As new assistant professor, you are highly motivated to contribute through excellent research, teaching and engagement. You will be expected to teach in English, with a moderate teaching load.
Your main tasks
Your role will contribute to the future of accounting and business through teaching our talented international students, through innovative research, and when possible through engagement with external businesses and organisations. Your main tasks include:
- Conducting academic research aimed at top-tier journals – independently and in collaboration with others
- teaching courses in accounting (in English) to students from RSM’s BSc (International) Business Administration and MScBA Accounting and Financial Management
- Contributing to the further development of RSM, and to the department of Accounting and Control in particular.
- Engaging with RSM’s mission to be a force for positive change in the world.
RSM and the Erasmus School of Economics at Erasmus University both have an accounting department. Faculty members of both departments form the Erasmus Accounting Research Group, which has a strong research tradition and an international orientation, as evidenced by publications in top journals, research collaboration with academics at leading US schools, an international seminar series and a US-style PhD programme. Erasmus University has access to excellent research facilities, including most major databases (WRDS, CRSP, Compustat, Datastream, Bloomberg, I/B/E/S, TAQ, etc.), a state-of-the-art behavioural laboratory and an experimental economics laboratory.
Applicants are expected to have a PhD degree in Accounting or related relevant field, or to be close to obtaining it. Fluency in English is a requirement, as is demonstrable research ability (through publications or working papers).
Your required competences
- You are an inspired, ambitious and competent researcher, with a strong commitment to high-quality research
- Enthusiastic about teaching, and an able presenter both in classroom and online settings
- You have strong English language skills, in both writing and speaking.
- You value research with practical relevance that is impactful to academics and practitioners alike.
- The ability to provide critical yet constructive feedback is a strength.
- An appreciation for academic research that is linked to real-world problems, and that can create impact both to the academic community and the business community.
A tenure track assistant professor position. Tenure decisions (typically after 5 years) are based on individual performance. This is a full-time position with a contract for 38 hours per week; starting date is flexible but preferably on or about 1 September 2023.
The conditions of employment comply with the collective labour agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU).
Salary is subject to training and experience and may vary: for an Assistant professor position from a minimum of € 3,974 gross per month (scale 11 CAO NU) and up to a maximum of € 6,181 gross per month (scale 12 CAO NU), based on a full-time contract of 38 hours. Favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants. Erasmus University Rotterdam has attractive employment conditions, which include a holiday allowance of 8%, an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% and a generous number of vacation days.
There will be opportunities for job-specific training and development where necessary; RSM encourages learning, personal growth, and training for increased effectiveness for all colleagues. RSM also offers a mentoring programme for all employees.
Are you interested in this position? We will start screening applications on a continuous basis, until the position is filled. We aim to review all applications within two weeks of the deadline.
Your application should include:
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Sample copies of your research (published or working papers)
- Concise Research and Teaching Statement
- Recent teaching evaluations, if available
You will also be asked to provide two references (contact details) who will be asked to upload their reference letters.
For questions about this position, please contact Prof. Marcel van Rinsum via email@example.com.
For more information about the:
- Erasmus Accounting Research Group: https://www.erim.eur.nl/accounting-group/
- RSM Accounting: www.rsm.nl/research/departments/accounting-and-control
- RSM: www.rsm.nl
- RSM MSc Accounting & Financial Management: www.rsm.nl/afm
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM) is one of Europe’s top-ranked business schools. RSM provides ground-breaking research and education furthering excellence in all aspects of management and is based in the international port city of Rotterdam – a vital nexus of business, logistics and trade. RSM’s primary focus is on developing business leaders with international careers who can become a force for positive change by carrying their innovative mindset into a sustainable future. Our first-class range of bachelor, master, MBA, PhD and executive programmes encourage them to become critical, creative, caring and collaborative thinkers and doers. Study information and activities for future students, executives and alumni are also organised from the RSM office in Chengdu, China. www.rsm.nl
RSM is a faculty of Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR). EUR is an internationally oriented university with a strong social orientation in its education and research. Our scientists and students work in close collaboration with internal and external parties to solve global, social challenges, inspired by the always dynamic and cosmopolitan Rotterdam. Our mission is therefore “Creating positive societal impact”. Our academic education is intensive, active and application-oriented. Our research increasingly takes place in multidisciplinary teams, which are strongly intertwined with international networks. With our research impact and thanks to the high quality of education, EUR can compete with the top European universities. The Erasmian values function as our internal compass and make Erasmus University recognizable to the outside world: engaged with society, world citizen, connecting, entrepreneurial and open-minded. www.eur.nl