The University of Amsterdam invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Anthropology with a specialization in the anthropology of race and postcoloniality, the anthropology of health, care and the body, anthropology of reproduction, and/or medical anthropology at the Department of Anthropology, the Netherlands – May 2022
Scroll Down for Content
Position: Assistant Professor
No. of Positions: 1
Research Field: Anthropology
Deadline to Apply: Expired
Joining Date: Sep 01, 2022
Contract Period: 18 Months
Salary: 3,821 EURO/Month
Scroll Down for Content
- a PhD degree and preferably experience as a postdoctoral researcher or junior faculty member;
- general knowledge of the field of anthropology and affinity with debates on race, racism and decoloniality;
- a proven record of high-quality teaching at BSc and/or MSc level, and a strong commitment to teaching;
- a strong track record in ethnographic research;
- the ability to acquire research funding from external sources (e.g. Netherlands’ Organization for Scientific Research, the European Research Council, or other research councils, European Union, or other national and international funding agencies);
- the willingness to develop expertise in one of the following areas which are important for our teaching programs: material semiotics and STS, race and postcolonial/decolonial theory, mental health, applied anthropology or other specializations within the broader anthropology of the body;
- a commitment to supervise PhD students;
- a commitment to public anthropological engagement with non-academic actors;
- the Dutch Basic Teaching Qualification or Senior Teaching Qualification (or foreign equivalents), or the willingness to acquire such a qualification on the short term;
- excellent knowledge of spoken and written English;
- working proficiency in the Dutch language or the willingness to develop it within the first two years of employment.
We especially welcome applications from scholars with a minority background and/or from the global south.
- creative and innovative in your work;
- intellectually curious and eager to learn;
- willing and able to carry out administrative tasks.
The Department of Anthropology is one of the largest departments of anthropology in Europe with an excellent reputation in both research and teaching. The Department currently has an opening for an assistant professor of Anthropology with a specialization in the anthropology of race and postcoloniality, the anthropology of health, care and the body, anthropology of reproduction, and/or medical anthropology. This position is embedded in the programme group Health, Care and the Body.
What are you going to do
As assistant professor and member of the department you will:
- contribute to the broad and diverse teaching and research profile of anthropology in Amsterdam through participation in the educational programs and by publishing and participating in international research networks;
- develop and coordinate courses at BSc and MSc level in the general field of anthropology, and in particular in the anthropology of race and postcoloniality, the anthropology of health, care and the body, anthropology of reproduction, and/or medical anthropology;
- teach general, specialist and methodological courses in the BSc, MSc, Research Master’s and PhD-programmes of our department, and supervising undergraduate and graduate students;
- develop, carry out and supervise anthropological research at a high academic level, develop a line of research in collaboration with staff members and other researchers working at the department;
- acquire and help to acquire external funding for research (also alongside junior researchers);
- engage in activities in the public sphere and in other arenas outside academia;
- carry out administrative tasks;
- contribute to a fair and collegial working atmosphere in the department.
How to Apply?
Application Method: Online Application
Ref. No.: 8800
Do you recognize yourself in the job profile? If so, we look forward to receiving your application by 15 May 2022. You may apply online by using the link below.
Applications should include the following material bundled in a single .pdf (not zipped):
- a concise statement of motivation (800 words max.);
- a full academic Curriculum Vitae, including a list of publications;
- a statement outlining your research plans (500 words max.);
- contact information for two academic references (no letters of recommendation).
We will invite potential candidates for interviews within two weeks after the closing date.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
If you encounter Error GBB451, reach out to our HR Department directly. They will gladly help you continue your application.
About the Department/Section/Group
The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG) is the largest social-science educational and research institution in the Netherlands. The Department of Anthropology is one of the Departments in the FMG. Research and education are carried out by special institutes. The College of Social Sciences and the Graduate School for the Social Sciences are responsible for the undergraduate and graduate teaching programmes in the social sciences. Research takes place under the aegis of the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR), a multidisciplinary research institute, the biggest one of its kind in the Netherlands and possibly in Europe. The broad scope and pluralism of our education and research programmes are inspired by and reflect a strong degree of internationalisation.
Want to know more about our organisation? Read more about working at the University of Amsterdam.
Note or Other details
We offer permanent employment upon a satisfactory evaluation following a temporary employment contract of a maximum of 18 months with a probationary period of two months. If you already have (had) an employment contract with the UvA, we offer permanent employment upon a satisfactory evaluation following a temporary employment contract of a maximum of 12 months. The employment contract will be for 38 hours per week. Preferred starting date is 1 September 2022.
For this position the University Job Classification profile 'Universitair Docent 2' applies. Depending on relevant work experience the gross monthly salary, based on fulltime employment of 38 hours per week, ranges between €3,821 and €5,230, in keeping with salary scale 11, as per the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities. We additionally offer an extensive package of secondary benefits, including a 8% holiday allowance and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
We will put together a curriculum which will also include the opportunity to attend training courses and both national and international events. The UvA offers excellent possibilities for further professional development and education.
What else do we offer
- a position in which initiative and input are highly valued;
- an enthusiastic and warm team that is open to new colleagues;
- an inspiring academic and international working environment in the heart of Amsterdam.
Scroll Down for Content
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Oskar Verkaaik, Department Chair, [email protected]
Other Vacancies from this field Social Science and Humanities
Scroll Down for Content