Associate Senior Lecturer Job in Nursing at the Faculty of Health, Science, and Technology / Department of Health Sciences, Karlstad University, Sweden 2022
Scroll Down for Content
Position: Associate Senior Lecturer
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Nursing Science
Deadline to Apply: Expired
Joining Date: ASAP
Contract Period: 4 Years
Salary: According to standard norms
Scroll Down for Content
To be eligible for the position of associate senior lecturer in nursing, applicants are required to hold a PhD or equivalent academic competence in nursing/health sciences. The position is primarily intended for applicants who have completed their PhD or acquired equivalent qualifications no longer than five years before the application deadline. If an applicant completed their PhD or equivalent qualifications more than five years ago, this requirement may be waived if there are special circumstances.
Pursuant to the Karlstad University Appointments Procedure, teachers must have the personal qualities required to perform the duties involved, as well as a completed course in higher education pedagogy. In special circumstances, candidates who have not completed a course in higher education pedagogy may still be hired provided that they do so within two years of employment or that they apply for validation of prior learning.
The position requires proficiency in Swedish and English. An applicant who does not meet this requirement may still be hired provided they are able to actively acquire the specified language skills.
For other eligibility requirements, refer to Karlstad University’s Appointments Procedure https://www.kau.se/files/2020-12/AnstÃ¤llningsordning 201126.pdf
Special weight will be given to:
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to pursue an academic career, and potential to contribute to the development of existing research and education in the subject.
- The applicant’s ability to contribute with new competence and experience of relevance to the subject.
Considerable weight will be given to:
- Documented ability to successfully apply for and secure external research funding, and experience of research collaborations between the academic community and healthcare providers.
- Personal qualities such as the ability to cooperate, take initiative, being result-oriented, and taking responsibility, as well as showing commitment and a positive attitude towards colleagues and students.
- Specialist nursing competence in, for example, theatre care, intensive care, or other specialisation.
Weight will be given to:
- Experience of representative duties within the academic community.
- Up-to-date experience of collaborating with the larger community and of disseminating findings of research and development work.
- Experience of international employment, projects, or national and international networks of relevance to the position.
- Ability to teach in Swedish.
- Administrative skills.
- Experience of project management or experience as head of research.
- Teaching awards[IS2] .
Further information on qualification requirements and assessment criteria can be found in the Higher Education Ordinance, Chap. 4, Sect. 12 and Karlstad University’s Appointments Procedure.
Terms for promotion to senior lecturer
Upon applying, an associate senior lecturer should be promoted to senior lecturer provided he or she is qualified for the position (Higher Education Ordinance, Chap. 4, Sect. 4) and is deemed suitable following an assessment (Higher Education Ordinance, Chap. 4, Sect. 4a). The applicant must have completed a prerequisite course in higher education pedagogy.
For other eligibility requirements, refer to the Higher Education Ordinance, Chapter 4, and Karlstad University’s Appointments Procedure https://www.kau.se/files/2020-12/AnstÃ¤llningsordning 201126.pdf
The position as senior lecturer is permanent.
Karlstad University places great value on the enriching presence of diverse backgrounds and gender balance in the organisation. We welcome applicants with different cultural backgrounds, gender identities, functional abilities, and life experiences.
The Department of Health Sciences belongs to the Faculty of Health, Science and Technology, and comprises the subjects Nursing, Oral Health and Public Health. The subject of nursing offers a first-cycle programme in nursing, second-cycle programmes in specialist nursing (prehospital nursing, intensive care, theatre care, and public health care), freestanding courses, contract education, and third-cycle courses. Nursing constitutes a main field of study in degrees at Bachelor’s and Master’s level (60 and 120 credits), as well as a subject in degrees at licentiate and doctoral level.
Research in the subject at Karlstad University is concentrated to the research programme Promoting Health and Quality of Care. The research programme comprises three research domains that partly integrate with each other: Models and Innovations for Safe Care, Management of Complex Ill-Health Conditions, and Competence and Professional Development in Nursing. Research within the programme has a strong clinical focus and a long tradition of instrument development. The programme also has a close and well-established collaboration with Region Värmland and the municipalities in Värmland. You can find more information at https://www.kau.se/en/nursing/research/forskning-inom-omvardnad/program-research-promoting-health-and-quality-care.
In addition to nursing, the department also houses the subjects public health, medical science, and oral health. [IS1] Together with the other subjects in health sciences at the department, we work to further research and education in the field of health. Third-cycle courses in the subject are linked to the university’s interdisciplinary Graduate School of Health.
The position as associate senior lecturer aims to attract ambitious and qualified researchers who are at the beginning of their career and looking to gain valuable qualifications in nursing as a field of study.
The main duties consist of research in nursing, comprising at least 75% of working hours, based on the applicant’s competence profile in collaboration with established research domains and specialisations in the subject at Karlstad University, and preferably in collaboration with Region Värmland Region and the municipalities in Värmland. Research should aim to strengthen and further the existing research tracks of the department. You are expected to have an ambition to develop a solid network with other researchers and departments at national and international level, as well as conducting your own research. You are also expected to collaborate with the larger community to create mutual exchange and work to ensure that the knowledge and expertise available at the university is put to good use in society.
Duties also include teaching first- and second-cycle courses, and, if needed, third-cycle courses. For an associate senior lecturer, teaching duties can amount to a maximum of 25% of working hours. Teaching is primarily within the subject of nursing, but may also include certain areas of the other subjects at the department. Duties may include administrative tasks and assignments that are part of the university’s activities. You are also expected to contribute to the development work at the department.
In order to contribute to a positive working environment and help further the subject’s activities, we expect you to be a present and active part of the day-to-day operations and workplace community.
During the employment period, the associate senior lecturer is given the opportunity to further his/her skills as an independent researcher, as well as gaining additional qualifications in terms of both research and teaching expertise, in order to meet the requirements for a position as senior lecturer.
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: REK2022/30
Submit the application via the University’s web-based recruitment tool, Varbi. For advice on how to draft your application, refer to “Application Guidelines 2021” on the university website.
Applicants are responsible for submitting a complete application in accordance with the advertisement and for ensuring that the documentation allows for objective and qualitative assessments. A complete application should be submitted by the application deadline. An incomplete application may jeopardize a fair assessment of qualifications. The application and accompanying documentation must be in, or translated into, Swedish, English, or Norwegian.
The application should include:
- Cover letter
- An in-depth account of research experience
- An in-depth account of teaching experience
- Certificate to verify a completed course in higher education pedagogy or an account of equivalent skills
- An account of other experiences
- Managerial, collaborative, and administrative experience
- Plans for future work
- List of publications (in multi-authored publications, the role of the applicant must be specified)
- Information about language skills
- Copies of course transcripts, degree certificates, and other certificates
- no more than 10 scientific publications and no more than 5 materials intended to convey knowledge, such as textbooks, computer programs for teaching, or popular science articles.
- Include two references, at least one of which is a previous or current supervisor.
Attach all the documents and publications you wish to be considered to the electronic application (do not just provide links). Name each uploaded document to clearly indicate its content.
Documents that cannot be submitted electronically, such as books or publications, should be sent in triplicate to the following address:
Karlstads universitetHR-avdelningen/Josefin Rönnqvist651 88 KARLSTADSweden
Note or Other details
Temporary 4-year full-time position. Preliminary start date is 1 September 2022 or according to agreement.
Scroll Down for Content
- Helene Wadensjö, prefekt, +46 54 700 2537
- Maria Larsson, professor, +46 54 700 1995
Other Vacancies from this field Science and Technology
Scroll Down for Content