Department of Social Sciences and Business, Roskilde University, invites applications for a position as PhD fellow in the field of Politics and Public Administration from January 2nd 2024 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position as PhD is limited to a period of 3 years.
The Doctoral School You will be enrolled as a PhD fellow at the Doctoral School of Social Sciences and Business with approximately 40 PhD fellows from all over the world. You will be provided with two dedicated supervisors who will coach you throughout the process.
The Doctoral School of Social Sciences & Business (ISE) provides PhD training and research within an interdisciplinary, international, and professional environment. It is part of a dynamic community of researchers who share a commitment to understanding society in diverse contexts of change and global engagement. Researchers come from all over the world and engage in topics that are geographically, theoretically and methodologically diverse The Doctoral School has one PhD program. The program offers work in progress seminars, thematic professional development seminars, feedback and social activities for the enrolled PhD fellows.
As a PhD fellow you will be associated with the research area Politics and Public Administration, which covers the following research groups:
- Roskilde School of Governance (https://forskning.ruc.dk/en/organisations/roskilde-school-of-governance )
- Transformation and ordering of Political Institutions (https://forskning.ruc.dk/en/organisations/transformation-and-ordering-of-political-institutions)
You will belong to one of the groups.
Responsibilities and tasks As a PhD fellow you are trained at an international level to undertake research, development and teaching assignments. You are responsible for carrying out independent research under supervision and receive constructive feedback in the PhD program in order to finish your PhD thesis. During your employment you are required to take 30 ECTS of course work, gain experience of teaching activities and have a stay at another research environment in Denmark or abroad. For more information, please see chapter 3, Ministerial Order on the PhD Program at the Universities and Certain Higher Artistic Educational Institutions (https://ufm.dk/en/legislation/prevailing-laws-and-regulations/education/files/engelsk-ph-d-bekendtgorelse.pdf) and Ph.d.-protokolattet i Cirkulære om overenskomst for Akademikere I Staten
Qualifications You must hold a master’s degree or equivalent within the social sciences. We emphasize the following qualifications:
- Theoretical overview and competences
- Scientific originality
- Advanced methodological skills
- Proficiency in English
You are required to be enterprising and to possess good communication skills and to be a visible, involved participant in the department’s daily activities, in addition to being willing to engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the department.
Assessment In the assessment regarding employment consideration will be given to;
- Relevant Master’s degree (120 ECTS) or equivalent (according to Danish Qualifications Framework for Higher Education: https://ufm.dk/en/education/recognition-and-transparency/transparency-tools/qualifications-frameworks/other-qualifications-frameworks/danish-qf-for-higher-education?set_language=en&cl=en).
- Any additional academic requirements stated in the job advertisement.
In the assessment regarding enrollment consideration will also be given to the following criteria:
- Educational skills and any further professional qualifications
- Excellent grades at Master’s program or equivalent
- Quality and relevance of the project description
- Originality and relevance of the research problem, and the choices of theory and method
- Consistency and coherence between the problem and the choice of method and theory
- If the PhD project seems realistic and feasible
- Ability to complete the PhD project
- Relevance of the project to the profile of the Doctoral School
Questions For further information about the position, please contact Head of the Doctoral School Hanne Marlene Dahl +4546742922 or for administrative or technical questions, please contact PhD coordinator Ida Bruhn Bull on tel. +45 4674 3279 or email: email@example.com
Terms of employment The employment is on full time, 37 hours per week and you will refer to Dean Peter Kragelund
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
Application procedure After the deadline for applications the Dean will shortlist applicants for assessment with assistance from the recruitment committee including the chairperson of the assessment committee.
Shortly after the application deadline all applicants will be notified whether or not their application has been selected for assessment.
The shortlisted applicants will be informed about the composition of the assessment committee, and each applicant will be given the opportunity to comment on the composition of the committee and – later on – their assessment.
Once the recruitment process is completed, all applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application.
Application To apply for the position go to www.ruc.dk/en/job/
Only applications in English are accepted.
Applications must include:
1. Cover letter
3. Documentation of education including grades from Master’s programme or equivalent
4. Your description of the PhD project (no more than 5 pages)
5. Your time schedule of the PhD project
6. If applicable: Documentation for any research experience, work experience or publications.
Please submit your application no later than August 1, 2023.
Material received after this date will not be taken into consideration.
Roskilde University wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.