The Electronic Systems (ES) group within the Department of Electrical Engineering of Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is seeking to hire two outstanding postdocs within the Horizon Europe project CONVOLVE (convolve.eu).
- Position (Post-doctoral) Researcher
- Irène Curie Fellowship No
- Department(s) Electrical Engineering
- FTE 1,0
- Date off 30/06/2023
- Reference number V36.6627
With the rise of deep learning (DL), our world braces for Artificial Intelligence (AI) in every edge device, creating an urgent need for Edge-AI processing hardware. Unlike existing solutions, this hardware needs to support high throughput, reliable, and secure AI processing at ultra-low power (ULP), combined with a very short time to market.
With its strong position in edge solutions and open processing platforms, the EU is ideally positioned to become the leader in this edge-AI market. However, certain roadblocks keep the EU from assuming this leadership role: Edge processors need to become 100x more energy efficient; Their complexity demands automated design with 10x design-time reduction; They must be secure and reliable to gain acceptance; Finally, they should be flexible and powerful to support the rapidly evolving DL domain.
CONVOLVE addresses these roadblocks in Edge-AI. To that end, it will take a holistic approach with innovations at all levels of the design stack, including:
- On-edge continuous learning for improved accuracy, self-healing, and reliable adaptation to non-stationary environments.
- Rethinking DL models through dynamic neural networks, event-based execution, and sparsity.
- Transparent compilers supporting automated code optimizations and domain-specific languages.
- Fast compositional design of System-on-Chips (SoC).
- Digital accelerators for dynamic ANN and SNN.
- ULP memristive circuits for computation-in-memory.
- Holistic integration in SoCs supporting secure execution with real-time guarantees.
The CONVOLVE consortium includes some of Europe’s strongest research groups and industries, covering the whole design stack and value chain. In a community effort, we will demonstrate Edge-AI computing in real-life vision and audio domains. By combining these innovative ULP and fast design solutions, CONVOLVE will, for the first time, enable reliable, smart, and energy-efficient edge-AI devices at a rapid time-to-market and low cost, and as such, opens the road for EU leadership in edge-processing.
We are seeking two highly skilled and motivated postdoc candidates to tackle any of the following four research topics (a single candidate will focus on one topic):
Topic 1: Ultra-low power CGRA for Dynamic ANNs and SNNs: Research and develop near-memory computing engines based on Coarse-Grained Reconfigurable Architectures (CGRA) using a flexible memory fabric for Dynamic Neural Networks. These designs need to be equipped with self-healing mechanisms to (partly) recover in the event of failures, enhancing system-level reliability. The accelerators may also have knobs to exploit near-threshold and approximate computing for extreme energy-efficient operation.
Topic 2: Design-flow for SNNs and ANNs implemented in compiler: Research and develop a high-quality compiler backend for CGRAs targets supporting SNNs and ANNs. Compared to existing solutions, the energy efficiency needs to be improved by exploiting SIMD, advanced memory hierarchy, data reuse, sparsity, software operand bypassing, etc.
Topic 3: Compositional performance analysis and architecture Design Space Exploration (DSE) of a System-on-Chip (SOC): Research and develop an infrastructure to model energy & latency at the SoC level, including the SoC level memory hierarchy and processing host, as well as integrating the different accelerator component models. To support rapid evaluations needed for the DSE, analytical models need to be pursued. The development of compositional models will moreover enable run-time performance assessment of an application when the platform configuration changes (dynamic SoC reconfiguration) due to a failing platform component.
Topic 4: Composable and Secure SoC accelerator platform: Research and develop novel composable and real-time design techniques to realize an ultra-low-power and real-time Trusted Execution Environment (TEE) for an SoC platform consisting of RISC-V cores with several accelerators. Different security features that protect against physical attacks need to be integrated into the SoC platform, while maintaining ultra-low-power and real-time requirements of the applications. The platform should allow easy and secure integration of Post-Quantum Cryptography accelerators and Compute-In-Memory (CIM) based hardware accelerators.
For both positions we are looking for excellent, teamwork-oriented, and research-driven candidates with a PhD degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or AI related topic and strong hardware/software design skills.
Electronic Systems group
The Electronic Systems group (tue.nl/es) is a top research group consisting of five full professors, two associate professors, seven assistant professors, several postdocs, about 40 PDEng and PhD candidates, and support staff. The ES group is world-renowned for its design automation and embedded systems research. It is our ambition to provide a scientific basis for design trajectories of electronic systems, ranging from digital circuits to cyber-physical systems. The trajectories are constructive and lead to high-quality, cost-effective systems with predictable properties (functionality, timing, reliability, power dissipation, and cost). Design trajectories for applications that have strict real-time requirements and stringent power constraints are an explicit focus point of the group.
Conditions of employment
- A meaningful job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the possibility to present your work at international conferences.
- A full-time employment for three years in a research group with an excellent reputation, with an intermediate evaluation after one year.
- A gross monthly salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- Should you come from abroad and comply with certain conditions, you can make use of the so-called ‘30% facility’, which permits you not to pay tax on 30% of your salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
- A personal development program aimed to develop your social and communication skills (see http://www.tue.nl/PROOF3TU).
- A TU/e Postdoc Association that helps you to build a stronger and broader academic and personal network, and offers tailored support, training and workshops.
- A Staff Immigration Team is available for international candidates, as are a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) and a compensation for moving expenses.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow. More information Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? Please contact dr.ir. Sander Stuijk, s.stuijk[at]tue.nl, http://www.es.ele.tue.nl/~sander. Visit our website for more information about the application process or the conditions of employment. or contact Mrs. Linda van den Boomen, HR advisor l.j.c.v.d.boomen[at]tue.nl.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
Application If you are interested in working in an exciting, dynamic, high-tech environment, where you will contribute to creating the society of the future, we invite you to submit a complete application by using the ‘apply now’ button on this page.
The application should include:
- Cover letter in which you describe your personal motivation and qualifications specifically for the position. Indicate your choice for one of the four research topics listed above.
- A detailed curriculum vitae including research experience and publications.
- Transcript of master and bachelor degrees.
- Copy of your final PhD thesis including English abstract (PDF file).
- The contact information of three academic referees.
We look forward to your application and will screen your application as soon as possible. The vacancy will remain open until the position is filled.
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.