Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top universities. The University has around 45 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset.
The Department of Physics at Lund University, Faculty of Engineering invites applications for a position as Assistant Professor.
The Division of Atomic Physics at the Physics Department, Faculty of Engineering (LTH), Lund University has a staff of about 50 researchers including guest researchers and graduate students. The research at the division is mainly based on the use of lasers, ranging from diode lasers to terawatt lasers at the High-Power Laser Facility. Research areas include interactions between intense laser-fields and matter and VUV/XUV laser spectroscopy, quantum electronics, quantum information, quantum optics and solid state spectroscopy, applied molecular spectroscopy, laser applications in medicine and biology, and industrial applications. More information can be found at www.atomic.physics.lu.se/.
The position is linked to the Quantum Information Group at the Atomic Physics Division. The research of the group is focused on quantum applications using rare earth-ion doped crystals, such as quantum memories, quantum computer schemes, metrology, single ion detection and medical applications. The research of the Assistant Professor is expected to complement and/or strengthen the competence and capabilities of the Quantum Information Group.
The position is supported by the Wallenberg Centre for Quantum Technology (WACQT). WACQT is a > 100 M€, 12-year initiative with the purpose of advancing Swedish academia and industry to the forefront of quantum technology, and to build a Swedish quantum computer. WACQT is committed to promoting career development, diversity and gender equality through networking and supporting activities.
In addition to salary for the holder, WACQT provides funding for a 4-year PhD position, a 2-year postdoc position and 6 million Swedish kronor for experimental equipment.
The position includes teaching, typically 20 % of a full-time position averaged over the entire period of the employment.
SubjectPhysics with a focus on experimental quantum technology
Subject descriptionThe research area for the position is experimental quantum technology with light/matter interaction. The applicant is expected to define the area more closely in a research plan as part of the application (see below). Examples of possible orientations in the field can be quantum communication, quantum memories, quantum computer hardware, quantum gates, slow or fast light and quantum biophotonics or specializations bordering those above.
Work dutiesEmployment as an assistant professor is a tenure track position, which aims for the holder to develop their independence as a researcher and educator. The work duties mainly involve research and teaching. The position includes the opportunity to undertake five weeks of training in teaching and learning in higher education.
Work duties include:
- Research within the subject area.
- Development of methods and hardware relevant for the research area.
- Teaching in the first, second and third cycles of studies.
- Supervision of degree projects and doctoral students.
- Actively seeking external research funding.
- Collaboration with industry and wider society.
- Administration related to the work duties listed above.
Qualification requirements Qualification requirements for employment as an assistant professor are fulfilled by someone who has been awarded a doctorate or has the corresponding research competence. Primary consideration should be given to someone who has been awarded a doctorate or achieved the equivalent competence within five years of the deadline for application for employment as an assistant professor. However, someone who has been awarded a doctorate or achieved the equivalent expertise at an earlier date may also be considered if there are special grounds. Special grounds are sick leave, parental leave or other similar circumstances.
For appointment to assistant professor, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- A good ability to develop and carry out high quality research.
- Teaching ability.
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
- Significant documented research experience relevant for the position subject description.
As part of their application, the applicant must submit a research plan that clearly describes the research that will be conducted during the employment within the subject “Physics with a focus on experimental quantum technology”. The plan must also describe how the applicant’s research can complement and strengthen the research at the physics department. The quality of the research plan will weigh heavily in the assessment of the application. The research plan must also show which existing research infrastructure (at Lund University and/or at facilities with an open application procedure) can be used and whether there is a need for new research infrastructure.
Significant documented research experience (e.g. from postdoc or doctoral studies) from another university/institute or relevant experience from industry/public sector.
- Collaborative skills, initiative and the ability to solve work tasks. independently, as well as a demonstrated interest in leadership.
- Documented project management experience.
- Documented experience from supervision of candidate or master project supervision.
- Documented experience from supervision of PhD candidates.
- Documented experience from teaching.
- Documentation of high quality of teaching, e.g. through course evaluations or pedagogical prizes.
The extent to which the applicant, through their experience and skills, may complement and strengthen ongoing research, undergraduate education, departmental innovation, and how they can contribute to the future development of the department will also be taken into consideration.
Terms of employmentThis is a full-time, fixed-term employment of 6 years. The employment is regulated in accordance with Chapter 4 Section 12a§ HEA. The purpose of the appointment is for the teacher to be given the opportunity to develop research autonomy and acquire the scholarly and teaching qualifications required for eligibility for appointment as a senior lecturer.
We offer Lund University is a public authority which means that employees get particular benefits, generous annual leave and an advantageous occupational pension scheme. Read more on the University website about being a Lund University employee:https://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/about-university/work-lund-university.
Instructions on how to applyApplications shall be written in English. Please draw up the application in accordance with LTH’s Academic qualifications portfolio – see link below. Upload the application as PDF-files in the recruitment system. Read more:http://www.lth.se/english/working-at-lth/to-apply-for-academic-positions-at-lth/
Promotion to Senior Lecturer in Physics with a focus on experimental quantum technology
During the period of employment, an assistant professor can apply for promotion to a permanent position as Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) if he or she has the required qualifications listed below, and is deemed suitable. An assistant professor can only apply for promotion once.
Qualification requirements Appointment to senior lecturer requires that the applicant has:
- A PhD or corresponding research competence or professional expertise considered important with regard to the subject matter of the post and the work duties it will involve.
- Demonstrated teaching expertise.
- Completed five weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning, or acquired equivalent knowledge by other means.
Assessment criteria The assessment criteria specify the aspects to be considered, and the level to be achieved, for the assessment criteria to be deemed fulfilled. The following assessment criteria must be fulfilled for appointment to senior lecturer:
- A good national and international standing as a researcher. The requirement for international experience shall be assessed with consideration to the character and traditions of the subject.
- Good teaching ability, including a good ability to conduct, develop and lead teaching and other educational activities on different levels and using a variety of teaching methods.
- An ability to supervise doctoral students to achieve a PhD.
- An ability to collaborate with wider society and communicate his or her activities.
- A good general ability to lead and develop activities.
- Good ability to collaborate, independence and drive.
- Progression in research and teaching expertise.
- Demonstrated ability to attract external research funding in competition.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to renewal and development.
- Sufficient knowledge of Swedish to carry out administrative and educational tasks that require an understanding of Swedish.
LTH forms the Faculty of Engineering at Lund University, with approximately 9 000 students. The research carried out at LTH is of a high international standard and we are continuously developing our teaching methods and adapting our courses to current needs.
The Department of Physics is with a staff of about 350 scientists and educators one of the largest departments within Lund University. There are seven research divisions and a number of research centra within the department. The research activities at the department cover a broad spectrum of modern physics. www.fysik.lu.se/english.
We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
- Type of employment Temporary position
- Contract type Full time
- First day of employment As soon as possible
- Salary Monthly
- Number of positions 1
- Full-time equivalent 100 %
- City Lund
- County Skåne län
- Country Sweden
- Reference number PA2023/783
- Jörgen Larsson, +46462223099
- SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds universitet, 046-2229364,firstname.lastname@example.org
- OFR/ST:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, 046-2229362,email@example.com
Published 11.Jul.2023 Last application date 29.Sep.2023 11:59 PM CEST