Assistant Professor Job in Sociology (Health and Gender) / Interdisciplinary Social Sciences is available for doctoral degree candidates in sociology at the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands 2022
Scroll Down for Content
Position: Assistant Professor
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Sociology
Deadline to Apply: Expired
Joining Date: ASAP
Contract Period: Subject to Norms
Salary: €3,821 and €5,230/month
Scroll Down for Content
- a PhD degree in sociology or one of the other disciplines in Interdisciplinary Social Sciences;
- an interdisciplinary profile and experience with interdisciplinary research;
- experience with transdisciplinary teaching, or the willingness to develop this;
- a proven record of high-quality teaching; experience or affinity with an international, diverse classroom; you are passionate about teaching and committed to teaching general and specialist courses in the BSc Interdisciplinary Social Sciences and MSc or Research Master Programs of the Graduate School of Social Sciences;
- a demonstrable program in empirical research related on Health, Gender and Sexuality, related to the Sociology group’s profile exemplified in journal articles, book publications or other forms of scholarly output;
- the potential to acquire research funding from external sources;
- fluency in Dutch and English (you are able to teach and grade in both Dutch and English).
- a good team player and networker, and are able to navigate and connect different constituencies (the teaching team, the program group, different departments);
- in possession of the Dutch Basic Teaching Qualification or Senior Teaching Qualification (or foreign equivalents), or willing to acquire such a qualification in the short term.
The Bachelor Programme Interdisciplinary Social Sciences and the Department of Sociology are looking for an Assistant Professor of Sociology specialized in Health, Gender and Sexuality. You will become a member of the Political Sociology Programme Group.
Interdisciplinary Social Sciences is a rapidly growing and innovative Bachelor programme. In this programme students learn to integrate insights from five disciplines in the social sciences: sociology, political science, psychology, anthropology and geography. The aim of the programme is to form professionals able to analyze and address complex societal challenges. To this end the programme has developed learning trajectories on methodology, interdisciplinarity and transdisciplinarity. In the latter we cooperate with societal partners.
Interdisciplinary Social Sciences is a programme taught in Dutch.
We are looking for an assistant professor who can undertake teaching and research both on Health and on Gender and Sexuality.
What are you going to do
As assistant professor you combine teaching (60% of your time) and research (40% of your time).
You will mainly teach in the Bachelor programme Interdisciplinary Social Sciences. You will play a role in the minor Global Health, Care and Society. Within this minor you will undertake important tasks, such as transforming the introductory course on health into a course in which gender is also addressed. You will supervise Bachelor theses on Health and/or Gender & Sexuality. Other possible courses you might teach are Onderzoeksmethoden 2 or Academische Vaardigheden.
Being responsible for a course implies developing and implementing the teaching (lectures and seminars), but also providing guidance for, and leading, a team of up to 13 junior lecturers who do most of the seminar teaching in the courses. You will play a role in curriculum development and perform management tasks in, for example, the Programme Committee or Exam board. In addition to your teaching in the Bachelor Interdisciplinary Social Sciences you will also teach in one of the Master programmes of the Graduate School Social Sciences.
You will develop your research profile through innovative research, high quality publications and collaboration with different (non) academic parties. You will become part of and will be supported by the Political Sociology programme group. This programme group has a strong track record of research on health and health care, and on gender and sexuality.
Members of the programme group are active in different interdisciplinary research networks, such as the Amsterdam Research Centre for Gender and Sexuality, the interfaculty research priority areas Personal Microbiome Health and Urban Mental Health, Sarphati Amsterdam and various international research projects. We expect you to play an active role in these kinds of collaborations, both intellectually and in management. We furthermore consider it of high importance that you are willing to take part in committees or other kinds of activities in support of the organization (good citizenship).
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: 8698
The application should include the following material bundled in one single .pdf:
- a letter of motivation;
- a teaching statement (1 page), in which you also reflect on how you handle diversity issues – in the broadest sense – in the classroom;
- a research statement (1 page) outlining your research achievements and plans;
- your curriculum vitae including a list of publications;
- one published research article or book chapter which is representative of your current work;
- your letter of motivation and/or teaching statement should include concrete examples which evidence your capacity to teach and grade in Dutch;
- the contact details of two academic references (no letters of recommendation are required at this time).
About the Department/Section/Group
Note or Other details
We offer permanent employment upon a satisfactory evaluation following a temporary employment contract of a maximum of 18 months with a probationary period of two months. If you already have (had) an employment contract with the UvA, we offer permanent employment upon a satisfactory evaluation following a temporary employment contract of a maximum of 12 months. The employment contract will be for 30,4 -38 hours per week (either 0.8FTE – 1.0 FTE). Preferred starting date is 1 September 2022.
For this position the University Job Classification profile 'Universitair Docent 2' applies. Depending on relevant experience the gross monthly salary, based on fulltime employment of 38 hours per week, ranges between €3,821 and €5,230, in keeping with salary scale 11, as per the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities. We additionally offer an extensive package of secondary benefits, including 8% holiday allowance and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
We will put together a curriculum which will also include the opportunity to attend training courses and both national and international events. The UvA offers excellent possibilities for further professional development and education.
What else do we offer
- A broad department passionate for understanding social life using a diverse set of empirical methods and philosophies of social science;
- connection to the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR), that stimulates interdisciplinary research in the social sciences;
- a job on the vibrant Roeterseiland Campus in a modern building in the heart of the city of Amsterdam.
Scroll Down for Content
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Dr. Patrick Brown (for questions on the Political Sociology Programme Group and Research);
- Dr Michaela Hordijk (for questions on Interdisciplinary Social Sciences and Teaching).
Other Vacancies from this field Social Science and Humanities
Scroll Down for Content