University of Stavanger invites applicants for a position as Associate Professor in Economics at the Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Social Studies, at Norway – 2022
Scroll Down for Content
Position: Associate Professor
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Economics
Deadline to Apply: Expired
Joining Date: ASAP
Contract Period: Permanent
Salary: 600.000-700.000 NOK/Year
Scroll Down for Content
We are seeking an Associate Professor with a PhD or equivalent qualification in the field of Economics or another relevant subject area. Solid knowledge of the Norwegian welfare system is a precondition.
You must be able to document active, ongoing research at a high academic level and have the potential for future high-level research with in the subject area.
It is expected that you have a reflective and conscientious attitude towards your own teaching and supervision. You must be able to document pedagogical and didactic skills relating to higher education, and basic skills in planning, evaluation and development of teaching and supervision. If you do not meet these competence requirements you must complete a university pedagogy course within a period of two years from the accession date. The course will be provided by the university.
The working and teaching languages are both Norwegian and English at he University, but the main working language is Norwegian. It is therefore expected that you can teach and supervise in Norwegian (equivalent to level B2), or in another Scandinavian language, within a period of three years from accession. You will be offered a Norwegian language course paid for by the university if needed.
In the absence of applicants with sufficient scientific expertise, the university may consider temporarily employment for up to three years, during which time you will aspire to gain the qualifications necessary for a permanent position. You must be considered achieving the necessary qualifications during the period of employment.
The following attributes are also desirable
- ability to involve and engage students in teaching where the teaching outcomes, teaching content and assessment methods are closely interlinked
- experience and/or interest in the development of varied learning methods and digital tools in teaching
- research results published in recognised publications, and references indicating progression in research and publications
- ability to initiate, obtain external funding for, lead and carry out research and development projects
- experience of partnerships with businesses relevant to the subject area
- contributed to the use of research-based knowledge in society and that you can refer to results from innovation and the commercialization of research
- demonstrated the ability to build and preserve professional networks - regionally, nationally and internationally
- ability to manage heavy workload, inquisitiveness and motivation to contribute to the development of academic and interdisciplinary collaboration at the university
- good teamwork and communication skills, and ability to contribute to a constructive working environment
The subject area for the position is Economics with an emphasis on welfare economics.
The hired candidate will primarily teach and supervise students at bachelor's, master's and PhD level within the department´s degrees in social studies, conduct research and disseminate research results within relevant research areas at the department, and contribute to the development of partnerships with business.
The development/use of digital and diverse learning methods, innovation, value creation based on results from research, and academic development work, will be included in the position.
The general job description for Associate Professors at UiS gives a more detailed account of relevant duties.
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: -
Your application letter, relevant education and work experience as well as language skills must be registered here. In the application letter, you must state your competence and motivation for the position.
The following documents must be uploaded as attachments to your application:
- CV with a full summary of your education and experience
- a pedagogical portfolio with a professionally based description and discussion of your teaching and educational competence as well as relevant documentation that supports this, see guidelines for assessment of educational competence
- complete list of academic publications with information on where they are published
- up to 10 academic publications which are pivotal to your research output, including your PhD thesis or published monograph based upon the thesis
- transcripts and certificates, and other documentation that you consider relevant
Applications are evaluated based on the information available in Jobbnorge on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The documentation must be available in either a Scandinavian language or in English. If the total size of the attachments exceeds 30 MB, they must be compressed before upload.
Please note that information on applicants may be published even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the official list of applicants, in accordance with Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act. If your request is not granted, you will be notified.
About the Department/Section/Group
The Faculty of Social Sciences has about 2,400 students and 210 employees. The studies are based on a combination of theoretical and practical knowledge, on interdisciplinarity and cooperation with public and private sectors. New knowledge is generated from both practical experience and systematic research, or a combination of them. The educational offer is varied and includes Hospitality and Tourism, Media, Sociology, Social Work and Child Welfare, amongst others. The Faculty consists of: Department of Media and Social Sciences, Department of Social Studies and the Norwegian School of Hotel Management.
Note or Other details
- varied duties in a large, exciting and socially important organisation
- an ambitious work community which is developing rapidly. We strive to include employees at all levels in strategic decisions and promote an informal atmosphere with a flat organisational structure.
- good development opportunities, associate professor is encouraged for further qualification with a view to promotion to professor
- colleague-based guidance programme during your first year of teaching at UiS, NyTi.
- salary in accordance with the State Salary Scale, l.pl 17.510, code 1011, NOK 600.000-700.000 gross per year. A higher salary may be considered in special cases. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- automatic membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund, which provides favourable insurance- and retirement benefits
- favourable membership terms at a gym and at the company sports club, SiS sportssenter
- employment with an Inclusive Workplace organisation which is committed to reducing sick leave, increasing the proportion of employees with reduced working capacity, and increasing the number of professionally active seniors
- Hjem-jobb-hjem, discounted public transport to and from work
- as an employee in Norway, you will have access to an optimal health service, as well as good pensions, generous maternity/paternity leave, and a competitive salary. Nursery places are guaranteed and reasonably priced
- relocation programme
- language courses: Look up “language courses” under employment conditions
Scroll Down for Content
More information on the position can be obtained from Head of Department Morten Tønnessen, tel: 5183 4149, e-mail: [email protected]
Information about the appointment procedure can be obtained from HR-advisor Christina Storm, tlf: 51 83 17 53, email: [email protected]
Other Vacancies from this field Social Science and Humanities
Scroll Down for Content