Lund University, Faculty of Science, Centre for Mathematical Sciences
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has around 46 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.
The Centre for Mathematical Sciences has around 150 employees, with approximately 40 in the division Mathematics, Faculty of Science, where this position is situated. The other divisions are Mathematics with Numerical Analysis, Faculty of Engineering, and Mathematical Statistics. Research at the Centre for Mathematical Sciences is conducted in Scientific Computing and Numerical Analysis, Algebra, Operator Theory and Complex Analysis, Linear and Nonlinear PDEs, Differential Geometry, Dynamical Systems, Image Analysis, Machine Learning and Computer Vision, as well as Mathematical Statistics, Probability Theory, and Mathematical Didactics. The degree courses lead to Bachelor, Master, and PhD degrees and, at the Faculty of Engineering, to Civil Engineering degrees. Research in Scientific Computing and Numerical Analysis at the Centre for Mathematical Sciences focuses on numerical methods and software for differential equations. We are looking for a candidate that expands our expertise in a modern direction of scientific computing, preferably with a connection to statistics in a broad sense. Examples are uncertainty quantification, stochastic differential equations, model order reduction, scientific machine learning or the relation to data based models.
The position mainly entails research and teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels (especially related to scientific computing and numerical analysis). The faculty of science is starting two new master programs in computational science which the successful candidate is expected to contribute to. Supervision of Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD students is included in the teaching duties. The amount of teaching is at most 60 % of full time. Administration tasks can be included. The work assignments of the position, as well as the relative proportions of research and teaching, may change over time.The successful candidate is expected to contribute to the research group in Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing, for example via joint research activities and seminars. Furthermore, applying for external funding and developing interdisciplinary collaborations as well as collaborations within Mathematics, both with other departments within the University and with other universities, is expected.
Qualified for appointment as Senior Lecturer are those who have demonstrated teaching expertise and have been awarded a PhD, or have demonstrated the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise that is of value in view of the subject matter of the post and the duties that it will involve (according to Higher Education Ordinance chapter 4, section 4).To qualify for this position, applicants must hold a doctorate in Mathematics or Numerical Analysis, or demonstrate equivalent competence.Applicants are also required to have completed at least five weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning, or to have acquired equivalent knowledge by other means. In certain cases, exceptions can be made from this requirement.For academic staff at Lund University, a general requirement is being suited to and having the abilities required for fulfilling the duties of the post well.
Basis of assessment
- The applicant must have documented scientific skills in Scientific Computing.
- The applicant must have a high international level as a researcher, relative to career length.
- The applicant’s research profile must have a connection to the existing research on numerical methods for differential equations at the Centre for Mathematical Sciences, but must add new research aspects.
- The applicant must have varied and documented teaching experience.
- The ability to teach in English is a requirement.
- The applicant must have experience in supervising Master or Bachelor thesis projects.
- Documented ability to obtain research grants in national or international competition is a strong merit.
- Experience of interdisciplinary collaboration is a strong merit.
- Experience of course development and a reflective approach to teaching are strong merits.
- Experience in PhD student supervision is a merit.
- Documented experience of interaction with the society at large and in communicating science and the value of research to society is likewise relevant and a merit.
For the appointment, consideration will be given to the question as to how the applicant, through documented skills and experience, can strengthen and extend the Department’s research and teaching in the field. Applicants should present their current research and a research plan for the next few years, and demonstrate how they can contribute to research at the institution. The scientific qualifications of applicants will be evaluated mainly on the basis of the quality and quantity of peer-reviewed scientific publications. As much attention shall be given to the assessment of teaching expertise as to the assessment of research expertise. The appointment will be made in accordance to the Lund University Appointment Rules.
It is expected that within a period of three years, a non-Swedish speaking appointee will master the Swedish language sufficiently well to be able to teach and to communicate with the university administration in Swedish.
Design and content of the application
The application is to be written in English and should be formulated according to the Faculty of Science’s instructions for applications for teaching positions. Upload the application as PDF-files in the recruitment system.
The Faculty of Science conducts research and education within Biology, Astronomy, Physics, Geosciences, Chemistry, Mathematics and Environmental Science. The Faculty is organized into nine departments, gathered in the northern campus area. The Faculty has approximately 1500 students, 330 PhD students and 700 employees.
We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
- Type of employment- Permanent position
- Contract type- Full time
- First day of employment- As soon as possible, upon agreement
- Salary- Monthly
- Number of positions- 1
- Full-time equivalent- 100
- City- Lund
- County- Skåne län
- Country- Sweden
- Reference number- PA2022/3937
- Anders Heyden, professor, +46462228531,firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helen Johansson, rekryteringshandläggare, +46462223609,email@example.com
- OFR/ST:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, +46462229362
- SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds universitet, firstname.lastname@example.org
- SEKO: Seko Civil, +46462229366
Last application date
20.Feb.2023 11:59 PM CET