Do you want to contribute to the world’s green transition and be part of a group of researchers and engineers who are testing and modeling composite structures and components for wind turbines?
DTU Wind and Energy Systems invites applications with a passion for Finite Element Modelling of Composite Structures and Components for a position as Research Assistant to support the research and development of high-performance numerical simulation techniques in different projects.
Responsibilities and qualifications
We seek a Research Assistant who can contribute to our research team working on both testing and modeling of composite structures and components. You will join a large cross-disciplinary, international team collaborating on fulfilling the R&D demands of key industry players in the wind energy industry. The particular areas of responsibilities include:
- Finite Element modelling of fiber polymer composite structures and components in particular both pre-processing modeling and damage/failure/fracture simulations
- Development of codes and simulation tools for modeling defects and damages in large-scale composite structures and sub-components
- Supporting experimental tasks for modeling validations
- Reporting and documentation
As a formal qualification, you must have a master’s degree in engineering or equivalent. Furthermore, good English language communication skills are essential. Applicants should be highly motivated, ambitious, and eager to seek and share knowledge, willing and able to work as part of a team as well as through interdisciplinary collaboration with industrial partners and across the different sections in DTU Wind and Energy Systems Department.
We expect you to have a background and qualifications in a few of the following areas:
- Specialization in mechanical, aerospace, or structural engineering with good experience in fiber composite materials and structures.
- Strong experience with finite element analysis software Abaqus including Abaqus CAE, writing both input files and user subroutines.
- Strong experience with Matlab, Python and Fortran
- Good experience with GUI development
- Good experience with engineering drawing software, such as Solidworks, AutoCAD, CATIA
- Proven experience in reporting and documentation
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to
- Course taken and grades in both undergraduate and graduate studies
- Previous internship and work experience
- Ability to work independently, proactively, and in a well-organized way with minimum supervision
- Ability to collaborate with other researchers and engineers.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
The period of employment is 1 year with a possibility of extension based on the performance and the availability of funding. The position starts in September 2023 or according to mutual agreement.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here.
If you would like additional information about the position, please contact Associate Professor Xiao Chen, firstname.lastname@example.org and Head of Section Senior Scientist Kim Branner, email@example.com
You can read more about DTU Wind Energy at www.windenergy.dtu.dk/english
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark.
Your complete online application must be submitted no later than 30 June 2023 (Danish time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Academic Diplomas (MSc)
- School transcripts in both undergraduate and graduate studies, including all courses taken and the score of each course
- Names and e-mail addresses or telephone numbers of at least 2 referees
- No more than 3 (co-)authored publications and/or reports
- All materials in English and in one PDF file
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear mission to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That mission lives on today. DTU has 13,500 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. DTU has campuses in all parts of Denmark and in Greenland, and we collaborate with the best universities around the world.
- Job Identification- 1811
- Job Category- VIP B
- Posting Date- 24/05/2023, 13:50
- Apply Before- 01/07/2023, 03:29
- Locations- Frederiksborgvej 399, Roskilde, 4000, DK