Associate Professor Job in Biochemical Engineering with focus on Recirculating Aquaculture Systems is available for biochemical engineering, biotechnology, environmental engineering, environmental microbiology, aquaculture or a closely related field.at the Department of Biotechnology and Food Science, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway 2022
Scroll Down for Content
Position: Associate Professor
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Aquaculture, Biochemical Engineering, Biotechnology, Environmental Biology, Environmental Engineering
Deadline to Apply: Expired
Joining Date: ASAP
Contract Period: 5 Years
Salary: According to standard norms
Department of Biotechnology and Food Science
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway
Scroll Down for Content
You must have the qualifications required for the position as associate professor in the field of Recirculating Aquaculture Systems, as outlined in the regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts
- Your PhD, or comparable academic work, must be within biochemical engineering, biotechnology, environmental engineering, environmental microbiology, aquaculture or a closely related field.
- Documented experience with one or more of the following fields: biological water treatment, open system bioreactors/bioprocesses, biological water treatment in RAS.
- You must have relevant research experience in addition to your PhD.
You must document relevant basic competence in teaching and supervision at a university/higher education-level, as referenced in the Norwegian national Regulations. If this cannot be documented, you will be required to complete an approved course in university pedagogy within two years of commencement. NTNU offers qualifying courses.
New employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language by appointment is required, within three years, to demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three of the course for Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
- Research experience related to understanding and managing water quality in RAS
- Teaching experience from higher education
- Experience in research collaboration between academia/research institutes and industry
- Experience with attracting external funding from national and/or international funding agencies
- An existing network with academia and Norwegian aquaculture industry and ability to collaborate across institutions
- Teamwork skills
- Communication skills
- Interest in multidisciplinary activities
At Department of Biotechnology and Food Science there is a vacancy for a permanent position as Associate Professor in biochemical or environmental engineering with focus on biological water treatment in Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS). During the first five years the position is financed by nine companies in the aquaculture industry.
The hired person will be part of division “Analysis and Control of Microbial Systems” (ACMS). Important research topics in this group are environmental biotechnology and microbial ecology, with a particular focus on biological water treatment, microbial processes in aquaculture systems, and microbe – host interactions. By combining environmental biotechnology and microbial ecology, we have successfully contributed to the development of knowledge-based management of engineered ecosystems. Our research on fish – microbe interactions and on microbial ecology/microbial management in aquaculture systems has been particularly recognized. We aim at improving the mechanistic understanding and the potential for predicting and managing microbial communities in applied and engineered systems, and we are seeking the person who will see great opportunities in contributing to reach this aim. The successful candidate for this position will have an important role in contributing to and expanding the ongoing research on RAS in the ACMS group and should contribute to developing interdisciplinary collaborations within and outside the research group.
The hired person will be responsible for research, teaching and supervision in the field of Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS), with focus on biological water treatment, microbial processes, and chemical and microbial water quality. He/she is expected to develop research collaboration with the aquaculture industry and to contribute to and expand the ongoing research in the ACMS group. (www.ntnu.edu/ibt/research/acms#/view/about).
Other responsibilities are:
- Coordination of activities related to RAS at NTNU - across departments and faculties, within the framework of the Strategic Research Areas “NTNU Oceans” (ntnu.edu/oceans).
- Lead a dialog forum with participants from NTNU and the companies financing the position
- Initiate new research programs and engage extensively in applications for external funding from e.g., the Research Council of Norway, European research and educational agencies, the industry sector, and other available resources
- We strongly encourage candidates with ambitions to apply for ERC-SG or ERC-CG grants.
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: -
Your application and supporting documentation must be in English.
Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
Your application must include:
- CV, diplomas, and certificates
- A teaching portfolio, in which your teaching competence is compiled and presented systematically, (See guidelines for applicants: Documentation of teaching qualifications in applications and appointments to academic positions at NTNU)
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description of the academic/artistic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be considered in the assessment
- A list of your previous works, with details on where they have been published
- A research plan
- Details of projects for which you have served as project manager, including information on financing, duration, and scope
- Name and address of three referees
Joint work will also be considered. If it is difficult to identify your specific input to a joint project, you must include evidence of your contributions.
While considering the best-qualified applicants, we will pay particular attention to personal qualities, your motivation for applying for the position, and your pedagogical skills and qualifications. Our assessment will be based on documented pedagogical material, forms of presentation in your academic works, teaching experience, PhD, and Masters supervision, and any other relevant pedagogical background. Both quality and scope will be taken into consideration.
NTNU is obliged by the evaluation criteria for research quality in accordance with The San Fransisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA. This means that we will pay particular attention to the quality and academic range demonstrated by your scientific work to date. We will also pay attention to research leadership and participation in research projects. Your scientific work from the last five years will be given the most weight.
Your application will be considered by a committee of experts. Candidates of interest will be invited to a trial lesson and an interview.
About the Department/Section/Group
The Department of Biotechnology and Food science has a national role and responsibility for research and teaching in biotechnology and food science, and a wide range of expertise. We have a special responsibility of teaching in the disciplines of biochemistry and microbiology. The scientific activity is organized in the four main areas of Biopolymers and Biomaterials, Food Science, Microbial Biotechnology, and Analysis and Control of Microbial Systems. The department focuses on developing integrated research and teaching divisions where researchers and lecturers within related fields can establish strong units. The Department of Biotechnology and Food Science hosts the national center for biotechnology training, research and innovation: Center for Digital Life Norway.
The employed candidate will report to the Head of Department.
Department of Biotechnology and Food Science
Our activities contribute to increased exploitation of existing and new ingredients for sustainable food production as well as next-generation energy solutions and medical technology. We educate graduates for a wide range of careers in industry, public administration and academia. The Department of Biotechnology and Food Science is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Natural Sciences.
Note or Other details
- exciting and challenging tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
In a position as Associate Professor (code 1011) you will normally be remunerated according to the Basic Agreement for the Civil Service. As required by law, 2% of this salary will be deducted and paid into the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
Employment will be granted in accordance with the principles outlined in the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. Applicants should be aware that there may be changes in the working environment after employment has commenced.
It is a prerequisite that you are able to be present and accessible at the institution daily.
NTNUs personell policy emphasizes the importance of equality and diversity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, disability, or cultural background. NTNU is working actively to increase the number of women employed in scientific positions, and has a number of resources to promote equality.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must continually maintain and improve your professional development and be flexible regarding any organizational changes.
In accordance with public law your name, age, job title, and county of residence may be made available to the public even if you have requested not to appear on the public list of applicants. For the sake of transparency, candidates will be given the expert evaluation of their own and other candidates. As an applicant you are considered part of the process and is stipulated to rules of confidentiality.
The application and all attachments should be submitted electronically via jobbnorge.no. If you are invited for an interview, you must bring with you certified copies of all certificates and diplomas.
Scroll Down for Content
If you have any questions regarding the position, please contact Professor Olav Vadstein,
e-mail [email protected]. If you have questions regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR adviser, e-mail [email protected]
Scroll Down for Content