The centre currently runs several research programmes with the Future Cities Laboratory (FCL) as one of the programmes. It is home to a community of over 100 PhD, postdoctoral and Professorial researchers working on diverse themes related to sustainable cities and resilient infrastructure systems. In the course of their work, researchers actively collaborate with universities, research institutes, industry, and government agencies with the aim of offering practical solutions.
The Resource Efficient Urban Intensification (EFF) research group within FCL, SEC, aims to derive quantitative, predictive models of how the densification of cities impacts their social and economic functioning, as well as their resource efficiency. To that end, the research will make use of large-scale human activity data (e.g., aggregated mobile phone data) and other types of urban data.
FCL Global in Singapore is looking for an exceptional candidate to fill a postdoctoral fellow position for 2 years in the field of data-driven urban modelling.
- Analysis of ‘big’ urban data with respect to human activity patterns in cities.
- Development of mathematical models for the densification of cities and its impact on social and economic life, as well as on urban resource efficiency.
- Contribution to the design of the research project.
- Collaboration with both academic and industrial partners of the project.\
- Co-authorship of scientific publications in leading peer-reviewed journals and/or top conferences.
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Physics, Engineering, or equivalent
- Strong track record of publications
- Experience in the field of urban analytics and/or human mobility
- Practical skills in MATLAB, Python and/or R, as well as in the use of GIS tools
- Strong communication skills in English, both oral and written
The Singapore-ETH-Centre is an equal opportunity and family-friendly employer. You will be evaluated on their merits and qualifications, without regards to gender, race, age or religion.
chevron_rightWorking, teaching and research at ETH Zurich
We value diversity
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) including educational history, full list of publications, awards, etc
- Cover letter explaining your interests, goals, and how they would relate to and fit in with the EFF group’s research
- Copy of your publication relevant to the project
- Contact details of at least 2 references, mentioning for each of them the professional relationship you have with them
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
For further information about the position, please contact Asst Prof Markus Schläpfer by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications).