Postdoctoral fellowship is available for a Ph.D. or equivalent with a strong background in genomics, computational biology, and biostatistics with extensive research experience in the research field related to metabolic diseases to join the Merino Group at the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research, University of Copenhagen in Genomics and Precision Medicine – Denmark Dec 2022.
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic scientist who has the following skills and qualifications:
- Ph.D. with experience in computational biology, genomics, omics, molecular biomedicine, metabolism, or related sciences.
- Knowledge of theoretical and applied biostatics, statistical genetics methods, multi-omics, and metabolism.
- High level of proficiency in programming.
- An active interest in obesity, diabetes, metabolism, and precision medicine.
- Excellent scientific track record in relation to career stage.
- Prior knowledge of the genetics of obesity and diabetes and experience in multi-omics analysis or precision medicine studies will be an asset.
- Proficient communication skills and ability to work both independently and as part of multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience in supervising other researchers at different levels.
- A team player and “can do” attitude.
Obesity and diabetes are complex metabolic diseases with substantial etiological heterogeneity. Recent studies have described subtypes of these diseases based on variable clinical presentation or genetic differences. A better understanding of the molecular mechanisms underlying these subtypes of obesity and diabetes is needed for the eventual implementation of precision medicine for metabolic diseases. The successful candidate will analyze high throughput omics data (genomics, transcriptomics, metabolomics, proteomics, metagenomics) from large biobanks and population cohorts to elucidate 1) molecular signatures underlying obesity and diabetes subtypes, 2) investigate how these features are related to variable disease progression and the propensity to develop clinical complications, and 3) determine whether targeted therapeutic strategies are more likely to work into specific disease subtypes.
How to Apply?Application Method: online_applicationRef. No. -
Your online application must be submitted in English by clicking ‘Apply now’ below. Furthermore, your application must include the following documents/attachments – all in PDF format:
- Cover letter expressing the motivation and previous research experience of the applicant (max 1 page).
- CV incl. education, work/research experience, language skills and other skills relevant for the position.
- A certified/signed copy of a) Ph.D. certificate and b) Master of Science certificate. If the Ph.D. is not completed, a written statement from the supervisor will do.
- List of publications.
About UsThe Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research’s vision is to strengthen interdisciplinary research that transforms our basic understanding of the mechanisms that underlie metabolic health and disease and to accelerate this knowledge toward new prevention and treatment strategies. We were established in 2010, and in 2017, we moved into new laboratories, offices, and meeting rooms in the Maersk Tower www.maersktower.ku.dk. The Center has around 260 employees who work in an international, highly collaborative research environment across a range of biomedical disciplines. You can read more about us here: www.cbmr.ku.dk. Our group and research The Merino Group investigates how molecular and environmental factors modulate variable metabolic responses to therapeutic interventions and shape food choice behavior. The group aims to generate actionable knowledge to inform more effective obesity and diabetes prevention and treatment strategies. You can read more about the Merino Group here: Genomics and Precision Medicine in the Merino Group – University of Copenhagen (ku.dk) We strive to build and sustain an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all of us by supporting and promoting diversity, equity, and social support.
Place of employmentThe place of employment is at Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research, Maersk Tower, Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen. We offer creative and stimulating working conditions in a dynamic and international research environment.
Terms of employmentThe employment as a postdoc is a full-time and fixed-term position for 3 years. Starting date is February 15, 2023, or after agreement. Salary, pension and other conditions of employment are set in accordance with the Agreement between the Ministry of Taxation and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations) or other relevant organisation. Currently, the monthly salary starts at 35,000 DKK/approx. 4,700 EUR (October 2021 level). Depending on qualifications, a supplement may be negotiated. The employer will pay an additional 17.1 % to your pension fund. Foreign and Danish applicants may be eligible for tax reductions, if they hold a PhD degree and have not lived in Denmark the last 10 years. The position is covered by the Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities 2020.
For further information please contact Associate Professor Jordi Merino at [email protected]; for questions regarding the recruitment procedure, please contact SUND HR CBMR at [email protected]. Foreign applicants may find this link useful: www.ism.ku.dk (International Staff Mobility).