There is a vacancy for a predoctoral fellow at the DIPA- Centre at the Department of Government, University of Bergen, Norway. The position is for a fixed-term period of 12 months. The formal name of the predoctoral position in the university system is “research assistant”. Total employment as a research assistant (predoctoral fellow) cannot exceed two years.
A predoctoral fellow is a recruitment position where the main task is to be a supporting entity to academic staff in their instructional and research endeavors. The predoctoral position is for candidates that seek a career in academia and aim for a PhD. The position will provide the opportunity to gain insight into scientific work and methodology by working for an experienced PI and to be a team member in an ambitions research team of young researchers.
Will include tasks related to work with
- Coding of data material
- Administer practicalities with surveys
- Practical tasks associated with research projects
- Collecting numerical and statistical material
- Perform statistical analyses
- Assist with organizing conferences and seminars
- Conduct literature searches
- Other administrative tasks
Requirements and personal characteristics:
- A master’s degree in political science or sociology (other relevant social science subjects may be considered for exceptional candidates). The degree must be completed by the application deadline
- It is a prerequisite that the person being employed can demonstrate good knowledge of social science methodology, especially quantitative methods
- Experience with statistical analysis software such as Stata, SPSS or equivalent is necessary
- Excellent language skills in English, both oral and written, are required
- Good administrative IT skills are necessary
- Good academic results are emphasized
- Ability to work systematically and results-oriented is important
- Good cooperation and communication skills are required
- High work capacity is expected
- Good language skills in another language are a positive factor. Strong motivation for the research areas of the DIPA center is a plus, see overview of projects at DIPA webpage: https://discretion.uib.no
- Ambition to pursue a doctoral degree is required
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Salary as research assistant (code 1020) at pay grade 51 (NOK 509300)
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Training and good welfare benefits
Application with CV, copies of diplomas, certificates of education and other relevant documents with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge (by the link on this page marked “Apply for this job”.)
Closing date: June 18, 2023. The application has to be marked: 2023/6308.
Potential candidates will be invited for an interview.
Additional information about the position is obtainable by contacting Prof. Marit Skivenes, e-mail Marit.Skivenes@uib.no, phone +47 959 24 979.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.
About The University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are seven departments at Faculty of Social Sciences. Read more about the faculty and departments.