The Chair of Sustainable Construction at ETH Zurich intends to ground sustainability in the disciplines of the built environment. We develop new materials and processes for climate neutral and circular construction. To support the development of alternative building materials,
We are targeting 01 March 2021 as starting date (or upon agreement) with a workload of 60-80%.
Context: The climate crisis is urging us to act fast. Buildings are a key leverage point to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but the embodied emissions related to their construction and renovation remain often the hidden challenge of any ambitious policy. In the group, we develop materials, mainly based on earth and clay which are renewable, recyclable, zero carbon and healthy for users. We develop these materials in the laboratory, sometimes in collaboration with industry partners or architecture offices. We also conduct workshops for students and professionals to raise awareness and train them on the use of earth and biobased materials. The laboratory and material research are growing as well as the need for preparation and logistic.
We are looking for support in the laboratory and on the field. Transport material and exchange with material providers, and partners from the research group. Preparation of the material, development of new mixes, and improvement of existing experimental methods. Material characterisation and performance enhancement.
- You are concerned about the environment’s future and like to do handwork.
- We seek individuals with a subset of the following skills: Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in material science, civil or material engineering, physics or a similar field or relevant work experience.
- Experience in experimental laboratory work and a strong interest in alternative building materials is highly recommended.
- Optimally, the you should have a background in material characterization, formulation (mix design) and process optimization.
- Furthermore, you should enjoy working in teams, be ready to meet new challenges, and simultaneously contribute to multiple projects/demands.
- A driving licence is needed.
We offer work in an interdisciplinary environment with civil engineers, material and environmental scientists and architects. The Chair of Sustainable Construction is a welcoming group of about 15 people. Trust and kindness are key values.
We value diversity
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
We look forward to receiving your online application with the following documents:
- a cover letter that describes your motivation and research experience
- a full CV
- a list of completed projects or scientific papers
- name and address/contact details of two referees
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
For further questions please contact Prof. Dr Guillaume Habert (email@example.com) (Please do not send applications). More information about the Chair of Sustainable Construction are available online (www.sc.ibi.ethz.ch).