The Department of Communication Science invites applications for an Associate Professor in Persuasive Communication at University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2022
Scroll Down for Content
Position: Associate Professor
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Communication Studies
Deadline to Apply: Expired
Joining Date: Aug 15, 2022
Contract Period: 1.5 Years
Salary: 5,294 to 7,079 Euro/Month
Scroll Down for Content
The job profile is UHD (universitair hoofddocent) based on the university job ranking system.
You act with attention to quality, integrity and creativity, and:
- have extensive experience with teaching, coordinating, and developing or improving substantial courses on topics that fit the program group Persuasive Communication;
- have a university teaching qualification (BKO) or an international equivalent;
- have developed a strong empirical-analytical line of research that fits well with and adds to the profile of the program group and the ASCoR research program as evidenced in a strong track record of publications in prominent communication science journals or journals from related disciplines;
- your profile becomes more competitive if you can demonstrate experience in working with computational and digital methods in teaching or research;
- have successfully received 2nd or 3rd financial resources and demonstrated qualities to apply for competitive grants;
- have the demonstrated qualities and plans to contribute to relevant social or scientific impact activities;
- is visible in the social debate and cooperates successfully with civil society organizations;
- are an active member of the (international) Communication Science community or related communities;
- have experience with coaching and supervising more junior colleagues;
- have completed (co) supervision of at least 1 PhD candidate with a good final result;
- have strong social skills and are a good team worker;
- have demonstrated experience with enthusiastically carrying out service and coordination tasks for the benefit of a program group or department;
- you are not afraid to roll up your sleeves. At times when your work asks a lot of energy, you can motivate both yourself and others to go that extra mile;
- you enjoy being involved in the work of colleagues and are willing to take on a leading role;
- have the capacities to take a leading role in further development of research and teaching and to fulfil administrative tasks;
- have the ability to proactively initiate and carry out ideas to further build the persuasive communication group;
- are a 'good citizen' in the persuasive communication group and the department and act with the best interest of the program group in mind;
- have the ambition to develop yourself into senior management roles in the department.
As an Associate Professor in Persuasive Communication, you:
- teach and coordinate regular courses in the programmes of the Bachelor and Master communication science in Dutch and/or English, including substantive theoretical coursework and statistical/methodological coursework, depending on educational demand;
- supervise and evaluate Bachelor theses, Master theses and internships;
- conduct and supervise research on Persuasive Communication within the ASCoR research program;
- take part in outreach and impact activities;
- contribute to and lead applications for external funding;
- perform management tasks and participate in committees, groups and projects in the program group Persuasive Communication.
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: 8618
Interviews take place on 20 May in the morning.
Applications in .pdf should include:
- a curriculum vitae;
- a letter of motivation.
About the Department/Section/Group
The Persuasive Communication research group aims at studying factors that explain the development, reach, processing and effects of professional and consumer-generated messages in marketing- and health communication. We study how people use communication to fulfil their needs in commerce and health, how companies, providers and consumers communicate, and how this influences their attitudes, cognitions and behavior. Our work fits within the ASCoR Research programme. A key aspect in much of ASCoR’s (and PersCom’s) research is the positive and negative consequences of digitalization on individuals.
Courses we teach in the Master’s are the specialization seminars marketing communication and health communication, and electives like brand communication, digital analytics, persuasion & resistance, and brands and organizations on social media. In the Bachelor, we teach the domain module persuasive communication, elective courses about algorithmic persuasion, health communication and content marketing, and graduation projects in which students write their Bachelor thesis.
Within the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, Communication Science offers a Bachelor's and several Master’s degree programmes. With more than 2,400 undergraduate and graduate students, Communication Science is among the largest departments at the University of Amsterdam with an outstanding international reputation. The College of Communication and the Graduate School of Communication offer a Bachelor and Master program, a European joint degree program in Journalism and a Research Master, the only of its kind in the Netherlands. The teaching in our Communication Science program is interdisciplinary and internationally oriented, offering tracks taught in both English and Dutch. The Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR) is the research institute for the Communication Science department, and formulated an ambitious Research programme. The Department is the home of the Communication and Digital Society Initiative and it participates in several of the University and Faculty Research Priority Areas.
Note or Other details
We offer a temporary full-time or part-time contract for the period of 1.5 years. For internal candidates the contract will be for the period of 1 year.
Preferred starting date is 15 August 2022. Contingent upon positive evaluation and satisfactory performance, you will be offered a permanent contract.
The gross monthly salary based on full-time employment (38 hours per week) ranges from €5,294 up to a maximum of €7,079 (salary scale 13/till scale 14). This is exclusive 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus. The starting salary will be based on qualifications, expertise and relevant experience. The profile associate professor is applicable in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities.
The UvA offers excellent possibilities for further professional development and education.
What else do we offer
- A position in which initiative and input are highly valued.
- An enthusiastic and warm department that is open to new colleagues.
- A stimulating research environment, in one of the leading departments in media and communication worldwide.
- Teaching in diverse, multicultural, and engaged cohorts of students.
- An inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
- Access to some research funds to conduct studies and attend international conferences.
Scroll Down for Content
- dr. Hilde Voorveld, program group leader Persuasive Communication
- E: [email protected]
Other Vacancies from this field Social Science and Humanities
Scroll Down for Content