Associate Senior Lecturer in Computer Science – Game development as a part of career-development position is available for applicants with doctoral degree at the Department of Computer Science and Media Technology, Malmö University, Sweden, May 2022.
Scroll Down for Content
Position: Associate Senior Lecturer
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Game Design
Deadline to Apply: Expired
Joining Date: 1st January, 2023
Contract Period: 4 Years (permanent position based on performance)
Salary: According to standard norms
Scroll Down for Content
A person qualified for appointment as an Associate Senior Lecturer is a person who has been awarded a PhD or has the corresponding research expertise. Primary consideration should be given to a person who has been awarded a PhD or achieved the equivalent expertise within five years of the deadline for application for employment as an associate senior lecturer. However, a person who has been awarded a PhD or achieved the equivalent expertise at an earlier date may also be considered if there are exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances are sick leave, parental leave or other similar circumstances.
Specific requirements for this position:
- PhD degree in Computer Science, or related area.
- Documented experience of game research
The following would be of benefit for the position:
- Documented experience in teaching and assessment in the fields of computer graphics, game programming, game engine architecture,
- Documented experience in teaching and assessment within game development
- Documented experience in teaching and assessment in English.
- Documented experience in teaching and assessment in Swedish.
- Documented experience with existing commercial game engines (Unity, Unreal engine)
- Documented experience of supervising project work in an educational and/or industrial environment.
- Documented experience in collaborating with the society (including companies).
- Documented experience of research within serious games, artificial intelligence, procedural content generation PCG, or computer graphics
In addition to formal competence, University's employees must possess the personal capacities necessary to perform the duties of the position well and to represent the University in the best possible way.
According to the Appointment Rules at Malmö University, the assessment criteria for a position as Associate Senior Lecturer are:
- The quality and focus of the doctoral thesis
- Documented proficiency in independently conducting research of a high quality
- Reflective presentation of their own pedagogical outlook and practices
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate with actors in other parts of society with a connection to education and research
The purpose of a fixed-term employment as an Associate Senior Lecturer is to provide an opportunity to develop oneself both scientifically and pedagogically in the relevant field in order to meet the requirements for eligibility for a position as Senior Lecturer. This career-development position shall initially allow scope for research, but shall also contain opportunities to develop one’s teaching skills. University teaching training shall be included in the scope of the appointment.
The position includes teaching and research in computer science, particularly connected to the field of Game Development.Teaching, including assessments, on Bachelor programs and Master programs is expected, as is supervision of Bachelor and Master level students.Course development may be required as part of the work assignment as well as teaching and assessment in programmingPreparation, teaching, and supporting students in project work and computer labs is required.Teaching and assessment will be done in English
The applicant will conduct and develop research by actively participating in the department's research activities, applying for external research grants and develop national and international collaborations
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: REK 2022/69
You apply for this position via Malmö University's recruitment system by clicking on the "Apply" button. As an applicant, you are responsible for ensuring that your application is completed in accordance with the job advertisement, and that it is submitted to the University no later than 2022-05-06. The application must be written in Swedish, English or any of the Nordic languages. As an applicant, you are responsible for the application and its appendices being translated.
The rules for appointment of teaching staff at Malmö University are regulated in the Appointment Rules at Malmö University.
Merits and qualifications must be documented according to Qualifications portfolio for lecturers/researchers at Malmö University
Books and any other documents, such as publications, that cannot be sent electronically should be sent in triplicate in an envelope marked with reference number REK 2022/69 and posted to the HR Department, Malmö University, 205 06 Malmö. If the documents weigh more than 2 kg, they should be sent to the delivery address: HR Department, Malmö University, Matrosgatan 1, 211 18 Malmö, marked with reference number REK 2022/69.
According to Malmö University’s qualifications portfolio, the application must include:
- Documentation of research expertise
- Documentation of teaching expertise
- Documentation of expertise in engagement with wider society
The application must also include:
- Personal qualifications portfolio (personal data, employment history as well as competencies and skills)
- Copies of degree certificates and other relevant certificates
- A brief account of research, teaching and other activities relevant to the position to which the application pertains, including a description of how the applicant envisions their future research and teaching
- The doctoral thesis
- The primary scientific and educational work to be considered (maximum three of each)
About the Department
The Department of Computer Science and Media Technology offers research-linked education at first-cycle, second-cycle and doctoral levels. The department conducts research in computer science, information systems, software engineering and media technology. We are interested in research and education areas such as artificial intelligence, digital media, e-health, internet of things and game development.
This position as full-time Associate Senior Lecturer is, in accordance to the Higher Education Ordinance, limited for a period of four years, with the possibility of being promoted to a permanent position as Senior Lecturer if the requirements are met.
For promotion to Senior Lecturer in Computer Science: Game development
During the period of employment, an Associate Senior Lecturer can apply for appointment to a permanent position as Senior Lecturer if he or she has the required qualifications listed below, and is deemed to be suitable.
Eligible to be employed as a Senior Lecturer is the person who has:
- A PhD or has the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise that is of value in view of the subject matter of the post and the duties that it will involve.
- Demonstrated teaching expertise
- University teacher training corresponding to at least 15 credits, or corresponding formal university teacher training, which is determined through validation
During the period of employment as an Associate Senior Lecturer, have:
- Planned and conducted research that in quantity and quality shows a significant progression within the specified research area for the service. Special emphasis will be placed on publications, as well as on demonstrated ability to seek external funding in competition
- Demonstrated continued establishment and active participation in the research community
- Demonstrated significant progression in pedagogical skills through varied efforts in education, such as planning, implementation (with different teaching and examination methods). In addition to this, a reflective approach to one's own pedagogical development must be shown
- Documented ability to collaborate with the surrounding society regarding education and research
In addition to the formal competence, the university's employees must have the personal abilities needed to fulfill the employment well and to represent the university in the best way. To be relevant for promotion, it is required that you have shown good ability to collaborate with others, both in research and teaching and in terms of development work and administration
The assessment criteria for appointment as a Senior Lecturer shall be the degree of the expertise required as a qualification for employment. As much attention shall be given to the assessment of teaching expertise as to the assessment of other qualifying criteria (Chapter 4, Section 4 of the Higher Education Ordinance).
A Senior Lecturer must be established within their scientific field, taking into account the nature and tradition of the subject specialisation.
A Senior Lecturer must demonstrate:
- Documented competence in the field
- Documented ability to communicate and collaborate with actors in other parts of society with a clear connection to education and research
Teaching expertise relates to:
- Documented ability to carry out and lead education using various teaching methods within higher education
- Documented experience in pedagogical development work and a reflective presentation of their own pedagogical outlook and practices
- Documented ability to link research and education with regards to both content and teaching
Scientific proficiency relates to:
- Documented ability to independently conduct research of a high quality
- Research within fields relevant to the appointment in question
- Active participation in the scientific community
Malmö University is a workplace and higher education institution that is characterised by an open and inclusive approach, where gender equality and equal terms add value to our activities.
Malmö University applies individual salary setting.
Scroll Down for Content
Acting head of department, Bengt J Nilsson, 040-6657244, [email protected]
HR-specialist, Sara Eriksson, 040-665 76 59, [email protected]
Other Vacancies from this field Computer Science
Scroll Down for Content