Are you looking for an exciting opportunity in one of Europe’s high-tech regions? Do you have passion to contribute towards a zero waste society by working towards sustainable materials in next generation electrical drives Then we have a job for you!
Position – Engineering Doctorate (EngD)
Irène Curie Fellowship – No
Department(s) – Electrical Engineering
FTE – 1,0
Date off – 31/08/2023
Reference number – V36.6767
Bosch is one of the world’s biggest automotive part suppliers. Bosch Transmission Technology is a company that has expertise in (electric) vehicle transmission systems and components. The company’s expertise ranges from experience in metallurgy and metal interfaces to lifetime of metal and durability under harsh loading conditions. In line with the company’s research priorities, the future development of next generation thin metal (based) sheet materials is investigated to be used in high performance applications such as electrical vehicle powertrain components for a sustainable mobility.
Demand for high performance and high speed applications (hybrid/electrical vehicles, airborne applications, compressors, etc.) are rapidly increasing in the global markets due to emerging electrification and substantiality issues. Many companies are looking for innovations to improve power density, cost and efficiency of the electric motors, which is an important component in such high performance applications.
In electric motors (EMs), stator and rotor iron/e-stack design play an important role for the performance of the EM. One of the development measures to improve the costs of the electric motor is eliminating or reducing permanent magnets. Common examples of such technology are electrically excited synchronous machines (ESM), (magnet assisted) synchronous reluctance machines (SynRM). Yet, the market is still expected to be driven by permanent magnet synchronous machines (PSM) as well. Another practice is also combining these machine technologies into “hybrid machines” to combine several advantages.
The target of this project is to find sustainable design and material solutions to optimize performance and cost of ESM, PSM, (magnet assisted) SynRM and hybrid machine e-stacks (rotor and stator) considering the company’s production and process capabilities.
EngD Task description and Deliverables
- Defining design requirements and bottlenecks of ESM, PSM, (magnet assisted) SynRM and hybrid machines for the target markets prioritized by the company
- Brainstorming design, materials (iron stack (Si, Ni, Co, etc…)) and production solutions by aligning with the production team. Investigating possible benefits of the solutions (e.g. simulations, measurements)
- Evaluating the current E-stack production process for all the active materials, focusing on the added value of their recyclability and eco-design for circularity/sustainability,
- Creating a proposal for required process changes towards eco-design of E-stacks and assisting in the development of AI based material models for the new process
- Defining opportunities and risks as a team member in internal activities
About the EPE group:
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is a world-leading research university specializing in engineering science & technology. Within Department of Electrical Engineering, Electromechanics and Power Electronics (EPE) group has one of the most advanced electromechanics and power electronics laboratories in the Netherlands. It contains state-of-the-art facilities for testing and validation of electromechanical and power electronics systems.
The EPE group consists of 2 full professors, 10 associate and assistant professors, several postdocs, about 30 PhD candidates and support staff. The EPE group is world-renowned for 6-DoF planar motors and levitated stages, wireless energy transfer concepts, tubular actuation concepts, and high-precision power electronics.
The main focus areas of the EPE group are applied and fundamental research in the clusters of high-precision technology, automotive, medical, renewable energy and grids. In recent years, the research focus has strongly grown for innovative and energy-saving conversion systems in line with industrial demands. All research areas are greatly supported by the national and international programs.
We are looking for candidates matching the following profile:
- MSc degree in Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Mechatronics or Materials Engineering
- Affinity or pervious work experience with
- Different electrical machine design and control techniques, as well as their experimental validation
- Active materials used in electrical machines/drives (Electrical steel, ferromagnetic materials, copper etc.)
- Solid practical skills in programming (Matlab, Simulink, Phyton, etc),
- Knowledge of and experience in these fields is a big plus:
- Electrical machine FEM simulation programs (Ansys, Altaire, Comsol, JMAG, etc.)
- Sustainable or circular product cycles (inc. metal recycling)
- Parameter identification of electrical drive systems
- Mobility systems and/or industrial servo applications
- A very strong analytical background, with sound mathematical skills
- Ability to independently organize your own work, to solve problems, to achieve desirable goals and to cooperate
- Project management skills are a plus
- Good writing and documentation skills
- Strong command of the English language (knowledge of Dutch/German language is a plus)
Conditions of employment
A meaningful job in a dynamic and international work environment at one of Europe’s leading universities in the Brainport region with joint forces of academia and industry. Very broad opportunities for an academic, industrial or mixed career after your promotion at prestigious institutions. You will work on a beautiful, green campus within walking distance of the central train station. In addition, we offer you:
- Full-time employment for two years.
- Salary and benefits (such as a pension scheme, paid pregnancy and maternity leave, partially paid parental leave) in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- A year-end bonus of 8.3% and annual vacation pay of 8%.
- To support you during your EngD and to prepare you for the rest of your career, you will have free access to a personal development program for EngD trainees.
- An excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus children’s day care and sports facilities.
- An allowance for commuting, working from home and internet costs.
- A very lively campus with a tremendous amount of sport facilities for a good work-life balance
- A Staff Immigration Team and a tax compensation scheme (the 30% facility) for international candidates.
- Family-friendly initiatives, such as an international spouse program.
Information and application
Eindhoven University of Technology is an internationally top-ranking university in the Netherlands that combines scientific curiosity with a hands-on attitude. Our spirit of collaboration translates into an open culture and a top-five position in collaborating with advanced industries. Fundamental knowledge enables us to design solutions for the highly complex problems of today and tomorrow.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more?Please contact the hiring manager dr. Esin Ilhan Caarls, e.ilhan[at]tue.nl or you can find more info on EngD DEES program.
Are you inspired and would like to know more about working at TU/e? Please visit our career page.
We invite you to submit a complete application by using the ‘apply now’-button on this page. Applications should include the following files in PDF format separately:
- letter of motivation including;
- explaining your motivation and suitability for the position
- portfolio with relevant work
- detailed Curriculum Vitae inc. months (not just years) with:
- education and work experience
- a list of your publications
- key achievements in relevant projects
- contact information of two references (please do not include any letters);
- brief (1-page description) of your MSc thesis, transcript, course names & grades,
- results of IELTS or TOEFL test
A selection of applications will be invited for job interviews. During the interviews, the applicant(s) will be asked to present their portfolio.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
Magnetic materials, Electrical machines, Testing, Sustainability, Eco-design, Recyclability, Circularity
The Department of Electrical Engineering teaches highly motivated Masters of Science, designers and doctoral candidates, and carries out breakthrough research in its field. The department has three spearheads: Connected World, Care and Cure, and Smart Sustainable Systems. These themes are reflected in the department’s nine teaching chairs.