We are looking for
Are you an expert in using and developing data-driven decision-making tools?Are you interested in integral social-technical transition of urban systems? Do you want to help metropoles to deal with climate, water, resource security, health, sustainable energy and other urban challenges, by inclusion of advanced technology and system innovations? Would you be committed to educating young talents to support these sustainability transitions of urban environments? If yes, you may be the lecturer candidate we are looking for!
To further strengthen our group, we invite applications for the lecturer position in the area of Urban System Engineering team (USE), part of the Environmental Technology group (ETE), where data-driven decision-making using machine learning and optimization algorithms is an emerging and growing area in education and research.The Department of Environmental Technology of Wageningen University is led by Prof. Huub Rijnaarts and provides education and conducts research on the topics of System Engineering and Environmental Technologies. It is our aim to help create a sustainable society with a focus on circular resources (such as water, nutrients, and organics), non-fossil energy supply systems, and climate adaptation and mitigating approaches in the urban, industrial and agro-industrial environment (https://www.wur.nl/en/research-results/chair-groups/agrotechnology-and-food-sciences/environmental-technology.htm). Your work will focus on:
- Coordinating and teaching an advanced MSc course in planning urban transition via data-driven decision-making tools, and providing lecture modules and teaching assistance in other advanced MSc courses related to data-driven environmental modeling and that are coordinated by other USE colleagues (ca. 60% of your time)
- Supporting research activities that enable the development and use of data-driven research tools by MSc’s, PhD’s and Post Docs in interaction with societal stakeholders (ca. 15%)
- Participating in acquisition/proposal writing and contributions to the execution of scientific research projects of the USE team (ca. 15%).
- Developing yourself into a university lecturer following the Educational Career Path (ECP) of Wageningen University (ca. 10%)
Our Education Career Path offers teachers an attractive career perspective. With this, WUR indicates the importance of high-quality and innovative academic education. We offer you a versatile job in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere. For more information please visit this page:
You are an ambitious and enthusiastic lecturer devoted to excellence in education in urban environmental management. Further, you have:
- A PhD degree in environmental science/technology/engineering/management, with proven knowledge and practice in operations research and/or machine learning, applied mathematics, computer sciences or related fields
- Enthusiastic approach in teaching and coaching MSc and PhD students and strong orientation towards an educational career path in a university,
- Good didactic qualities and enthusiasm for teaching and working with students
- The Dutch University Teaching Qualification (UTQ; in Dutch “BKO”) or willingness to complete this within three years after starting this position.
- Advanced knowledge and/or willingness to develop in geo-spatial analysis and programming skills (e.g., Python) and in data, method and model management and maintenance
- Ability to work in interdisciplinary teams
This position requires an excellent English language proficiency (a mininum of CEFR C2 level). For more information about this proficiency level, please visit our special language page.
Wageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment. A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include:
- sabbatical leave, study leave, and paid parental leave;
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance;
- the option to accrue additional holiday hours by working more, up to 40 hours per week;
- there is a strong focus on vitality and you can make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee;
- a fixed December bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent pension scheme.
In addition to these first-rate employee benefits, you will of course receive a good salary. Depending on your experience, we offer a competitive gross salary of between €2.836,- and €4.474,- for a full-time working week of 38 hours, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreements for Dutch Universities (CAO-NU) (scale 10).You are going to work at the greenest and most innovative campus in Holland, and at a university that has been chosen as the “Best University” in the Netherlands for the 16th consecutive time.
Coming from abroad Wageningen University & Research is the university and research centre for life sciences. The themes we deal with are relevant to everyone around the world and Wageningen, therefore, has a large international community and a lot to offer to international employees. Applicants from abroad moving to the Netherlands may qualify for a special tax relief, known as the 30% ruling. Our team of advisors on Dutch immigration procedures will help you with the visa application procedures for yourself and, if applicable, for your family.
Feeling welcome also has everything to do with being well informed. Wageningen University & Research’s International Community page contains practical information about what we can do to support international employees and students coming to Wageningen. Furthermore, we can assist you with any additional advice and information about helping your partner to find a job, housing, schooling, and other issues.
For more information about this position, please contact Dr. Shahab Shariat Torbaghan (email@example.com) and for the application and selection procedure Joes van Meurs (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Do you want to apply? You can apply directly using the apply button on the vacancy page on our website which will allow us to process your personal information with your approval.
This vacancy will be listed up to and including the 27th of January 2023. We hope to schedule the first job interviews in the first three weeks of February 2023.
Equal opportunities Wageningen University & Research (WUR) employs a large number of people with very different backgrounds and qualities, who inspire and motivate each other. We want every talent to feel at home in our organisation and be offered the same career opportunities. We therefore especially welcome applications from people who are underrepresented at WUR. For more information please go to our inclusivity page. A good example of how WUR deals with inclusiveness can be read on the page working at WUR with a functional impairment.
Wageningen University & Research
The mission of Wageningen University & Research is “To explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life”. Under the banner Wageningen University & Research, Wageningen University and the specialised research institutes of the Wageningen Research Foundation have joined forces in contributing to finding solutions to important questions in the domain of healthy food and living environment.With its roughly 30 branches, 7,200 employees (6,400 fte) and 13,200 students and over 150.000 participants to WUR’s Life Long Learning, Wageningen University & Research is one of the leading organisations in its domain. The unique Wageningen approach lies in its integrated approach to issues and the collaboration between different disciplines.. An integrated approach to problems and the cooperation between various disciplines are at the heart of Wageningen’s unique approach. WUR has been named Best Employer in the Education category for 2019-2020.These are the points our employees list as good reasons to come work at WUR: read the 5 reasons to come work at WUR
We will recruit for the vacancy ourselves, so no employment agencies please. However, sharing in your network is appreciated.