIGCOMM and NSDI) and collaborate with industrial partners (e.g., Intel, Nvidia, Ericsson, Saab). In this project, you will have great possibilities to make impact in society and industry.
Third-cycle subject: Computer Science
Supervision: Prof. Marco Chiesa and Prof. Dejan Kostić are proposed to supervise the doctoral student.
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: J-2022-2117
Applications must include:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.Copies of originals must be certified.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
About the Employer: KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
Note or Other details
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world. Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
- The NSLab research group can count on >30 servers, 100/200-Gpbs SmartNICs, 3x programmable switches with FPGA, last-generation PCI express buses, NVMe SSDs. Read more: https://www.kth.se/blogs/nslab/
- A vibrant and large group consisting of undergrads interns, doctoral students, postdoc researchers, and professors focusing on network systems.
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
Contact information KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
Contact information section's website.
- Marco Chiesa Professor, [email protected]
- Dejan Kostic Professor, [email protected]
- Lisa Olsson HR Officer, [email protected]
Advertisement Details: Doctoral student in high-speed datacenter networking