We are looking for an associate professor in the field of International Management, broadly defined, who fits the research profile of our department. In particular, we are looking for candidates with an affinity with, and a track record of research in, one or more of the following topics:
- Sustainability and corporate social responsibility (CSR)
- Digitalization and Artificial Intelligence
- Culture and institutions
- Internationalization and international strategy
- Ownership and corporate governance
The successful candidate will have the ability to conduct high-quality, creative research in the areas of interest to the department and to publish in high-ranked international journals. You are expected to take on management and coordination roles with respect to teaching and research activities in the department.Regarding teaching, he/she will contribute to courses in the Bachelor of Science (BSc) and Master of Science (MSc) programmes offered by the department, including the supervision of Bachelor’s and Master’s theses. Contribution to the highly selective two-year Research Master is also possible. We also expect that candidates are willing to incorporate societally relevant faculty-wide “focus areas” in their teaching. Examples are Digitalization and Artificial Intelligence, and Future Prosperity and Sustainability.
OrganisationAs a result of sustained growth in our international business programs, the Department of Global Economics & Management, University of Groningen (Netherlands) is inviting applications for an Associate Professor of International Management.
The department is an active and international research group, consisting of approximately 80 people and encompasses International Management as well as International Economics. The department is unified by its interest to perform theory-driven empirical research on (de-)globalization, sustainability, global value chains, multinational firms, CSR, ownership, governance, and cultural and institutional change. Members of our department who work on these topics include Rian Drogendijk, Gary Ge, Anne Kellers, Alan Muller, Maria Cristina Sestu, Jiyoung Shin, and Rieneke Slager. Their research has been published in a wide range of top journals including Journal of International Business Studies, Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, Organisation Studies, Business & Society, Global Strategy Journal, and Journal of World Business.
The department offers two three-year Bachelor programmes, namely the BSc International Business, and the BSc Economics & Business Economics. In addition, it is responsible for two one-year MSc programmes: the MSc in International Business & Management, and the MSc in Economic Development & Globalization. Members of the department also teach in the selective honours programme for BSc students, as well as the challenging two-year Research Master programme, which is intended for students aiming at a PhD. All courses taught by the department are international in content and instruction is in English.
To qualify as associate professor, the ideal candidate:
- has a PhD degree and is an emerging scholar in the field of international management, broadly defined
- has developed a research profile that matches the research interests of the department
- has a track record of outstanding academic research and teaching
- has developed an international network
- contributes to society with their research
- is able to provide leadership, motivation, and supervision to other staff members, including PhD candidates
- has strong management qualities, evidenced by previous management or coordination roles
- is able to acquire external funding for applied research contracts as well as PhD candidate positions, evidenced by a strong track record in acquiring funding in the (recent) past
- works well in an international, culturally diverse environment.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a tenured position with a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 5,784 to a maximum of € 7,362 gross salary per month (salary scale 14) for a full-time position as an Associate Professor
- excluding 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. Favourable tax treatment may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
The starting date is flexible
Applicants are requested to submit:
- a motivation letter
- a complete curriculum vitae
- one self-selected research paper, either published or not, that well represents the applicant’s research focus
- a short statement of research accomplishments and future research goals and five keywords descriptive of research area
- three letters of recommendation.
You may apply for this position until 1 October 11:59pm/ before 2 October 2023 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on “Apply” below on the advertisement on the university website)
We will begin reviewing applications as of August 2023 and will continue until the position is filled.
The University of Groningen strives to be a university in which students and staff are respected and feel at home, regardless of differences in background, experiences, perspectives, and identities. We believe that working on our core values of inclusion and equality are a joint responsibility and we are constructively working on creating a socially safe environment. Diversity among students and staff members enriches academic debate and contributes to the quality of our teaching and research. We therefore invite applicants from underrepresented groups in particular to apply. For more information, see also our diversity policy webpage: https://www.rug.nl/(…)rsity-and-inclusion/
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP): https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/nl/sollicitatiecode and European Commission’s European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
We provide career services for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
- Rian Drogendijk (for questions about the position), email@example.com
- Alan Muller (for questions about the position), firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.