Assistant professors Job is available for doctoral degree candidates in Statistics at Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Statistics group, Eindhoven University, Netherlands 2022
Position: Assistant Professor
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Statistics
Joining Date: ASAP
Contract Period: Subject to Norms
Salary: Subject to norms
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Eindhoven University of Technology
- Motivated researcher, with a PhD in statistics or mathematics or, a comparable domain.
- 2+ years of research experience after the acquisition of the PhD degree (e.g., a postdoc) and international experience.
- Ability to conduct high quality academic research and have a strong affinity with real-world applications.
- Ability to teach, shown by experience or assistance in teaching. Informed vision on educational methods and learning objectives in your own discipline.
- Candidates are expected to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) degree within the first three years of employment (in case the candidate has not yet obtained this degree).
- Strong cooperation skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Effective communication and leadership skills, including coaching and mentoring of students and staff, leading a project or chairing a group.
- Excellent proficiency (written and verbal) in English. The official language of the TU/e is English, therefore knowledge of Dutch is not required. However, employees are encouraged and supported in their efforts to learn Dutch.
The Statistics, Probability and Operations Research (SPOR) cluster of the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) intends to fill two full-time tenure-track positions for assistant professors in Statistics.
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science is one of the largest of the Eindhoven University of Technology. The department operates from the vision that, for the development of innovative solutions to societal challenges it is crucial to acquire a deep and solid understanding of the fundamentals of mathematics and computer science, while still embedding this knowledge in challenging application areas. SPOR is one of the clusters within the domain of mathematics and conducts theoretical and applied research in statistics, probability theory, operations research, and combinatorial optimization. The SPOR cluster is a vibrant research environment with an excellent collaborative spirit within and between subdisciplines. In addition, the cluster is strongly intertwined with EURANDOM, the European institute for research in Statistics, Probability and Stochastic Operations Research. EURANDOM is a workshop and visitor center that exists since 1998 and is part of the cluster.
The department provides highly-ranked bachelor and master-level programs in mathematics, computer science and data science. In addition, it is a key player in the Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS), i.e., a unique collaboration between universities and other institutions that offers educational data science programs from bachelor to PDEng level. In fact, the Industrial and Applied Mathematics program won the prestigious 2022 UPS George Smith Prize, a world-wide recognition acknowledging its excellence in preparing students to become practitioners in industrial and applied mathematics. In addition to its educational role, the department conducts pioneering scientific research in mathematics, data science, and computer science.
The statistics group is part of the SPOR cluster, and it is organized around three main pillars: mathematical statistics, industrial statistics, and biostatistics. The group conducts fundamental research related to real-world or societal problems. The two pillars biostatistics and industrial statistics directly support (the research of) two application domains: life sciences and high-tech industry. The mathematical statistics pillar focuses on more foundational research in connection with the applied disciplines. In addition, the statistics group works in close connection with the Teaching & Research Institute for Data Science Analytics (TRI-DSA), focusing on education of professionals and implementation science, where new data science approaches are developed, modified, and validated, such that they are suitable for the specific applications.
The statistics group has a vacancy for two tenure-track assistant professors. In such a role, you are expected to perform research that complements and aligns with research of the statistics group, to help build and strengthen the team. You will contribute to the research themes within the statistics group (SPOR cluster at large) by developing novel complementary research lines and strengthening existing ones. You are also expected to play a strong role in the unique joint research and education programs of both the TU/e and the data science initiative of Eindhoven University of Technology and Tilburg University (JADS: https://www.jads.nl/), where you will work with students from different backgrounds (mathematics, computer science, data science, and other engineers). Limited administrative tasks in the Department will also be part of the job.
- Tenure Track Assistant Professorship in Sustainable Consumer Behavior – CBS, Sep 2022
- DTU Tenure Track Associate Professors or Assistant Professors in IC Design – Sep 2022
- Assistant Professor in Urban Design – Transformation and Mobilities (UTM) – Aalborg University, Denmark, 2022
- Assistant professor or Postdoctoral researcher in ancient human genomics – UCPH, Sep 2022
- Assistant Professor in Artificial Intelligence on Biomechanics and robotics at Twente, Netherlands, Sep 2022
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: V32.5731
The application should include a:
- Cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of your publications and the contact information ofthree references.
- List of five self-selected ‘best publications’.
- Research statement describing your scientific interests and plans (1-2 pages).
- Teaching statement describing your teaching goals and experience (1-2 pages),
It is preferred that the research and teaching statements relate to the university strategy.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary, please combine files.
We look forward to your application and will screen it as soon as we have received it. Screening will continue until the position has been filled.
About the Department/Section/Group
About the Employer: Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), the Netherlands
Note or Other details
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university and a stimulating research environment.
- A Tenure Track of five years. After a maximum of four years the tenure decision will be made, which may include a development path towards becoming an associate professor. If you have a more senior profile, a tailor-made career proposal will be considered.
- You will have free access to high-quality training programs for academic leadership, the university teaching qualification program, research and valorization competences, and a dedicated mentoring program to support your personal development in the university and the Dutch (research) environment.
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary.
- A broad package of fringe benefits, including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, and savings schemes.
- Family-friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile and would you like to know more? For information about the statistics group, please contact prof.dr. E.R. van den Heuvel ([email protected]), dr. A. Di Bucchianico ([email protected]) or dr. R.M. Castro ([email protected]) .
Advertisement Details: Assistant professors in Statistics