- Vacancy number 22-873
- Job type Academic staff
- Hours (in fte)1
- External/ internal External
- Location Leiden
- Placed on 3 January 2023
- Closing date 6 February 2023
The Faculty of Science, the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) is looking for a:
Postdoc in the fields of single cell biophysics and biomolecular condensate mechanics
Vacancy number: 22-873
Key responsibilities The postdoc will design and perform experiments (and modeling) to understand the contribution of biomolecular condensates to cellular mechanics. Through development of force spectroscopy-based assays, the postdoc will address key questions relevant to cancer immunity and metastasis. The discovery of phase separated biomolecular condensates was a breakthrough in biology in recent years. We envision that this project will translate condensate biology into breakthrough medicines.
The responsibilities of the position include:
- Establish the aforementioned research line
- Design and perform investigations and data analysis
- Write high quality scientific manuscripts
- Present results to team members and other associated partners
- Contribute to our education program
- Train BSc, MSc and PhD students and supervise their research
- Contribute to grant writing activities
Selection Criteria The ideal candidate should fulfill (most of) the following criteria:
- An academic degree (PhD) in science with excellent records in one of the following areas: biophysics, IDP biochemistry, mechanics of (bio) materials
- Experience with atomic force microscopy or optical tweezers is a plus.
- Experience with biomolecular condensate analysis is a plus.
- Decent publication record including first author publications.
- Good written and verbal English communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to successfully work and get things done in teams
Research at our faculty The Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) is a leading institute dedicated to world-class research and education in drug discovery and development. LACDR comprises a diverse and international team of approximately 150 researchers and is ideally located at the Leiden Bio Science Park, the largest life science cluster in The Netherlands. The Mashaghi lab (Medical Systems Biophysics and Bioengineering Group) is involved in interdisciplinary research at the interface of physics, engineering and biomedicine. We enjoy developing highly innovative approaches to high-impact questions, working with advanced technologies and writing compelling publications. The lab is equipped with various force methods, including a CellHesion200, dual trap optical tweezers, and computing facility for data analysis.
For more information, see: https://www.mashaghilab.org and
Our Faculty’s expertise spans the entire spectrum of science, ranging from Mathematics and Statistical science, Computer science and Data science, Astronomy, Physics, Chemistry and Pharmaceutical science to Biology and Environmental sciences. Our faculty members are inspired by a fascination with the unknown and the urge to enlarge our fundamental knowledge. At the same time, they want to contribute to solutions for the big societal issues of tomorrow. For more information, see https://www.science.leidenuniv.nl. and https://workingat.leiden.edu/
Terms and conditions We offer a full-time, one year term position, with the possibility of renewal for up to three more years depending on the availability of funding and the performance. Salary will be on pay scale 10 (2.960 – 4.670) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Applications To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to attn. dr. Alireza Mashaghi (Associate Professor/PI); at firstname.lastname@example.org (Mrs. Lia Hinne-Pluimgraaff) indicating the vacancy number in the email subject line. Please ensure that you upload the following additional documents quoting the vacancy number:
- A cover letter explaining your motivation, background, and qualifications for the position;
- A detailed CV (including a list of publications);
- Contact information of three references;
Only applications received before February 6, 2023 can be considered.