The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) invites applications for a position as an Associate professor at the Department of ICT and Natural Sciences (IIR), Norway – May 2022
Scroll Down for Content
Position: Associate Professor
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Artificial Intelligence, Machine learning
Deadline to Apply: Expired
Joining Date: ASAP
Contract Period: Subject to Norms
Salary: According to standard norms
Department of ICT and Natural Sciences (IIR)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway
Scroll Down for Content
Associate professor (Førsteamanuensis):
You must have the qualifications required for the position of associate professor in the field of Artificial Intelligence, as outlined in the regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts
- Your PhD, or comparable academic work, must be within the field of Artificial Intelligence / machine Learning (or a comparable relevant field)
- If you can document that you are in the final stages of your PhD studies, your application may also be considered
- Experience with research in the field of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Oral and written abilities in English
Applicable to all:
You must document relevant basic competence in teaching and supervision at a university/higher education-level, as referenced in the Norwegian national Regulations. If this cannot be documented, you will be required to complete an approved course in university pedagogy within two years of commencement. NTNU offers qualifying courses.
New employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language by appointment is required, within three years, to demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three of the course for Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
- Teaching experience from higher education
- Experience with research presentations
- Experience with aquisition, storing and handling of data
- Capabilities and experience with several programming languages, frameworks and libraries used for machine learning
- Work with governmental financing of research- and development projects in Norway and EU
- Experience in building and maintaining network of people
- Knowledge of research ethics
- Establishes credibility; addresses challenges convincingly, and conveys energy in interactions with others
- Able to work independently
- Develops effective, sensible and practical solutions to problems
This position is associated with the AI-node, which is a collaboration with the Norwegian Open AI Lab (NAIL) You will participate in research activities related to Norwegian Open AI Lab in Trondheim, activities at AI-node in Ålesund and at the Department of ICT and Natural Sciences. Candidates are expected to have experience in research activities within Artificial Intelligence, machine Learning with associated topics. We are looking for a researcher that can create new activities through networking with people internally and externally.
In this position there is a good opportunity to work on problem solving defined in cooperation with NAIL partners within companies and public sectors. The researcher will contribute to enhance NAIL, and in particular the AI node in Ålesund. The first three years of work will be to create a research portfolio. After this period, it is expected to contribute to the Department of ICT and Natural Sciences with lecturing.
You will report to Head of Department ICT and Natural Sciences.
- Plan, coordinate and conduct research- and development activities within NAIL research areas. The work will be in close cooperation with local academic personnel in the department and NAIL
- Prepare research applications and other applications in cooperation with academic personnel and management
- Convey knowledge within artificial intelligence, with respect to research results from NAIL with cooperating partners
- Establish network of companies related to our AI node in Ålesund
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: -
You can find more information about working at NTNU and the application process here.
Your application and supporting documentation must be in English or Norwegian.
Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
Your application must include:
- CV, diplomas, and certificates
- A teaching portfolio, in which your teaching competence is compiled and presented systematically, (See guidelines for applicants: Documentation of teaching qualifications in applications and appointments to academic positions at NTNU)
- Academic works – published or unpublished – that you wish to be considered during assessment of your application
- A description of the scientific/artistic works you consider most relevant, which you particularly wish to be factored into the assessment
- A list of your previous works, with details on where they have been published
- A research plan
- Details of projects for which you have served as project manager, including information on financing, duration, and scope
- Names and contact information for three relevant referees
Joint work will also be considered. If it is difficult to identify your specific input to a joint project, you must include evidence of your contributions.
While considering the best-qualified applicants, we will pay particular attention to personal qualities, your motivation for applying for the position, and your pedagogical skills and qualifications. Our assessment will be based on documented pedagogical material, forms of presentation in your academic works, teaching experience, PhD, and Masters supervision, and any other relevant pedagogical background. Both quality and scope will be taken into consideration.
NTNU is obliged by the evaluation criteria for research quality in accordance with The San Fransisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA. This means that we will pay particular attention to the quality and academic range demonstrated by your scientific work to date. We will also pay attention to research leadership and participation in research projects. Your scientific work from the last five years will be given the most weight.
Your application will be considered by a committee of experts. Candidates of interest will be invited to a trial lesson and an interview.
About the Department
Department of ICT and Natural Sciences
Our campus in Ålesund works in a partnership with industry that is in a class of its own among Norwegian universities. This ensures a practical focus for our study programmes, while they are firmly anchored in modern theory. The Department offers programmes in automation engineering, computer engineering, electric power systems, simulation and visualization. Our research areas include autonomous vessels, robotics, cybernetics, medical technology and health informatics, and artificial intelligence. The Department of ICT and Natural Sciences is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
- Exciting and challenging tasks in a strong international academic environment
- An open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- Favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Employee benefits
Salary and conditions
In this position you will typically receive a gross salary according to the Associate professor (Førsteamanuensis) code 1011, depending on qualifications and seniority. As required by law, 2% of this salary will be deducted and paid into the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
Employment will be granted in accordance with the principles outlined in the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. Applicants should be aware that there may be changes in the working environment after employment has commenced.
It is a prerequisite that you are able to be present and accessible at the institution daily.
NTNUs personell policy emphasizes the importance of equality and diversity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, disability, or cultural background. NTNU is working actively to increase the number of women employed in scientific positions, and has a number of resources to promote equality.
The city of Ålesund, with its population of 50 000, will provide you with plenty of opportunities to explore a region of Norway that is famous for its beautiful scenery with high mountains and blue fjords. Ålesund itself, with its Art Nouveau architecture, is by many considered to be the most beautiful city in Norway! The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world.
As an employee at NTNU, you must continually maintain and improve your professional development and be flexible regarding any organizational changes.
In accordance with public law your name, age, job title, and county of residence may be made available to the public even if you have requested not to appear on the public list of applicants. For the sake of transparency, candidates will be given the expert evaluation of their own and other candidates. As an applicant you are considered part of the process and is stipulated to rules of confidentiality.
The application and all attachments should be submitted electronically via jobbnorge.no.
Scroll Down for Content
If you have any questions regarding the position, please contact Rune Volden, tel: +47-92887753, e-mail: [email protected] If you have questions regarding the recruitment process, please contact Maren Skuterud Rasmussen, e-mail: [email protected]
Other Vacancies from this field Science and Technology
Scroll Down for Content