UNIL is a leading international teaching and research institution, with over 5,000 employees and 17,000 students split between its Dorigny campus, CHUV and Epalinges. As an employer, UNIL encourages excellence, individual recognition and responsibility.
The Faculty of Biology and Medicine (FBM) of the University of Lausanne is inviting applications for position of:
Tenure track Assistant Prof. or Associate Professor in evolutionary ecology at the Department of Ecology and Evolution (DEE)
The DEE covers the breadth of ecology and evolution and aims to cultivate an atmosphere of scientific excellence which is respectful of people. We are composed of independent research groups working on a wide range of different ecological, evolutionary, and conservation biology topics that span fundamental and theoretical research through to more applied research.
Starting date: 2024
Place: Lausanne, Switzerland
Main tasks – Research:
- in the field of evolutionary ecology, conduct independent and innovative research of world quality, financed by competitive funds and published in peer-reviewed international journals.
- In compliance with the legal and ethical provisions, ensure the direction of a research group, coordinate its research with that developed in other groups in a spirit of collaboration, and participate in the preparation of the next generation of academics.
- Collaborate in the scientific and academic life of the Department and the Faculty, contribute to impact at regional, national and international levels, while actively participating in international conferences.
Main tasks –Teaching:
- Teach the basic course of evolutionary biology in the Bachelor of biology.
- Supervise master and PhD theses, contribute to the evaluation and mentoring of master and PhD students.
- Organize and participate in internal and external seminars, etc.
UNIL is committed to promoting gender equality and diversity and strongly encourages applications from female candidates. www.unil.ch/egalite
Desired profile :
- PhD in Science, with experience in the field of evolutionary ecology. We are open to diverse profiles, with a preference for an experimentalist studying physiological or behavioral adaptations. You will bring expertise in organismal biology, physiology, or behavioral ecology.
- Priority will be given to candidates who contribute to balance the diversity of organisms studied and to minimize the environmental impact of research programs.
- Strong research background, publications in high-level international journals and ability to raise funds.
- Pedagogical knowledge of academic level with confirmed practice in teaching of evolutionary biology.
- Managerial skills (management of various teams and projects).
- Preference will be given to a personality open to communication and cooperation, able to stimulate young colleagues.
- Good knowledge of French is required, or an ability to acquire it quickly.
What the position offers you
The successful candidate will receive startup package as well as an annual research and consumable endowment in a dynamic research environment.
We offer a nice working place in a multicultural, diverse and dynamic academic environment. Opportunities for professional training, a lot of activities and other benefits to discover.
Contact for further information
Further information may be obtained from Prof. Marc Robinson-Rechavi (email@example.com), Director of the DEE.
Applications, in English, should include 1) a motivation letter, 2) a curriculum vitae, 3) a list of publications highlighting the five most significant ones, 4) a brief statement of the past and future research, including an evaluation of environmental impact of future research, 5) a summary of previous teaching experience, 6) your vision of the field’s development in the mid/long term, 7) names and contact information of at least three references, 8) a copy of diplomas and a valid ID card.
Full applications should be submitted online as a single PDF file by September 30th 2023 (23:59 GMT+1). Only applications sent through this site will be considered.
UNIL is committed to equal opportunities and diversity. www.unil.ch/egalite
UNIL supports early career researchers. www.unil.ch/graduatecampus