Doctoral student focusing on machine learning and 3D mammography at School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden 2022
School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health
KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Brinellvägen, Stockholm, Sweden
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 § Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a second cycle degree (for example a master's degree), or
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 second-cycle higher education credits, or
- acquired, in some other way within or outside the country, substantially equivalent knowledge
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement for English equivalent to English B/6, read more here
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. During the selection process, candidates will be assessed upon their ability to:
- independently pursue his or her work
- collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal competency.
Target degree: Doctoral degree of Philosophy in engineering
Tomosynthesis is a promising 3D modality for diagnosing breast cancer. Deep learning is the most successful form of artificial intelligence (AI). The aim of this project is to utilize a unique database of tomosynthesis and mammography images and new methods in deep learning to create novel diagnostic tools for breast cancer. The position offers good opportunities to gain deeper knowledge of recent techniques in deep learning such as generative adversarial networks (GAN), spherical convolutional neural networks or normal appearance autoencoders, a method developed in our group, in addition to explainable-AI and uncertainty quantification methods. The selected candidate will be part of the EU-funded European Training Network consortium BosomShield. That includes access to educational and career development activities from the network and several secondment visits to the partners.
Supervision: Rodrigo Moreno is proposed to supervise the doctoral student. Decisions are made on admission
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: C-2022-1326
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copies of diplomas and grades from previous university studies and certificates of fulfilled language requirements (see above). Translations into English or Swedish if the original document is not issued in one of these languages.Copies of originals must be certified.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
About the Employer: KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
Note or Other details
- The possibility to study in a dynamic and international research environment in collaboration with industries and prominent universities from all over the world.Read more
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s Doctoral student salary agreement.
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, close to nature and the water.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH.
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those admitted to postgraduate education may be employed as a doctoral student. The total length of employment may not be longer than what corresponds to full-time doctoral education in four years ' time. An employed doctoral student can, to a limited extent (maximum 20%), perform certain tasks within their role, e.g. training and administration. A new position as a doctoral student is for a maximum of one year, and then the employment may be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website.
Doctoral section (Students’ union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website.
Advertisement Details: Doctoral student focusing on machine learning and 3D mammography